Two flats with resident freeholder with no lease...transfer of share of freehold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two flats with resident freeholder with no lease...transfer of share of freehold?

Firstly I'd like to thank Richard Webster for his advice on this elsewhere...I just want to try and get as much advice as possible, ideally from people who have come up against similar problems.

Property is a house converted into two flats. Developer (who had purchased house as single entity) sold 1st floor flat in 2002 and set up lease between himself as landlord and 1st floor flat.

Lease states:

"The Landlord undertakes with the Tenant immediately following the grant of a lease of the last of the flats in the Building to complete the transfer of the Landlord's freehold reversion in the Building to the joint names of at least one of the owners of that time of the Ground Floor Flat and the First Floor Flat"

However, when the developer sold the Ground Floor Flat in late 2003 this did not happen (presumably to avoid the extra expense); the Ground Floor Flat retained the whole freehold and no lease was drawn up for it.

I subsequently purchased the First Floor Flat in 2004 and was not made aware of any implications of this arrangement.

I am now having problems selling the flat as the buyer insists that they will not proceed until they have 'secured an ability to acquire a share in the freehold of the property'. I understand that this relates to the ability to enforce the covenants in the lease: under the present arrangements the Tenant in the First Floor Flat can only enforce convenants with regard to the Ground Floor Flat via the Freeholder, who being the occupier of the flat is unlikely to act against himself. These covenants are present in the lease ("To impose in any Lease of the Ground Floor Flat...covenants..in similar terms to those..of the Lease...and until such a Lease is granted the Landlord will be responsible for the performance and observance of such covenants").

It would seem very unlikely that I would be able to persuade the freeholder to transfer a share of the freehold and draw up a Lease for the Ground Floor Flat even if I were to offer to pay the legal fees for this as there is no benefit to them in doing this, and in this situation enfranchisement cannot be forced (resident freeholder, less than four flats).

So my questions are: (i) is there any way of resolving this impasse? and (ii) should my solicitors have recognised this situation when I purchased the property?

Any help or advice most gratefully received...

You could seek advice by making an appointment to see an advisor at LEASE ( www.lease-advice.org).

Comment

Thanks, I have already had a word with them, and they seemed to think that most buyers would not find this a problem...? I had two people interested in the property: one enquired about this initially and now the other, whose offer I accepted, has come up with the same issue 2 months into the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Faloola Chong View Post
        Thanks, I have already had a word with them, and they seemed to think that most buyers would not find this a problem...? I had two people interested in the property: one enquired about this initially and now the other, whose offer I accepted, has come up with the same issue 2 months into the process.
        I tend to agree, I think they see it as getting a freehold, which of course it is not. As long as the lease has clear obligations for the landlord which the tenant can enforce, they are just being a bit picky.

So tell them you are selling as is, they can enforce the terms of the lease, and spend the time and money and get the benefit.

If you secured the interest in the freehold then you would selling the flat and your interest in the freehold. The price would then go up.....
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

If I understand correctly from my solicitor the problem is that at present the terms of the lease cannot be enforced by the leaseholder.

The freeholder cannot be forced to transfer a share of the freehold; this would only happen if they choose (or agree) to grant themselves a lease on their flat (and why would they want to do this?).

It is not clear at present how the tenant would be able to enforce the landlord's obligations in the lease, as it is the landlord who is reponsible for enforcing these obligations.

Obtaining an interest in the freehold would overcome this paradox I presume (as these obligations would then be enforceable through the other lease?)

Comment

Also I forgot to mention that it is a 999-year lease, which I understand means that the interest in the freehold would have negligible value

Comment

See this thread: http://www.houseweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2814
              RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Thanks again Richard for all your advice in that thread - as I said, just trying to get together as much information as I possibly can to try and solve this problem

Comment

It's just occurred to me that technically we don't have a resident freeholder as the owner of the other flat and freehold has been living in the US for the past two years while letting the flat to her ex-partner

Not sure if this could have any bearing on the matter

She is also close to completing a sale of the flat and freehold, just to further complicate matters

Comment

I think this has to be two seperate things.

1: Enforcing the terms of the lease ( ignoring freehold) such as repairs insurance nuisance etc. As long as the terms of the lease are adequate, then they are being picky.

There response is frankly wrong. While unlikely to act, they are contractually obliged to, even if you need to require a court to instruct them to act.*

If it is only two flats, if you have two leaseholders A + B that have a flat each and A + B jointly own the freehold, the situation is exactly the same. B cannot force A, a joint freeholder to take action against themselves as they are in deadlock, 1 vote each. What your buyer is asking for makes no difference when it comes to enforcing the lease !!!!

2: Freehold; actually until the freeholder grants a lease, the clause is not operative or enforceable. It may as well not be there.

If the buyer is insisting that they want a share of the freehold then that is not what you were selling them. You were selling a 999 year lease.

As to value of the FH, if all the flats were on 999 year leases, then the value is quite low ( in most cases). With a flat that is not subject to a lease, the FH is actually quite valuable.

*That said if the building qualifies this could be regarded as a breach of covenant which allows the appointment of an LVT appointed manager, compulsory acquisition of the freehold, or right manage.
                    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks, that's really helpful. Point 1 confirms what I couldn't work out: I couldn't see how the alternative shared freehold situation would make any practical difference

Comment

Which makes me suspect they don't actually understand what they are asking for....

"Share of freehold is good right? That's like the freehold, I'll have that then".

Comment

What are the annual ground rent and service charge payments on your 999 year lease flat property ?

Comment

Ground rent is a peppercorn and there are no service charges (no communal areas and lease assigns responsibility for repairs to and maintenance of specific parts of building to each flat)

Comment

1. So with 999 years lease at peppercorn ground rent, the flat is virtually freehold except your name is not on the property title registered at the Land Registry.
                              Under the terms of your lease , do you need to pay to register any change of the mortgage lender or pay buildings insurance to the freeholder ?

2, I was wondering if you explained/educate to your potential buyer that

(a) you are not able to include a transfer of share of the freehold as the terms of lease are not satisfied by the freeholder.
                              (b) based on current peppercorn ground rent ( i.e NIL GR payment ), gaining a share of the freehold will not bring anymore benefit compared to present status as leaseholder.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Variation of lease
                                by scampicat
                                I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
                                25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
                              • Reply to Variation of lease
                                by sgclacy
                                A ground rent of £150 per annum increasing by 50% every 10 years until it reaches £3,844.33 with 2 years to go before it makes its first doubling would cost around £7,600 plus 0.33% of the value of the flat to have a statutory lease extension

One of the difficulties in proposing any...
                                13-08-2020, 01:08 AM
                              • Reply to FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
                                by sgclacy
                                Once the Land Registry have closed the title and a new lease granted there is no redress for the lessee seeking relief from forfeiture

The land registry will write to any party shown in the charges register and the tenant before closing the title - therefore illustrating the need to make...
                                13-08-2020, 00:03 AM
                              • FH forfeits and sells before 6 months window for relief?
                                by Loque
                                999yr Long lease commercial, lessee in breach, S146 served, S146 expires without being complied with, FH re-enters and changes locks.

Now... LH can go to court to claim relief from forfeiture for the remediable breach, usually within 6 months or so. BUT lets say once FH has re-entered he...
                                12-08-2020, 13:26 PM
                              • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                                by Gordon999
                                Its in section 98 of Commonhold &Leasehold Reform Act 2002.

Where a person who is—

(a)landlord under a long lease of the whole or any part of the premises, or

(b)party to such a lease otherwise than as landlord or tenant,

has functions in relation...
                                12-08-2020, 22:27 PM
                              • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                                by chris1544
                                We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
                                12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
                              • Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
                                by Lorimer
                                There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
                                12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
                              • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                                by Stew
                                sounds like a major win
                                12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
                              • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
                                by KingstonBee
                                Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
                                10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
                              • Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
                                by Boab
                                Is there any reason why I cannot let a freehold flat on a two flat maisonette where there are two freeholders with a deed of covenant between the two to cover such issues as maintaining the property? There appears to be nothing in the covenant restricting renting my property out and it’s been done...
                                10-08-2020, 06:12 AM
                              Working...
                              X