Fit parking bollard & safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fit parking bollard & safety

I have a flat in a block. The flat has an allocated parking space, which is abused by other residents/visitors.

I have complained to the management company. I am wondering, if I can install one of those bollards. The type which you can lock / unlock with a key.

I have seen all these avderts about accident falls and trips. Just wondering, if there is a claim if a kid trip over say the parking bollard?. I have seen others paint their bright yellow. But is this sufficient?

Depends entirely on your lease as to whether you own the space and can alter it or if it is merely an allocated area.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Either way, I doubt that a single leaseholder will have power to install anything like a post.
      Do the other leaseholders not face similar problems- why is this bay different from all the other bays?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If they own the space and there is no requirement to get consent for that alteration or restrictions, yes they could. And do. it cuts down a lot of calls from the neighbors of BTL owners with one space and three tenants all with cars.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

leaseholdanswers : Depends entirely on your lease as to whether you own the space and can alter it or if it is merely an allocated area.

I have seen the Leaseplan, and there is a box around my parking space. I will check if it is "allocated" or "owned" parking space.

jeffrey: Either way, I doubt that a single leaseholder will have power to install anything like a post. Do the other leaseholders not face similar problems- why is this bay different from all the other bays?

I don't know about other blocks. IN the block where I own my flat. There are 5 garages and 5 parking spaces. So someone has somewhere to park either a garage or a parking space. I only have the parking space. The problem has come about, as the garages are too small for today's bigger cars.

This is the response I have from the (resident) director of the share of freehold company in relation to some enquiries.

"the managing agents are only responsible for confirming that [the parking space] it is yours, which it is. There was no parking management in place in the lease, and therefore nothing currently for management company to enforce"
          :

I did suggest, when landlord let properties, they should let them know about problems with the garages. This is the response:

"We have no rights to enforce landlords to responsibly let their properties , and even if we did, as a collective estate, we do not have the funds to take landlords to court if they don't."

There is a bit of politics. The director of the share of freehold company, is one of those that has garages which are too small.....

Comment

If there is no parking management, then you can put up a lockable bollard and add a plastic sign to show the parking space allocated to flat no. X
            ( and if renting out , charge the installation cost against your rental income.)

Comment

Rajesh, I think this item might be what you need:

http://www.edsuk.com/item.php?id=270

Anyone who trips over that probably needs some sense knocking into them anyway!

Comment

Rather than fish around, it depends on entirely the title and or rights that you have the the space. The answer may be in several places in the lease look for everything related to parking spaces and the demise.

As long as you have an exclusive right to the the space and are not prevented from altering the space, then you can take reasonable steps to prevent trespass.

Comment

I have had opportunity to check the Lease. I have checked the plan there is a 'red' line around the flat and also the parking space. It refers to the flat and parking space as a (kind of) demised premises.

Based on people's comments I can fit a bollard. I am cheesed off, as I have to spend money to protect this parking space, but those who steal my parking space don't face any penalties....

Comment

Yes- if you are lessee of parking space, along with flat, it's yours on the same basis (subject to the same covenants).
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X