dispute over demise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dispute over demise

hi i am a free holder, i sold a first floor flat in 1980 on a 99 year lease, the lease plan shows the demised first floor flat edged red. how ever within the edged red is the stair case leading up from the ground floor to the first floor flat. the lessee of the first floor flat claims that the stair case belongs to her because it is edged red in her demise plan. the demised premises are described in the lease as be all that the first floor flat situated on the first floor edged red on the plan attached.

the problem is that from the stairs leading up to the first floor is another set of stairs leading to a flat on the second floor of the building.

the leassee to the first floor flat is now saying that the stairs leading up to the second floor are encroaching on her demise and have to be removed and is threatening to remove them, effectively she is saying that the leassee to the second floor flat is trespassing through her demise to get to the stairs of the second floor flat.

in the lease of the first floor flat there is no reference to the stairs leading up to the first floor being demised to the first floor flat which the leassee is claiming to be hers as it is edged within the red to her lease plan. the communal areas should be couloured pink, the hallway leading to the stairs on the ground floor are coloured pink, however the stairs to the first floor and second floor are not pink.

the lease plan however of one of the two ground floor flats does show the hallway and the staircase leading up to the first floor flat as coloured pink.

so please i need your advice as to what to do with the problem leassee of the first floor flat? and is she right?

This is a difficult question to answer without seeing a copy of the lease. I would suggest that you obtain professional advice from a solicitor who is familiar with leasehold property. It shouldn't take too long to read through a lease and advise you.

I would expect the definition of "demised premises" (or the equivalent) in a 1980s lease to be a great deal more detailed than simply "all that first floor flat shown edged red on the attached plan". Is there no mention of beams, joists, ceilings, walls etc.?

Are the common parts defined (besides the reference to pink colouring)?

It sounds as though there may be an clerical defect in the lease. An application to the LVT to vary the terms of the lease would not be appropriate under either section 35 or 37 of the LTA 87; however, I believe a Court would have the power to rectify an obvious clerical defect (I can't recall the relevant caselaw to support this).

Comment

How stupid is your lessee? She must have noticed stairs up to 2nd floor when she bought. Some people have too much time on their hands I think.
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
        by Flatman78
        Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
        Thanks for taking time to reply though....
        23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
      • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
        by Flatman78
        Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
        with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
        23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
      • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
        by Flatman78
        Thanks Macromia, I'm hoping not to have to request quotes to include extra 'contingency' as I know some building materials literally jumped by up to 80% pretty much overnight and so I / we could end up paying a hell of a lot more than we have to go with a 'protective' quote.

It's only me...
        23-05-2022, 20:27 PM
      • RTM Hand Over Issues
        by martin15
        RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
        Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
        23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
      • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
        by ash72
        You could sue the other company for the money owed.
        23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
      • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
        by Hudson01
        I am clearly no expert but i think this statement from the all knowing WWW appears to fit the bill for what has happened to you.................

'' Fraud can be broadly defined as the deliberate use of deception or dishonesty to disadvantage or cause loss (usually financial) to another...
        23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
      • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
        by Gordon999
        You could show the last service charge demanded by previous managing agent . There should be a final summary of the service charge account.to show the unspent funds.
        23-05-2022, 18:26 PM
      • Old managing agents accounts
        by jazzythumper
        Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
        20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
      • Building works & S20 process
        by RichA
        Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
        21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
      • Reply to Building works & S20 process
        by Macromia
        Good questions.
        The fact that the cost of work means that Section 20 consultation is required doesn't necessarily mean that it is major work that will require a project manager and, although most leases will contain clauses that allow the cost of project management to be recovered from leaseholders,...
        23-05-2022, 18:23 PM
      Working...
      X