Lease variation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease variation

Freeholder has offered me a licence permitting subletting or a variation of my lease removing the absolute prohibition against subletting. As his solicitor is doing the work do I need a solicitor to act on my behalf?

Thanks for any help or advice.

No, but do you trust L's solicitor to act impartially (and why?) Will the solicitor register the Deed against both titles AND obtain consent from your mortgage (lender) secured on the leasehold?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

There is no mortgage lender. I don't have any more details until I accept the offer of either option and there is a time limit to reply or the offer is withdrawn. As to trusting L's solicitor, can they change the conditions without advising me first?

Comment

Well nothing they put in the deed is valid until you sign it.

If you fully understand it and all your obligations, then you may not need advice. But do you understand? If the answer is not an immediate yes, then perhaps it is wise to take advice. If the draft deed ( or correspondance setting out the terms) is with you, why not take advice, bearing in mind the tiny cost relative to the value of the home, and that the solicitor can probably advise within a day or so.

Our humble correspondant from the North, Jeffrey( Nether Edge Law) may be able to help on a fee paying basis or use the Law Society portal http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosin...asolicitor.law.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have seen a (2nd) solicitor but my nerves are getting the better of me as they are terribly slow to reply and unsympathetic. I wish I had contacted Jeffrey right at the start of this mess and if solicitor does not contact me tomorrow I will get in touch with him.

Thanks again

Comment

For most solicitors this is run of the mill stuff and that they are relaxed is that they suspect, perhaps with good reason that the landlord's deadline is artificial. If you are nervous then rely on the solicitors to advise you properly, but don't be afraid to say very simply and very briefly, that this needs urgent attention. To you that means instantly, however politely explain you need to understand to be reassured, particulary how they can work to the deadline. And then say nothing else let them fill the nervous silence ( a side effect of being nervous is that the nervous person is afraid of the answer and the uncertainty, and therefore keeps talking).

You are the client; expect to be respected and reassured. Then trust them to get on with it and take reassurance in that.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Post #6 amply shows why OP:
              a. should not expect disinterested advice from L's solicitor; and
              b. needs her own's disinterested advice.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X