Deed Of rectificication - should I pay for legal advice??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deed Of rectificication - should I pay for legal advice??

Hello all, hope this is the correct forum for this query. I own the downstairs of a pair of flats that have a Tyneside lease. I own the freehold for upstairs and vice versa and there is a peppercorn "rent". The owner of the upstairs is selling her property and I have been sent a deed of rectification by her solicitor. I received approximately 6-8 phone messages before I even received the thing basically asking me to hurry up and sign it. I spoke to her solicitor who told me it only applied to the lease of the upstairs flat as my lease is correct and basically it was "nothing". It was supposedly to correct where the shared land was incorrectly marked on the upstairs lease. However when I have received it there is mention of my property and foundations as well as the shared land and to be blunt I don't understand what it is saying. The solicitor for the upstairs owner told me I could get a solicitor to look over it but obviously that is going to cost me money I don't have at this point in time (I am on maternity leave so we are living on one income). Should I being paying for legal advice to sign an amendment that only affects the upstairs property or should the owner of the flat who wants the amendment pay for it? My cup of human kindness does not exactly runneth over towards the upstairs owner due to various problems, so am loathe to pay for something unless I am legally bound to.

Tyneside leases always have such problems!
    I do not know the background here but why should anything need rectifying if all was OK at the outset?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Her solicitor told me it should have been dealt with when the current owners purchased the property but it wasn't so now it has to be dealt with before their sale can go ahead. My lease is apparently correct - it is just theirs. The drawing of the boundaries i.e what is theirs, what is mine and what is shared looks the same as the drawing in my lease. However their solicitor said it was just about shared land, but there are two points to the rectification. One seems to be talking about the shared land, but the other one seems to just mention my property. I am unwilling to sign it without legal advice, but I do not want to have to pay for this if it is to sort out a problem with my neighbours lease being wrong. Does it seem correct for someone not involved in the sale of a property to pay for legal advice to rectify a mistake in a neighbours lease? The number of calls I have received from the solicitor, the auction house who sold the property and the owner of the property makes it clear they want it signed pronto.

Comment

Perhaps inform them you will not sign it unless you have had your own solicitor look over it, AT THEIR EXPENSE?

Comment

Originally posted by thevaliant View Post
          Perhaps inform them you will not sign it unless you have had your own solicitor look over it, AT THEIR EXPENSE?
          Yes- and insist on an unconditional written undertaking from their solicitor in favour of your solicitor.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I wasn't sure if I was being overly cautious or mean. I'll contact their solicitor tomorrow.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tracing Freeholder
              by cjramona
              Hi, I am new to the forum and sorry for jumping in but cannot find an answer that helps through the search function. I accepted an offer on my leasehold flat 2 months ago and I thought was close to exchange but the buyers solicitors are asking for my freeholder details. I renewed the lease in 2010...
              22-09-2020, 13:06 PM
            • Reply to Tracing Freeholder
              by cjramona
              sadly not no. She’s freeholder in name only really. We insure and maintain the property ourselves. I’ve now tasked a company to try and trace her - she may have passed away I guess as she bought the fteehold in 1986. I renewed the lease in 2010 so it’s fine until 2155!...
              24-09-2020, 08:18 AM
            • Reply to S168
              by sgclacy
              When you make the application under Section 168 (4) the Tribunal will request that you notify any mortgagee who has an interest in the flat to which you are taking action against.

Needless to say the mortgagee will take the matter very seriously indeed and will appoint solicitors to protect...
              24-09-2020, 07:22 AM
            • S168
              by Anna1985
              How crazy would it be to apply to the tribunal as litigant in person to ask them to determine a breach of lease re property disrepair ( the responsibility is on leaseholders, not freeholder) ?

Opinions?
              Thanks...
              25-08-2019, 18:30 PM
            • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
              by charlie8899
              Thanks for all your replies. One last comment, would the fact the plan on my lease clearly excludes the windows as part of my demise be a factor? (see attached). The lease also states that service charge is to cover "the structure and exterior of the Building". Wouldn't windows be considered...
              24-09-2020, 07:00 AM
            • Responsibility of window frames
              by charlie8899
              Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
              23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
            • Reply to S168
              by Anna1985
              I think I would be soon, although the application would be made in joint freeholder names
              23-09-2020, 18:58 PM
            • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
              by Anna1985
              Your windows should be covered by Fensa for 10 years, the window installer is under obligation to get them fixed Once Fensa confirms it is their cost. Oh the miracles that could happen when the installer knows they are responsible for all associated costs good luvk
              23-09-2020, 18:56 PM
            • Reply to RTM Company secretary
              by scot22
              Is he owed money ? Ask him for detailed proof.

Pay him ?
              23-09-2020, 17:40 PM
            • RTM Company secretary
              by Andrew Clark
              We wish to change the RTM Company Secretary from our legacy managing agent to our new managing agent, the legacy agent will not complete the online authentication code until he is paid what he says he is owed. Thoughts on ways around this
              23-09-2020, 08:02 AM
            Working...
            X