Ground rent/absentee landlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground rent/absentee landlord

I have jointly owned a freehold of 2 flats since 1988. I co-owned one of the flats at the time and we purchased the freehold along with the leasehold. The second owner left to live abroad abandoning the flat and freehold ownership in the mid 1990's when the flat was worth less than we paid for it and I have no idea of her current whereabouts. The flat was repossessed by the building society in 1996.
    I am currently endeavouring to collect outstanding ground rents.
    For the past 4 years I sent letters to the leaseholders requesting payment of ground rents (50 per flat per year), with no response. Last year I obtained details on-line of the names of the leaseholders and sent recorded delivery section 166 notices demanding rent back to the date of their ownership in 2001 (I now realise that there is a statute of limitations of 6 years). Again no response. I sent a reminder with no response and then wrote to their lending institutions and got an immediate response.

They both claim never to have received any notices (one owner has lived elsewhere for the past 5 years) and that any non-payment is entirely my fault. The land registry does not include my current address and I am in the process of rectifying it.

They state that they will pay some ground rent, 6 years, but only from the date that they finally received their notices in Feb 2011, as they state that the original notices were not served correctly, presumably because they include more than 6 years rent. (Strangely, these notices seemed to arrive just fine despite not being sent recorded delivery, once they knew they were on their way). They insist that the land registry is updated before any monies are paid.

Should I fight this (going back to august last year when the S166 notices were sent would provide an additional 50 pounds per flat). Or should I just take the money and put it down to experience?

Secondly, how can I deal with the fact that there is an absentee second freeholder if they exercise their rights to buy the freehold?
    thanks

You are not 'the freeholder', merely one of the two joint freeholders.
    Is there not (dating from f/r purchase in 1988) a Deed between you + other freeholder? This might be labelled:
    a. Trust Deed; or
    b. Participation Agreement; or
    c. Management Agreement.

Also look at another LZ thread on a similar problem: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ature-from-TR1.
    It offers advice re s.14 of 1996 Act which you could use.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by eiranne View Post

Secondly, how can I deal with the fact that there is an absentee second freeholder if they exercise their rights to buy the freehold?
      thanks
      With two flats and if as it appears you still owning one, there is no right to exercise.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
        With two flats and if as it appears you still owning one, there is no right to exercise.
        I agree; but there will certainly be a problem if the other flat's lessee seeks merely to extend the lease.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          I agree; but there will certainly be a problem if the other flat's lessee seeks merely to extend the lease.
          Indeed yes. Or the awol LL turns up on the door step " any chance of my 50 % of the rent".

A task for an enquiry agent if they are believed to be in the UK.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

As I said, my flat was repossessed by the building society in 1996, since then I have owned neither flat.

Comment

The other freeholder left the UK in 1991 for the U.S. and I have not been in contact with her since.

Comment

As I said, my flat was repossessed by the building society in 1996, since then I have owned neither flat.
                So the best solution is for you to encourage both flats' leaseholders to enfranchise the whole.
                There is an 'unknown owner' procedure. If they adopt it:
                a. their purchase price is paid into Court;
                b. you plus a Judge (in lieu of the other f/r owner) execute a Transfer;
                c, they get legal title to the f/r; and
                d. you get 50% of the net sale price and then walk away.

Comment

The other freeholder left the UK in 1991 for the U.S. and I have not been in contact with her since.
                  Well the USA has a rather better system of tracing via credit checks and their enquiry agents, though an evening on the internet via the various people check sites in the US might help. Unless their name is John Smith of course!

Comment

John Doe, there!

Comment

John Doe, there!
                      The DOE is claimed to stand for Dead on entry but as a solicitor you may interested to know that it is an Americanisation of the old British ficticious plantiff John Roe.

Comment

Read that as 'Richard Roe'.

Comment

Read that as 'Richard Roe'.
                          It was actually both

Comment

Yes- John Doe and Richard Roe (= not 'John Roe' suggested in post #11).
                            OTHER LZ MEMBERS (unless asleep by now): see the background to all this, at
                            http://uk.ask.com/web?q=john+doe+ric...=196&o=0&l=dir
                            The most accurate and succinct of the sources cited there appears to be
                            http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...ssages/31.html

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tracing Freeholder
                              by cjramona
                              sadly not no. She’s freeholder in name only really. We insure and maintain the property ourselves. I’ve now tasked a company to try and trace her - she may have passed away I guess as she bought the fteehold in 1986. I renewed the lease in 2010 so it’s fine until 2155!...
                              24-09-2020, 08:18 AM
                            • Tracing Freeholder
                              by cjramona
                              Hi, I am new to the forum and sorry for jumping in but cannot find an answer that helps through the search function. I accepted an offer on my leasehold flat 2 months ago and I thought was close to exchange but the buyers solicitors are asking for my freeholder details. I renewed the lease in 2010...
                              22-09-2020, 13:06 PM
                            • Reply to S168
                              by sgclacy
                              When you make the application under Section 168 (4) the Tribunal will request that you notify any mortgagee who has an interest in the flat to which you are taking action against.

Needless to say the mortgagee will take the matter very seriously indeed and will appoint solicitors to protect...
                              24-09-2020, 07:22 AM
                            • S168
                              by Anna1985
                              How crazy would it be to apply to the tribunal as litigant in person to ask them to determine a breach of lease re property disrepair ( the responsibility is on leaseholders, not freeholder) ?

Opinions?
                              Thanks...
                              25-08-2019, 18:30 PM
                            • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
                              by charlie8899
                              Thanks for all your replies. One last comment, would the fact the plan on my lease clearly excludes the windows as part of my demise be a factor? (see attached). The lease also states that service charge is to cover "the structure and exterior of the Building". Wouldn't windows be considered...
                              24-09-2020, 07:00 AM
                            • Responsibility of window frames
                              by charlie8899
                              Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
                              23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
                            • Reply to S168
                              by Anna1985
                              I think I would be soon, although the application would be made in joint freeholder names
                              23-09-2020, 18:58 PM
                            • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
                              by Anna1985
                              Your windows should be covered by Fensa for 10 years, the window installer is under obligation to get them fixed Once Fensa confirms it is their cost. Oh the miracles that could happen when the installer knows they are responsible for all associated costs good luvk
                              23-09-2020, 18:56 PM
                            • RTM Company secretary
                              by Andrew Clark
                              We wish to change the RTM Company Secretary from our legacy managing agent to our new managing agent, the legacy agent will not complete the online authentication code until he is paid what he says he is owed. Thoughts on ways around this
                              23-09-2020, 08:02 AM
                            • Reply to RTM Company secretary
                              by scot22
                              Is he owed money ? Ask him for detailed proof.

Pay him ?
                              23-09-2020, 17:40 PM
                            Working...
                            X