Flat with leaking roof, and now mould problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there anyone that can advise please?

Comment

Originally posted by xoAmyox View Post
      I have returned home from work today to find that my ceiling is soaked once more, and water is running down the wall. So clearly the 'fix' that the builder/roofer implemented has failed.
      I have entered yet another formal complaint to the HA.

Can anyone advise of an approximate cost to myself in order to obtain an independent survey of the issue?

Also, I feel at this stage is it reasonable to request a modest amount of compensation from the HA for the sheer amount of time that I have had to spend chasing up their incompetence. Not to mention the cost of my phone bill when I have to ring them as much as 15 times a week, and the time off work every time they send another person round to 'take a look'. Am I within my rights to do this, and is it a reasonable request?
      Sorry I thought that I had.

The cost depends on where you are, try RICS.org for a local chartered building surveyor who deals with ADR see earlier post. A qualified builder such as Chartered Instutute Of Building member can also report, and may be cheaper. If it is soaked then given the weather then it is more than like water ingress.

If your flat is not owned by the local authority as posted ealier make a complaint to them re disrepair, that will cost you nothing except phones bills, and they serve a statutory notice on the landlord to repair.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

I get that speaking to the council and possibly getting a notice served is free, but I've been through all that at my last property (and the disrepair was so bad there, it was making me physically and mentally ill).
        They served 3 notices, still nothing ever got done, and they didn't chase it at all. So unfortunately I don't have very much faith in them.

I've asked the HA to escalate my previous complaint(s), and I'm due to hear back from a senior manager tomorrow. But even though the HA appear to act, they still seem unable to employ competent workmen.
        What with this and recent issues with the block being vandalised the day after a bodge lock repair was done, and therefore bikes being stolen, oh, and 6 hours of no electricity today which meant with key fob activated doors no one could get in!, I'm wondering if they could even organise a p*** up in a brewery!

Comment

Originally posted by xoAmyox View Post
          I get that speaking to the council and possibly getting a notice served is free, but I've been through all that at my last property (and the disrepair was so bad there, it was making me physically and mentally ill).
          They served 3 notices, still nothing ever got done, and they didn't chase it at all. So unfortunately I don't have very much faith in them.

I've asked the HA to escalate my previous complaint(s), and I'm due to hear back from a senior manager tomorrow. But even though the HA appear to act, they still seem unable to employ competent workmen.
          What with this and recent issues with the block being vandalised the day after a bodge lock repair was done, and therefore bikes being stolen, oh, and 6 hours of no electricity today which meant with key fob activated doors no one could get in!, I'm wondering if they could even organise a p*** up in a brewery!
          If notices are served and not acted on then you use the formal compaints procedure of the council or spend the money on a solicitor to threaten to or seek an order for them to undertake their statutory duty you should also take advice on set off.

Sadly pulblic sector landlords in my experience perform poorly on housing management for a variety of reasons, good and bad. It is ingrained in the culture. But then they are proud to get 2 out of 5 stars, which at a basic pass grade is hardly something to shout about, you certainly would not let a doctor advise you if they had those grades, and offer hand painting and accountacy classes. Perhaps you can do them to keep warm and dry?

Of course a mould ridden leaky ceiling and distraught owner is of interest to the local press.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X