4 flats in a block, roof requires repairs, all leaseholders will not pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 flats in a block, roof requires repairs, all leaseholders will not pay

Can I ask for some advice for a friend of mine please with the above problem?

He owns a top floor flat in a block of four. His flat runs front to back on the right hand side of the block, with the right hand side ground floor flat below his and an up and down stairs left hand pair mirroring this configuration.

The flank tiles along the edge of the gable end roof have become insecure and the concrete fillet is missing in some places has fallen to the path below. The loft space is open to rain snow and birds and now has damp problems. It will get worse if it is not made good.

What can he do to force the leaseholders to contribute towards the cost of repairs, in the region of £2k?

pm
    Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

He should read his lease. This ought to show that the freehold reversioner is responsible for the block's structure. If so, a typical lease's service charge scheme would cover it.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

..and if so inform the freeholder of the need for repair.

Andy
      Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Is the problem that the four owners are responsible for management? Perhaps joint freeholders, headlessor company, RTM or RMC, and simply cannot agree?
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you Jeffrey, I shall look into that. I think he has told me that the leaseholder management co went bust, I will find out and come back here in a minute or so.

pm
          Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Aparently in the 1960's the management company went bust. About 3 years ago my friend found that the freehold reverts to the Crown, but can be bought for a nominal sum by anyone interested in so doing. He also found that he could not buy the freehold on his own and needed A N other leaseholder to buy it with him, at least 1 of the other 3. He started the process with another leaseholder and then went to live abroad. In his absence the other persons did not keep the process going and deal with the solicitors and sign paperwork so the process stopped.

What can he, should he do now? His flat is the one most affected by the problems with the roof tiles. The roof does need doing, and there are other repairs needed. Could I buy into the freehold with him, or does it have to be a leaseholder?

pm

Comment

Sorry PM but what status did the Man CO have? Was it the freeholder, a party to the lease manager, or an agent.

It is vital to establish what the lease says in order to answer.

In the immediate future the group can exercise RTM or even one can apply to the LVT to appoint an external independant manager. See lease- advice.org.

if the "Management" went bust and were a party to the lease eg FH Manager and leaseholder, then each falt owner can agree to form a new company, each flat owner taking a share, and agree to vary the lease to replace the original manager with the crown signing the deed of variation as freeholder.

The other option which we have done in this case if for all parties to set out their declining to take part in purchasing the freehold and asking the Crown to accept a sale to you. Although not bound by the Act, they try to follow it, and therefore can choose this route. The wording of the leter to each owner setting out the position ie what they are giving up is important and should be drafted by his solicitor.

As you will pay costs plus £1 a convincing arguement is that your new company will have 4 shares, and simply put set up to allow the otherwise sot join or subsequent flat owner have the opportunity to do so.
              Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thank you for your input leaseholdanswers. I will try to find out more specific detail on monday, and get a copy of, or at least a look at the lease.

pm

Comment

Originally posted by property mongrel View Post
                  Aparently in the 1960's the management company went bust. About 3 years ago my friend found that the freehold reverts to the Crown, but can be bought for a nominal sum by anyone interested in so doing. He also found that he could not buy the freehold on his own and needed A N other leaseholder to buy it with him, at least 1 of the other 3. He started the process with another leaseholder and then went to live abroad. In his absence the other persons did not keep the process going and deal with the solicitors and sign paperwork so the process stopped.

What can he, should he do now? His flat is the one most affected by the problems with the roof tiles. The roof does need doing, and there are other repairs needed. Could I buy into the freehold with him, or does it have to be a leaseholder?
                  It sounds like an expert solicitor's services are needed, to unravel this mess and reconstruct title satisfactorily.
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                    It sounds like an expert solicitor's services are needed, to unravel this mess and reconstruct title satisfactorily.
                    Agreed. I hope with some more detail PM's chum can go to such an expert with a rudimentary understanding of the options.

Or, as some members have found, when meeting with an "expert" can explain the options exist and need to be researched for their suitability!

Don't forget about those expert chartered surveyors too....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Grounds rents to be reduced to zero? That'll do nicely
                      MrSoffit
                      Government due to announce major overhaul of leasehold tomorrow. Read here...

http://www.leaseholdknowledge.com/go...rents-low-zero

At last.

Edit: Article now in Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...w-build-houses...
                      24-07-2017, 22:42 PM
                    • Reply to Grounds rents to be reduced to zero? That'll do nicely
                      PJackson
                      Easy enough. They just make a law that overrides the contract. Many such laws already exist, such as the law about unfair terms.
                      They could rule that terms that cause the ground rent to grow at a high fixed rate are unfair (which they are) and limit them to the equivalent of say 3% per year. So...
                      27-07-2017, 10:58 AM
                    • Leakage dispute
                      ozdemirozgur
                      Hi,

I have an issue with the other freeholder (we are 3 freeholders of a converted house into 3 flats) about a leak. There is intermittent leaks to downstairs kitchen from my bathroom. both mine one and downstairs flat are rented properties. A few weeks back husband of the downstairs flat...
                      26-07-2017, 14:51 PM
                    • Reply to Leakage dispute
                      MrShed
                      I would get someone independent though rather than him, theres too much of a conflict there. Apart from anything else (and I say this without seeing the specifics) £500 for the work you describe is astronomical IMHO.
                      27-07-2017, 07:45 AM
                      AndrewDod
                      ... and arguably if there is water flooding into his flat from yours he does have every right to switch the water off, since he will assume that that you are going to have an emergency plumber in there the next day -- and that this plumber will strip your bathroom fittings out until the cause is found....
                      26-07-2017, 23:12 PM
                      AndrewDod
                      Intermittent leaks...... Sounds as if you are being bloody negligent, and then have the gall to be getting angry. GET IT SORTED NOW. Get a good plumber and pay as much as you need to pay, whether it is £200 or £5000 -- If and only if you discover it is coming from a common pipe, then it is a common...
                      26-07-2017, 23:02 PM
                    • FTT refuses permission to appeal but leaseholder still won't pay service charge
                      Farrella
                      First Tier Tribunal refuses permission to appeal their decision for the correct ("reasonable") service charge payable by leaseholder. But leaseholder still refuses to pay service charge and wants to go to court (or Upper Tribunal). Is the FTT useless at enforcing service charge payment?...
                      26-07-2017, 16:11 PM
                    • Reply to FTT refuses permission to appeal but leaseholder still won't pay service charge
                      Farrella
                      Yes I am the landlord, and the leaseholder was the one who took us to FTT after I served notice on non-payment of service charge. Unfortunately for him, the tribunal ruled that most charges were reasonable. Then he appealed and the tribunal refused him permission to appeal.

Now he says...
                      26-07-2017, 18:04 PM
                    • Reply to FTT refuses permission to appeal but leaseholder still won't pay service charge
                      MrSoffit
                      Hi, presume you as landlord took defaulter to FTT and won? And defaulter was denied right of appeal?

Don't understand how defaulter still wants to go to UT? Is he/she asking the UT to allow an appeal over the FTT? Do you know the point of law?

Regroup:

Are you...
                      26-07-2017, 17:09 PM
                      nukecad
                      From experience with benefit appeals.

The FTT can refuse permission to pass on your appeal to the Upper Tier, but that does not stop you appealing to the UTT yourself.
                      (Yes it seems strange).

You can only appeal to the UTT on an 'error of law' and not on an 'error of...
                      26-07-2017, 17:06 PM
                    Working...
                    X