Is extending the lease worth the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is extending the lease worth the money?

Can anyone advise please? I have had an offer accepted on a flat which I intend to buy and rent out. I intend to keep the property for at least 10 years. The other flats in the block seem to be owner/occupier and I have been advised that the lease is 79 years. I contacted the managing agents to see about extending the lease and they have quoted me £7,000.00 and advised that I need to request the current owner to do this through his solicitor.

I am new to this so am a bit confused as to a/ whether spending £7,000 is worth doing and b/what to do next.

If I don't intend to sell the property any time soon I guess the length of the lease is immaterial? I also understand (I think) that once I have owned it for 2 years i can extend the lease myself? Would it still cost me the same money or can I just do this?

How can I find out whether the flat would be worth £7,000 more if the lease were extended from 79 -99 years? I rang the estate agent who seemed to think most of the flats in this area have 75-80 year leases because they are mainly Victorian houses which were converted in the 1980s.

I don't want to start spending money and don't really understand the whole thing. I tried looking at www.lease-advice.org but couldn't make head or tail of it and I need some advice using laymans terms if possible
    cheers

Under the law, any leaseholder ( of 2 or more years) can extend the existing lease by an additional 90 years at a peppercorn ground rent. For properties with below 80 years remaining on the lease , the cost of lease extension includes a sum for giving up the existing ground rent payments up to expiry date ( over 79 years) plus half the difference in value of your flat now at 79 years and the new value after extended lease to 169 years ( half the gain in value known as the marriage value ).

If you buy now and left the extension of lease for 2 years later , then you may be required to pay more in marriage value as the method of calculating cost remains the same.

Why don't you ask the existing seller ( assuming he/she has had the flat for over 2 years ) to include the "lease extension" in the sale price?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Building works & S20 process
      by RichA
      Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
      21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
    • Reply to Building works & S20 process
      by scot22
      It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
      21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
    • collective enfranchisement
      by flyingfreehold
      Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
      21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
    • Reply to collective enfranchisement
      by Tipper
      Ask lease-advice.org
      21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
    • Reply to Levy
      by scot22
      Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
      21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
    • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
      by Macromia
      They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
      21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
    • Changes to lease wording
      by bigalxyz
      In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
      14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
    • Reply to Changes to lease wording
      by Lawcruncher
      If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
      21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
    • Reply to Levy
      by Macromia
      ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
      21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
    • Reply to Changes to lease wording
      by Lawcruncher
      The solicitor has said: "Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make to the leases once you have acquired the freehold? Any important amendments should be detailed in the PA so that the parties know they are bound to comply later on. Please do let me know your thoughts." That is...
      21-05-2022, 16:49 PM
    Working...
    X