56 year lease to be extended - how to ensure a fair price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

56 year lease to be extended - how to ensure a fair price?

Dear all,

I wondered if you could help me help a close colleague. My knowledge of this area is very lacking...

Property Details:
    She has a property which is a 2 bedroom self contained ground floor flat in North London N11. It is converted (it's the ground floor of a 2 storey terraced house) and the freehold is owned by a chap, who has a few properties in the area, although the neighbouring houses to the discussed flat are unrelated. The flat is valued at approximately £200k. The lease has 56 years left to run.

She used some online calculator that said to extend the lease would cost around £20k

1) She won't be selling for 10 years of more. Is it a clear fact that for cost efficiencies she should extend the lease now and not wait and sell the property later with the short lease?

2) Are there any tips in acheiving the best extension price? Or at-least to not be overcharged. I have no idea how to ensure this or indeed if there is a rule of thumb guide available?

2) Should she simply go for 125 years - is this the lowest cost approach in terms of extending the lease while not affecting her potential sale price say 10 years along the line.

3) Would anybody be willing to list a very basic step by step process of how to progress this process. I guess someone experied with lease entensions who may intrinsically identify if the price is too high and thus add more value?

Very much appreciate your kind assistance...

Regards

1. Whatever the 'true' value/price now, it will rise inexorably as the unexpired term declines: so do it sooner rather than later!
    2I. Serve a s.42 Notice [1993 Act] on L. Some LZ members advise trying to negotiate beforehand.
    2II. Why '125 yrs.'? The s.42 procedure entitles T to add 90yrs. to the unexpired term and to reduce the ground rent to a peppercorn [= non-money rent].
    3. See 2I.

The best way forwards, however, is for this T to approach T of other flat. He/she will presumably have the same problem.
    If they jointly buy the freehold reversion [s.13 Notice, rather than s.42], they:
    a. save £££ on paying L's legal fees twice;
    b. reduce their own fees, as each of the two can use the same solicitor; and
    c. can thereafter re-grant the leases for 999yrs., far in excess of the statutory 90yr. period.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Is the flats value of £200k with a very long lease or with its 56 years lease.

I assume the ground rent will be a very nominal sum..is this correct

Comment

Thank you very much for responding Jeffrey, very helpful.

In regards to the latter questions, the flat is valued at approx £220k (with a fair lease term) and I think she crudely reduced it by £20k as per the lease extension cost calculator and came up with £200k.

Not sure if this helps and if 20k woudl be a fair assumption

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
          by flyingfreehold
          Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
          21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
        • Reply to collective enfranchisement
          by flyingfreehold
          at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
          21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
        • Building works & S20 process
          by RichA
          Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
          21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
        • Reply to Building works & S20 process
          by scot22
          It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
          21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
        • Reply to collective enfranchisement
          by Tipper
          Ask lease-advice.org
          21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
        • Reply to Levy
          by scot22
          Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
          21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
        • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
          by Macromia
          They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
          21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
        • Changes to lease wording
          by bigalxyz
          In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
          14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
        • Reply to Changes to lease wording
          by Lawcruncher
          If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
          21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
        • Reply to Levy
          by Macromia
          ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
          21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
        Working...
        X