Legal Requirements for communal arears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal Requirements for communal arears

Hi does anyone know if it is a legal requirement for smoke detectors and emergency lighting in the communal hallway and stairs area of leasehold flats.

If it is a requirement, do the smoke detectors have to be hardwired in?

many thanks

Originally posted by MPA View Post
    Hi does anyone know if it is a legal requirement for smoke detectors and emergency lighting in the communal hallway and stairs area of leasehold flats.

If it is a requirement, do the smoke detectors have to be hardwired in?

many thanks
    In many cases yes. It depends on the construction size and design and use risks. In a small new block with clear escape routes, battery systems regularly checked might be adequate, but a hardwired system will show as a fault immediately, and does not rely on cheap"value" battteries. The preference is to have heat detectors as they are not subject to the burnt toast false alarm.

How do you solve it?

Any person in control a landlord, residents management company, right to manage company, has a legal obligation to carry out
    A health and safety, workplace, risk assessment of the common areas
    a fire risk assessment

This will make specific comments on actual requirements and recommended actions.

Find a local surveyor/consultant that do these but do not use a firm that is also a contractor installing fire alarms etc. You cannot tell if they are giving unbiased advice or a sales pitch.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

many thanks.
      I do have another question which is how long could a freeholder backdate service charges he had never collected or requested.

Comment

18 months assuming you've never had a valid invoice or formal notice that you'd be required to pay sometime in the future.
        I am not a solicitor, I am a lessee/shareholder in conflict with the management. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!

Comment

I understand "In these cases a statutory time limit applies: the landlord must issue the demand within 18 months of his incurring the cost. If the demand is provided later than this, the landlord cannot recover the costs at all, unless a notice is served during the 18 months stating that costs have been incurred and that the tenant will be required to contribute to them by payment of a service charge." (Leasehold Advisory Service 5/11/10)

Also as far as fire alarm is concern if you contact your local council building enforcement officer s/he would carry out an assessment for free, however your landlord may get slaped with an improvement notice under the Housing Act 2004, therefore only use this if you want fire alarm and can afford cost because council will force landlord.

Kaz

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
            by flyingfreehold
            Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
            21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
          • Reply to collective enfranchisement
            by flyingfreehold
            at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
            21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
          • Building works & S20 process
            by RichA
            Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
            21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
          • Reply to Building works & S20 process
            by scot22
            It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
            21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
          • Reply to collective enfranchisement
            by Tipper
            Ask lease-advice.org
            21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
          • Reply to Levy
            by scot22
            Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
            21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
          • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by Macromia
            They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
            21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
          • Reply to Changes to lease wording
            by Lawcruncher
            If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
            21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
          • Changes to lease wording
            by bigalxyz
            In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

ÔÇťAre there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
            14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
          • Reply to Levy
            by Macromia
            ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
            21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
          Working...
          X