Freeholder permission to keep pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder permission to keep pets

I have been asked by a leaseholder for written permission to keep cats in a top floor flat. Quite frankly it doesn't bother me at all. But
    • is there anything I need to be wary of when giving permission, e.g. liability to other leaseholders for having given permission, etc..
    • should I just say 'go for it' or is there any legal reason that I should add any caveats
    ?

Thanks.
    Assume I know nothing.

Pet permissions

We had a similar situation in our (self-managed) block of flats. The difficulties were qualifying what you give permission for and how many pets.

For instance, if you give permission for 'cats' does that mean they can keep (say) ten? Perhaps you should qualify it by limiting the number

Next, there is a vast difference between a Great Dane and a miniature poodle.

Finally our leases have noise nuisance clauses in them, so any permission given could be rescinded if the animal noise got out of hand.

As managers we didn't feel that we could permit a small but yappy poodle (for one flat) but refuse & three quite Great Dane (for another flat)

In the end we took a democratic vote on an ALL or NOTHING basis. Either anyone could keep any number of pets or nobody could.

The NO PETS vote won

Hope this helps

Comment

Votes cannot overide the terms of the lease, what is the exact wording of the lease.

http://www.27bslash6.com/strata.html for an amusing take on this.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brixtonia View Post
        I have been asked by a leaseholder for written permission to keep cats in a top floor flat. Quite frankly it doesn't bother me at all. But
        • is there anything I need to be wary of when giving permission, e.g. liability to other leaseholders for having given permission, etc..
        • should I just say 'go for it' or is there any legal reason that I should add any caveats
        ?

Thanks.
        Depending on the wording of the lease, I would add a caveat 'subject to no complaints from other leaseholders'... Then you have a way out when another lessee complains :-)
        I am not a solicitor, I am a lessee/shareholder in conflict with the management. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!

Comment

If a lease allows regulations to be issued, then the type of pets number and behaviours can be set out to form the basis of any consents
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks all.
            Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X