Fire Safety Regs For Blocks Of Flats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Safety Regs For Blocks Of Flats

I've just bought a purpose built block of 21 flats spread across 3 storeys.

It was built in the mid 60's and contains no fire doors, emergency lighting, smoke alarms, fire alarm or fire escapes. There are 4 exits on the ground floor but none on upper floors and no means of escape except out the windows or up through a hatch onto a flat roof, which I am sure would only delay your problems if there was indeed a fire.

I'm well aware i've got my work cut out for me and the purchase price did reflect various items of work needed!

My question is where do I go to find out the fire safety regs which apply to this building? I'm keen to start work on safety matters immediately but was not sure whether to approach the council, the fire dept, or some other body....

I want to make it safe, and legal, but have minimum involvement of any 'jobsworth' inspector, many of which I have come across in the past :-(

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fire requirements

You have two things to do here. Firstly you must satisfy the local authority requirements by asking them what you require. That's the building department. This is changing this year, so they may refer you to a fire officer, who will carry out a risk assessment for you, and advise you what is required. Then you get estimates for the work from contractors. This is going to be a pain, but the local authority are the ones who enforce these rules, so let THEM tell you what they require. This may be a full alarm system and Emergency lighting through corridors and communial areas, or just linked smoke alarms.

Secondly, you have to satisfy the common sense factor. These are the obvious things that a risk assessment may take for granted and be overlooked.

Hope this helps
    Regards

Elektratek Ltd.

For information only. No responsability is taken for any actions performed by use of this posted message.

Comment

Sorry, I'm a bit behind responding on thread.

The Fire Officer will most definitely NOT do a risk assessment for you!
      New fire regulations come into force on the 1st October 2006 which make the landlord (almost certainly in your case) the 'responsible person'. You must do the risk assessment, or pay someone else to do it and ensure the fire safety of your tenants 'as far as is practicable'.
      The block also seems to come under the definition of a licensable HMO under the Housing Act 2004 so the local housing officer will want to look at the premises as well.
      From what you say, fire doors (at £400 a set) an alarm, (a few thousand) and emergency lighting (another thousand) could be required. You will also, because of the age of the premises need to look closely at the fire resistance of floors and ceilings between the flats.

Sorry to spoil your Sunday.

Comment

Fire doors should be fitted and certified as part of a door and frame set! That should bump up the labour costs.

Comment

If the purpose built block consists entirely of self contained units it wont be licensable under mandatory HMO licensing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• How to report a summary offence
            camera
            Hello,

How do we report a summary offence?

E.g. if we are not given a copy of our insurance policy after a proper demand and elapsed duration...

E.g. if our landlord has locked the gas meter and prevented our access in an emergency..

I'm referring...
            23-07-2017, 19:57 PM
          • Reply to How to report a summary offence
            MrSoffit
            Yes, and if the LA won't act, forget civil injunction. I landed on a 1999 magistrate decision (sadly lost the link) which fined a landlord for failing to provide s21 info to a leaseholder- maybe be other cases- but the Court of Appeal went and spoiled the party in MORSHEAD MANSIONS LTD and MR DI MARCO...
            24-07-2017, 15:34 PM
            Wright76
            Im not going to get into a debate about leaseholders. I have apologised as I had no idea that I ended up in that forum. It was an innocent mistake and I still have no idea how I did it!.

I will of course check before I reply in future...
            24-07-2017, 15:28 PM
            MrSoffit
            To be fair, responding on a long leasehold forum to an OP enquiry that as a landlord you would not provide insurance details (a criminal offence in respect of leaseholder rights) needs to be called out as Andydd said. People lurk.

Yes, long leaseholders are 'tenants' and not owners (fee...
            24-07-2017, 15:24 PM
            Wright76
            Then I apologise as iv obviously got lost in the navigation of the new site...
            24-07-2017, 15:17 PM
            andydd
            For future info it's Long Leasehold forum. Issues here will be regarding leases and services charges etc, issues with tenants, short term let's and ast etc are dealt with in another section....
            24-07-2017, 12:53 PM
            andydd
            I would of thought if no info is provided you could arrange your own (cheaper) insurance on the basis that you couldn't be sure if the building was insured, this isn't easy though, you could also refuse to pay the insurance element But this is also fraught with pitfalls as it's not a legitimate reason...
            24-07-2017, 12:49 PM
            leaseholder64
            The prosecuting authority for failing to provide insurance information is the local housing authority, however I've never heard of any such prosecution: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70/section/34

You could take it up with the appropriate local councillor.
            24-07-2017, 12:18 PM
          • How can I confirm if garages have been sold that once came with a flat?
            pernes
            Hi, I am trying to check what flats have sold their garages, to either other flats in the block who either didn't have one before or have purchased a second one or if someone outside the block now owns any.

The block has three more flats than garages. Is there a way I can check this out?...
            22-07-2017, 21:07 PM
          • Reply to How can I confirm if garages have been sold that once came with a flat?
            leaseholder64
            The valid basis for VAT would be that the garages were being let as commercial property. Most leaseholder law is about residential property. Commercial landlords have an option to opt into VAT.

Share of the freehold is not legally defined, but in practice it means you, as a leaseholder,...
            24-07-2017, 11:44 AM
          Working...
          X