Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extend the lease in a conversion flat

Hi,
    Am about to buy a flat with a 72 years lease. This is a conversion flat. I seems I can ask for a lease extension after 2 years but don't know if the other owner (1st floor) needs to ask for it as a common request. what's happened if the owner of the other flat is ok with the actual lease and doesn't want to ask for an extension ? The estate agency told me it's managed separetly... Is that right? I mean can I have a extension to a 99y leasehold and the other flat stays with the 70 years remaining in the same house (1 freeholder)? or do we both need to agree and ask for it?
    Thanks for your help,
    Remy

I recommend that you visit the Leasehold Advisory Service website.

Don’t worry about any other lessees. What they choose to do or not do with their lease is their business alone and has no effect on your lease.

May I ask why the vendor isn’t extending the lease in anticipation of your purchase? I mean obviously 72 years unexpired is still desirable because you’re buying it. Just wondering that’s all.

Comment

Tks for that Poppy, will have a look at the website. So.. as far as i understand I can ask to extend the lease without taking care of the other lessees whatever it is a share of leasehold...?
      Regarding the vendor, I don't know why they don't extend the lease as the estate agency is really crap so not really helpful.
      But, I know she can ask for a lease extension and then if am buying the property ask for the transfer of the notice, in that way i'll get the extension before the 2 years.

Comment

Other lessees are simply not your concern in this matter.

If you like the idea of the vendor organising the lease extension, you should contact them now before the sale completes. Try offering to pay a good proportion towards the cost.

Alternatively, have you directly asked the freeholder whether they intend to stick to the law and wait two years after your purchase before effecting an extension? You never know, they may waive the qualifying period.

Comment

Just called the agency and asked them to contact the vendor to see if she will agree to take the extension in the sale price.
          Btw haven’t ask for the freeholder, will do it now. But as I said, I read that the actual owner can ask for the extension and if am buying the flat, ask for the transfer of the notice> it should work aswell.

Tks for all the advices anyway. It’s really helpful.

Comment

Under the L&T Act , any leaseholder after 2 years, can apply for an extension of 90 years at peppercorn ground rent to an existing lease . The information is available in a brochure called "Long Leaseholders" from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister. You should ask the seller to apply for an extension before you complete the purchase.

What is the annual ground rent on the flat and who is the freeholder ? Seems odd that the other flat is mananged separately ? You should get the lease, read thru it and find out who collects the service charge and building insurance premium ( and see a copy of the summary of insured cover for current year ).

Comment

ok tks for this. flat is sold anyway but will have alook for the other.
              tks for your reply

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sole Director
                by Stacker
                Hope you are all healthy and safe!....our AOA state that a quorum is required. The sole director has appointed another director, without one shareholder knowing about the meeting my question is would the meeting have been quorate and could the company secretary act ( one they hire not a member) be part...
                29-03-2020, 10:41 AM
              • Reply to Sole Director
                by Stacker
                Thanks for that however I have just been trawling thro google and found that is not the case if the AOA states quorum required and mentions directors as in plural the sole director can not act for the company or the board as they are a sole director, so meeting needs to be quorate by bringing in a member...
                29-03-2020, 20:28 PM
              • Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
                by eshroom
                My mum has had her flat let out for some time, it is currently unoccupied and given COVID shall remain so for a few months.

The service charge was £20 per month more for her as it was rented. She wasn't happy but went along with it. She asked to have it dropped now that it is not rented...
                27-03-2020, 10:42 AM
              • Reply to Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
                by leaseholder64
                Leases often have clauses about not causing additional expenditure, particularly for insurance, so it might be possible to charge as administration charges, as well.
                29-03-2020, 11:23 AM
              • Reply to Sole Director
                by leaseholder64
                Most AoA allow a sole director to appoint other directors, even though otherwise inquorate. Generally the only other thing they can do is call a general meeting.

The company secretary does not count towards the quorum.

Many RMCs operate without a quorum, even though the director...
                29-03-2020, 11:16 AM
              • Rent Act restricting ground rent
                by Section20z
                One of my ground rent leases has a mechanism for the rent to rise on any assignment "......provided that such rent shall never exceed the amount which would bring this lease within the provisions of the Rent Act 1968 or any Act amending or re-enacting the same"
                The rent should be £650pa...
                27-03-2020, 09:44 AM
              • Reply to Rent Act restricting ground rent
                by Section20z
                Thanks , that makes complete sense and clears up why they would not want a long lease to be covered by the Rent Act.

Of course the buyer was aware of the new rent and should have adjusted premium accordingly. The novel feature here is that the ground rent increases with any "difference"...
                29-03-2020, 08:31 AM
                by sgclacy
                The Rent Acts referred to in the old lease precluded a premium being charged for the assignment of a lease and of course that is why there was a restriction in the old lease.

However the current issue with ground rents exceeding £250 outside of London is that some, but not all lawyers,...
                29-03-2020, 03:45 AM
              • Reply to Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
                by Macromia
                Unless the lease makes it clear that this "reasonable proportion" only applies to the service charges as a whole, it could be argued that flats with non-resident leaseholders could be charged a higher proportion of the managing agents fees - but only if they can justify this as reasonable,...
                29-03-2020, 03:13 AM
                by Macromia
                So, presumably, the part of the clause that you have not quoted allows the ground rent at each new assignment to be set as a percentage of the sale price?

This seems backwards to me (unless there is a more complicated formula used), because it means that the higher the sale price, the higher...
                29-03-2020, 02:46 AM
              Working...
              X