Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unpaid Service Charges

Hi,

Has anyone out there got involved with a lessee not paying service charges? We have such a case in our block of 28 flats. The flat in question is rented out but the absent lessee does not contribute to the running costs. Obviously, legal action is expensive and would add more cost to the problem.

Appreciate any suggestions please.

Is this the same issue that you raised back in March?

I would also like to know if you are the freeholder.

What is being charged on the service charge?

Comment

Poppy,
      Thanks for responding again. I have now found the original thread and re-read the comments.

I am not the freeholder in this case, but a resident lessee. I have asked the managing agents to inform the freeholder and chase payment. I actually don't know if the freeholder has taken any action on this matter or not. The service charges cover running maintenance and repairs, plus some allowance for the sink fund. The non-resident lessee in question owes about £4000 and receives rent but does not contribute to the running costs.

Comment

Excuse me please, but if you are not the freeholder, nor part of the managing agents, why is this matter your concern? Is the freeholder adding the missing funds to other lessees’ service charge to make up for any shortfall? Are you trying to oust the managing agents? How do you know that this lessee owes money?

Please share with the members why you are involved.

Comment

I am not the freeholder in this case, but a resident lessee.
          As poppy already asked, why should you worry about it. It isn't your problem it is the freeholders.

I have asked the managing agents to inform the freeholder and chase payment.
          What did they say? I assume that they told you it was none of your business and that they take thier instructions from the landlord not the tenants.

I actually don't know if the freeholder has taken any action on this matter or not

Why do you need to know? How the landlord deals with collecting his debts is his business.
          NOTE: Steven Palmer BSc (Hons) MRICS MBEng is an official LandlordZONE Topic Expert and a Director of Davisons Palmer Lim Any advice given by Steven in this Forum is of a general nature only and should not be acted upon without first obtaining advice specific to your problem/situation from a professional.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X