Purchase share of freehold in a shared ownership property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchase share of freehold in a shared ownership property

I live in a building with 3 flats. I own part of my flat on a shared ownership scheme. The other two flats are owned outright. The other flat owners are interested in buying the freehold. How would this affect me, would I be able to take part in this despite only owning part of my flat?

Your S.O. lease would be entirely unaffected by any change in freehold reversioner; it'd just be a new L.
    If you can afford to participate, there's no reason why the others would turn you down; your joining-in would save them money!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• AGM cancelled.
      by Grumio
      Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
      26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
    • Reply to AGM cancelled.
      by Andrea Cunningham
      Call an EGM. Make sure you give proper notice and that it is legal (download a boilerplate notice off the internet). In that EGM you can vote new directors in, or even vote the old directors out.
      26-01-2022, 07:14 AM
    • Reply to What can I do about my right of way.
      by Trevor62

This is the ROW as it is in the land registry.

Can I ask another question?

As you can read it says Boundary determined by edge of pavings. Before the other party moved out they built a fence along the boundary though they build it on my side of the...
      25-01-2022, 20:58 PM
    • What can I do about my right of way.
      by Trevor62
      I live in the upper flat of a maisonette, I have a right of way that goes around the back of the building from the side entrance, there are only two flats in the building.

Anyway for years there has been a gate with a lock to go through the right of way, now for the past year the flat has...
      23-01-2022, 23:01 PM
    • Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
      by Andrea Cunningham
      The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
      04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
    • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
      by Andrea Cunningham
      As I said right at the beginning, there are some very sound reasons to do this which I wasn't going to go into. Suffice it to say that the current situation is one where the building I live in suffers under the tyranny of the majority of the larger building. So what is being sought is genuine control...
      25-01-2022, 20:24 PM
      by Andrea Cunningham
      There is already no ground rent collected - so as I understand it the value of the freehold might be quite low anyway.

If this is all done by negotiation then it is a moot point regardless, and it brings me back to what I was actually asking about, which is how to fairly and equitably split...
      25-01-2022, 20:10 PM
      by Macromia
      That potentially raises an interesting question about what happens to any money that needs to be paid for the enfranchisement.
      At the moment payment is handed over, all those in the block being enfranchised would presumably cease to be members of the company - so wouldn't be entitled to any share...
      25-01-2022, 19:40 PM
      by Macromia
      That may not be your intention, but it definitely seems like you haven't given proper consideration to what enfranchisement would involve.

What do the leases specifically say about what is included within service charge/maintenance costs and how service charge costs are to be split?...
      25-01-2022, 19:25 PM
    • Who owns the windows in a flat above a commercial premises
      by andyg1
      I am the landlord of a 2 bedroom 2nd floor flat above a commercial premises ( car showroom ) . The showroom is run by the Freeholder and they own 8 flats of the 12 in the building . A few years ago without my knowledge they erected scaffolding and replaced the old single glazed metal windows in their...
      25-01-2022, 14:52 PM
    Working...
    X