Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liability for previous leaseholder's service charge/bills

Hi,
    Can somebody advise me on who is responsible to pay the previous UTILITY BILL for a leasehold property?

I purchased a long leasehold flat in 2008 and share the freehold in a block of 10 flats.
    I would like to point out that there is only one water meter to supply water to the block.
    Therefore, we pay the service charge that includes the water rates.
    Now to my surprise, after two years, the management is saying that the previous years (prior to my purchase) the water bills were only estimated, and they will not tell me when was the last time the meter was read before 2008.
    I would like to know if I am responsible to pay the utility bill, for the period before my purchase.

If the service charge includes the water rates, that's not easily alterable. In fact, your flat does not then have a utility bill- the bill covers the block- so your question really means "Am I liable for service charge pre-dating my purchase?" The answer depends on the Contract into which you entered when purchasing and what (if anything) it obliged V to do. Read it and report back to us.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by mohshafie View Post
      I would like to know if I am responsible to pay the utility bill, for the period before my purchase.
      normaly, short answer = no

Solicitors usualy ask the previous flat owners, and freeholder / Managing company / Agent, "are there any upaid bills, and is the maintenence charge payable up to date".

We assume the answer came back "no unpaid bills". Although you may not find these answers in your documentation when you get the keys to your flat / bill from Solicitor.

Before you bought the property, it did not belong to you, so realy, not your concern.

BUT, if there was an underestimate, the under estimate for 2007, would be included in calculations for 2008 maintenence charges - the time you were there, paying a reduced fee in 2008 and 2009 based on pre 2008 estimates.
      If the estimates were wrong, and the word is "estimate", then when the correct price is formulated, then the short fall will have to be met by you and all other owners.

Only the owners have the money to pay maintenence and water charges, no on else. Have you ever tried to get a utility company to read a meter, and they never do, so all you can do is base costs on estimates till the final price comes through.

You can not ignor the actual costs that they now have, and the costs to run the place has to reflect the actual costs, and if there is not enough money in the bank, then yes, you will be asked to pay the shortfall from the previous estimate.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
        by JK0
        Do you have insurance for the contents? Maybe there is loss of rent cover included there.
        18-05-2022, 06:11 AM
      • Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
        by Ldawg
        The flat I rent out has suffered from recurrent leaks from upstairs since I purchased it, 4 leaks in 4 years. It's caused me to lose one tenant already. I feel like there is no incentive for the owner upstairs to sort the problem (check the plumbing etc) as the cost is always covered by insurance and...
        24-01-2022, 19:48 PM
      • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
        by fos333
        This is the important question, what are the reasons for non payment?

Have demands been correctly served including the correct summaries of rights and obligations?

Are the landlord obligations under the lease being carried out?

Have service charge end of year accounts...
        17-05-2022, 21:48 PM
      • RTM director service charge arrears
        by ARG
        Hello, I am new here so please excuse me if this question has already been asked, but a search has drawn a blank.

I am a director of an RTM of a property with 25 flats. I would be very grateful if anyone here can advise whether a resident who is more than six months in arrears with his...
        17-05-2022, 15:38 PM
      • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
        by vmart
        Is there a restrictive covenant in the title of the commercial-property owner (CPO) giving you and the other lessee a right of way over the land?

Is the CPO a freeholder or leaseholder of the land?

With regard to the point related to '20 years' you are referring to adverse...
        17-05-2022, 21:06 PM
      • Neighbour Dispute over Bins
        by Tony-Edwards
        Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
        17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
      • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
        by vmart
        The RTM can make a money claim online but as this enquiry concerns service charges the lessee will have the right to have the service charges determined unless already agreed. Depending upon the lessee's response to the claim, the County Court may refer the claim to the FTT.

What are the...
        17-05-2022, 20:54 PM
      • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
        by Ldawg
        Thanks for your response.

All costs are being covered by the management company. So currently I'm not actually losing out so I'm not really sure what I'm claiming for! More just the stress of it all. And the potential loss of earning and making unrentable/saleable as you say. Yes the floor...
        17-05-2022, 20:22 PM
      • Lease Extension - Relativity
        by comm1985
        Hoping to get some clarification,

If a flat (Outside Greater London) with 60 years left is sold for £110,000 and comparable properties with longer leases attain £160,000

What is the relativity in this case?

Would it be £110000 less 5.5% (to estimate for no act...
        17-05-2022, 15:12 PM
      • Reply to Lease Extension - Relativity
        by comm1985
        I for one would appreciate a more stable approach in deriving the premium...

In this instance what would

1. The sensible premium be?

A)£32000 (based on the value the actual short lease was just sold for i.e Relativity 65%)
        or
        B)£20,000 (based on graph...
        17-05-2022, 20:19 PM
      Working...
      X