Lease Extension-83years to 173 years-worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease Extension-83years to 173 years-worth it?

I have a flat purchased in June 02 (therefore qualify for extending lease) for £73.5k and now valued at £135k.

The original Lease started in 1991 for 99 years (84 years left in 2006).
    Ground rent details £10 for 33yrs, then £20 for 33yrs, then £30 for 33yrs.

Its a lovely apartment and although I have no plans to move at the moment, I am concerned about problems concerning saleability if selling once the lease drops below 80 years. (Is this unfounded?)

From what I have read if I applied for a lease extension now it would be much cheaper than if the lease was less than 80 years (ie no marriage value content), however the current market value would not be enhanced by doing so.

The question: Is it worth extending the lease if say I only kept the flat for the next 4-10 years and where would a breakeven occur?

Would the cost of extending the lease by 90 years (whatever it may be) outweigh the return or should I say drop in asset value as time goes by.

Any views welcome.

Yes, definitely you should extend your lease before it falls below 80 years term or better still, you should join with the other leaseholders in the block to buy the freehold. Based on your 10 pds annual ground rent , you may consider offering 16 times to buy your share of the freehold + legal costs. ( if other leaseholders are willing and they should be as they face the same problem .)

If you allow the lease to fall below 80 years , you may find your future buyer asking you to extend the lease by 90 years because of his difficulty getting a mortgage loan. Mortgage lenders have difficulty judging the market value of the security when the lease falls below 80 years and "marriage value" comes into play. So the mortgage company valuer will tend to give lower market valuations and so you will be asked to accept a lower price.

Also the longer time taken to sort out a lease extension during the sale period , it will cost you more interest in your own mortgage payments.

Comment

I would definitely recommend extending the lease now.

Ramnik
      Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Act restricting ground rent
        by Macromia
        So, presumably, the part of the clause that you have not quoted allows the ground rent at each new assignment to be set as a percentage of the sale price?

This seems backwards to me (unless there is a more complicated formula used), because it means that the higher the sale price, the higher...
        29-03-2020, 02:46 AM
      • Rent Act restricting ground rent
        by Section20z
        One of my ground rent leases has a mechanism for the rent to rise on any assignment "......provided that such rent shall never exceed the amount which would bring this lease within the provisions of the Rent Act 1968 or any Act amending or re-enacting the same"
        The rent should be £650pa...
        27-03-2020, 09:44 AM
      • Reply to Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
        by eshroom
        The lease does indeed say charges should be split according to a "reasonable proportion" decided by managing agent or accountant in case of dispute.

It does allow for a "reasonable fee to compensate time spent" for each sub-lease that has to be sent to the freeholder....
        28-03-2020, 21:59 PM
      • Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
        by eshroom
        My mum has had her flat let out for some time, it is currently unoccupied and given COVID shall remain so for a few months.

The service charge was £20 per month more for her as it was rented. She wasn't happy but went along with it. She asked to have it dropped now that it is not rented...
        27-03-2020, 10:42 AM
      • Reply to Damp issues on basement - 1995 conversion
        by eshroom
        Thanks for the replies.

Part of the damp (rising) has been identified as a faulty DPC. Part has been identified as failed tanking causing penetrative damp (earth on other side of wall). I don't know who put the tanking in, but as the coal store was converted by the freeholder in 1995, I...
        28-03-2020, 21:56 PM
      • Damp issues on basement - 1995 conversion
        by eshroom
        We have failed tanking causing penetrative damp on my mum's small basement flat, converted from coal store.

Freehold company claim tanking is an improvement and they have no record of ever having done the work, hence they say they are not responsible and won't be paying for the work....
        27-03-2020, 10:39 AM
        by Stacker
        Tanking could be argued needs to be put in place to stop the external water coming in from the exterior walls which is partly the freeholder responsibility otherwise flat unfit for habitation act as not watertight....
        28-03-2020, 18:51 PM
        by Stacker
        eshroom,

Who put the tanking in? Normally you are responsible for the internal demise meaning plaster up to the brickwork. Where is damp coming from? Rising an or penetrative damp or both? You could argue that the damp is a structural issue, does your building have an existing DPC? check...
        28-03-2020, 18:48 PM
      • Reply to Pansies before people
        by D P Dance
        In normal times I would agree with you ram, but these are not normal times.
        28-03-2020, 16:19 PM
      • Pansies before people
        by D P Dance
        The managing agents of one of my rental properties, who have been vilified on Trust Pilot, when asked if they are considering relief for landlords whose tenants have defaulted on their rent have refused point blank to consider offer help and have told me I quote

.. you need to accept the...
        24-03-2020, 13:24 PM
      Working...
      X