Anyone acquired loft space off freeholder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone acquired loft space off freeholder?

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone acquired the loft space above there flats off the freeholder if so how much did they pay for it?

I have a one bed flat in South Wales and have had a letter in the past few days off the freeholder asking if I would be interested!

They want the following:-

£7000 to enter into deed of variation
    £75 extra per year ground rent
    £850 + VAT legal fees
    £500 for approval of plans for loft conversion if I converted it into a room

This seems bit much to me so was wondering what other people had paid?

I have done an advanced search and found loads of information but not much on how much people have paid for loft space.

Many Thanks
    Mathew.

It sounds like your Freeholder is desperate to raise some funds. If the loft space is only accessible via your dwelling then it’s of no interest to any other parties. If it was me in your position, I would make them wait awhile then reply with a substantially lower counter offer.
    Because the Freeholder has approached you, you’re in a good position to negotiate.

Best wait for more knowledgeable members who will offer you the best advice.

Comment

Originally posted by matt_turbo_2000 View Post
      Hi Everyone,

Has anyone acquired the loft space above there flats off the freeholder if so how much did they pay for it?

I have a one bed flat in South Wales and have had a letter in the past few days off the freeholder asking if I would be interested!

They want the following:-

£7000 to enter into deed of variation
      £75 extra per year ground rent
      £850 + VAT legal fees
      £500 for approval of plans for loft conversion if I converted it into a room

This seems bit much to me so was wondering what other people had paid?

I have done an advanced search and found loads of information but not much on how much people have paid for loft space.

Many Thanks
      Mathew.
      Does your lease include the loft area? Please check the wording.

If it does, then you do not need to acquire it. However, you will/may need the freeholder's consent to convert, which is different and which affects the premium you may wish to pay.
      Kikuyu

Comment

This thread is a bit unusual. There are many others about loft space, but it's usually the lessee who seeks to acquire/use it (not the lessor who wants to demise it to a quiescent lessee). Kikuyu is right, but also see L's freehold title re what rights (easements) other lessees may have for the loft.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I think you are right it does sound like the freeholder does want to raise some quick cash! Personally I cant see many people taking them up on there offer! The loft space isnt massive plus the cost to convert it I may as well just sell up and buy a 2 bed apartment!

I have a copy of the lease I will go over it and see if it includes the loft space!

Only I have access to the loft it is sectioned off around my apartment by brick walls so would be of no use to anyone else!

Comment

It could be the freeholder is being very clever...

Are there similar dwellings near you under the same freehold?

If you reply and accept, then he has generated money out of nothing, but if you respond and say no thanks, then you have acknowledged his ownership, and I guess that may affect any adverse possession you may be accumulating. It could be some neighbours have already adversely taken over, and the freeholder is trying to stem the losses.
            Could the attic be sold to a neighbouring flat owner?

I may be totally wrong legally, but it's how I'd play the game if possible

Comment

We need a follow-up to post #5; if the loft is not demised, I doubt that T can claim adverse possession against own lessor L.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Ground rent rpi base
                landforce
                Hi.

Hopefully an easy question but does anyone know if when the ground rent is rpi linked is it from when the leasehold was set up or when you purchased the property. I.e if leasehold was set up in dec 12 but the property was purchased in Sept 13 is the base from dec12 or Sept 13?...
                20-08-2017, 08:48 AM
              • Reply to Ground rent rpi base
                landforce
                Thanks for the above . V useful knowledge there
                21-08-2017, 07:42 AM
              • Clarification on lease and recovering costs
                jerome_sw
                Please can someone clarify the meaning of this section of the lease;

"to indemnify the landlords against all costs charges and expenses (including legal costs and fees payable to any surveyor) which may be incurred or be borne by the landlords
                (a) in or in contemplation of any...
                20-08-2017, 11:45 AM
              • Reply to Clarification on lease and recovering costs
                jerome_sw
                We are due to attend the FTT on the breach of covenant so if they deem the breach to have occurred then I am thinking (b) could apply. In any event I think (c) would apply as the costs have been incurred in pursuing the leaseholder to remedy the breach and repair the property back to it's original state....
                20-08-2017, 20:37 PM
                sgclacy
                The 1993 Act did not regard ground rents of little signicance - the full value had to be reflected in the valuation

by having a nil ground rent it was deigned to make it a complete formality for a lender to agree to the deed, originally it was intended that mortgagees consent would not...
                20-08-2017, 15:31 PM
              • Reply to Clarification on lease and recovering costs
                andydd
                Yes generally accepting the lease as continuing (by demanding and accepting rent/services charges) means you have waived any right to forfeit and so any right to costs, Im really not sure what b) and c) mean, a|) is the standard clause in most leases, Im not sure b) or c) cover breach of a covenant...
                20-08-2017, 14:16 PM
                MrSoffit
                "Two properties exactly the same one with a ground rent of a peppercorn and the other with a rent of £250 per annum will attract two differing sale prices. The one with a ground rent will clearly sell for less and the discount in the price is in effect a loan and the interest on that loan is in...
                20-08-2017, 13:39 PM
                sgclacy
                Rents linked to the RPI protects both the landlord and the tenant. From the landlords perspective it protects the rent from the adverse effects of inflation and from the Tenants point of view protects them from the consequences of the estimate of future inflation being wrong. For example if inflation...
                20-08-2017, 11:53 AM
                MrSoffit
                I ran some capitalisations assuming an original 99 year lease worth £100K when new with 79 years term left to run using the following variables:-

Increment rate (years): 15, 20, 25, 33
                Method: RPI% @ 2.5%,3.5%,4.5% versus fixed doubling
                Initial amounts: £100, £150, £200,...
                20-08-2017, 11:08 AM
              • Calling a meeting
                surreygirl
                We have not had a meeting for about four years and know nothing about the accounts or what is happening as I am not notified about a thing. When I asked for information about the accounts I was told to go to the Companies House web site but that doesnt tell me a thing.

I have sent out a...
                19-08-2017, 19:37 PM
              Working...
              X