Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leasehold repairs

Hi - any advice please on this one:

I've a leasehold flat in a converted three floor buliding consisting of a basement flat with garden, ground floor flat (mine) and 1/2 floor masionette flat.

I've recently been issued with a building maintence repair bill from the freeholder listing various repairs works necessary to the building. On viewing the listing I noticed that the majority of works related to repairs to the basement flat (guttering on extended kitchen, repair water pipe to garage etc).

I'm aware that I need to pay a share for the upkeep/maintence of the strutural aspects of the buliding and communal arears but unsure what constitutes a resonable share. I currently pay an equal share (33.3%) for ground rent and maintenance with the other leaseholders.

I guess my angst is that in my view the majority of the works required relate to the basement flat, with my payment of the bill having no direct benefit for my flat. In addition the garage is separate to the main building (accessable by basement flat leaseholder only) and last year I was hit with a bill for repairs to a wall in the garden of the basement flat (not a communal garden).

Should I perhaps address the percentage contribution to the maintenance fund/any future bills that I will have to pay going forward? (lowering my contribution as my flat occupies much less of the freehold building compared to the other flats) or am I being unreasonable?

Always rely on the terms of the lease.

Your share of the service charge is enshrined in the lease. The lease cannot be unilaterally amended.

Surely you see the logic in paying for maintenance to parts of the building which you do not directly access. I hope you’re not one of those people who complain about paying for a roof renewal if you lived on the ground floor!

Yes maybe the inclusion of the garage maintenance shared by all but used by just one lessee may have been an oversight at the time the lease was drawn up (I think it was done for simplicity). It’s too late to do anything about that now without agreement from the freeholder and all the lessees.

How long have you been a lessee in this building?

Comment

Read the Lease thourougly.

As a Freeholder the leases associated with other parts of the building are very precise in what has to be paid for. There is a block exemption which states that
      "To contribute and pay...... as are enjoyed or used in connection with two or more of the flats forming part of the said property namely"
      If it is for the sole use of one of the flats (my garage, downstairs cellar) then the others do not have to pay.

Comment

Thanks for your replys.

I'll double check my current lease (and all other leases in the future!).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sole Director
          by Stacker
          Hope you are all healthy and safe!....our AOA state that a quorum is required. The sole director has appointed another director, without one shareholder knowing about the meeting my question is would the meeting have been quorate and could the company secretary act ( one they hire not a member) be part...
          29-03-2020, 10:41 AM
        • Reply to Sole Director
          by Stacker
          Thanks for that however I have just been trawling thro google and found that is not the case if the AOA states quorum required and mentions directors as in plural the sole director can not act for the company or the board as they are a sole director, so meeting needs to be quorate by bringing in a member...
          29-03-2020, 20:28 PM
        • Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
          by eshroom
          My mum has had her flat let out for some time, it is currently unoccupied and given COVID shall remain so for a few months.

The service charge was £20 per month more for her as it was rented. She wasn't happy but went along with it. She asked to have it dropped now that it is not rented...
          27-03-2020, 10:42 AM
        • Reply to Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
          by leaseholder64
          Leases often have clauses about not causing additional expenditure, particularly for insurance, so it might be possible to charge as administration charges, as well.
          29-03-2020, 11:23 AM
        • Reply to Sole Director
          by leaseholder64
          Most AoA allow a sole director to appoint other directors, even though otherwise inquorate. Generally the only other thing they can do is call a general meeting.

The company secretary does not count towards the quorum.

Many RMCs operate without a quorum, even though the director...
          29-03-2020, 11:16 AM
        • Rent Act restricting ground rent
          by Section20z
          One of my ground rent leases has a mechanism for the rent to rise on any assignment "......provided that such rent shall never exceed the amount which would bring this lease within the provisions of the Rent Act 1968 or any Act amending or re-enacting the same"
          The rent should be £650pa...
          27-03-2020, 09:44 AM
        • Reply to Rent Act restricting ground rent
          by Section20z
          Thanks , that makes complete sense and clears up why they would not want a long lease to be covered by the Rent Act.

Of course the buyer was aware of the new rent and should have adjusted premium accordingly. The novel feature here is that the ground rent increases with any "difference"...
          29-03-2020, 08:31 AM
          by sgclacy
          The Rent Acts referred to in the old lease precluded a premium being charged for the assignment of a lease and of course that is why there was a restriction in the old lease.

However the current issue with ground rents exceeding £250 outside of London is that some, but not all lawyers,...
          29-03-2020, 03:45 AM
        • Reply to Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
          by Macromia
          Unless the lease makes it clear that this "reasonable proportion" only applies to the service charges as a whole, it could be argued that flats with non-resident leaseholders could be charged a higher proportion of the managing agents fees - but only if they can justify this as reasonable,...
          29-03-2020, 03:13 AM
          by Macromia
          So, presumably, the part of the clause that you have not quoted allows the ground rent at each new assignment to be set as a percentage of the sale price?

This seems backwards to me (unless there is a more complicated formula used), because it means that the higher the sale price, the higher...
          29-03-2020, 02:46 AM
        Working...
        X