Buying share in an existing management company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying share in an existing management company

I'm a FTB and am totally confused about my lease. I put an offer in on a flat in Beckton East London and was told by the EA that the remaining lease was 100 years. I wanted the EA to confirm this as she had been vague about quite a few aspects of the flat and she reluctantly told me three days later the lease is actually 76 years. I requested the seller to extend the lease but she wants a quick sale and said she contacted the management company (Andrews of Bristol) and they said I'm able to buy a share of the freehold. I was a little unsure so I phoned the management agency and they confirmed this and said I wouldn't even have to wait the 12 months I had been advised by LEASE.
    I have 3 questions really:
    1. If you weren't part of the original tennants who set up a residents association and bought shares in the freehold- do you have the same rights in buying a share of the freehold and could you ever be refused?
    2. Does buying a share of the freehold mean you don't have to worry about extending the 76 year lease?
    3. It's an old Barrats home: Would Barrats be my freeholder or do they normally sell their blocks after building them.

I suggest that you-

1. Get a copy of the registered title for the flat and also for the freehold. ( cost is about 4 pounds each) from the Land Registry. This give the unexpired term of lease on the flat and name of the freeholder.( expect a company listed at Companies House where you can get the shareholder information - name of directors and number of shareholders who own a share of the freehold ). Check freehold company name is same as the freeholder shown on the annual ground rent invoice .

Note- The Residents Asssociation may not be the freehold company if some flats did not participate in buying the freehold.

2. Try to contact the company secretary of the freehold company and ask (1) cost of buying a SOF and (2) if the leases of the flats with SOF have been extended and get details etc.

Comment

In answer to the orginal questions.

1. The freehold is normally owned by a company which was set up by the participating tenants when the freehold was aquired by them. Each tenant is then a shareholder in that company. so it is a share of the company they own strictly speaking, rather than a share of the freehold.
      If you or your predecessor was not one of the participating tenants then you have no right to a share of the company and the existing shareholders do not have to sell you a share. Perhaps more importantly if they are willing to sell you a share the price is completely negotiable.
      2. Even if you have shares in the company which owns the freehold, your lease is a different matter. You would still be leasing the flat and the term of the lease would not change just because you aquired a share of the freehold company. However, you would still have the same rights to extend the lease and if you could not agree a fair price you could take your case to the LVT.
      3. Do a search online at the land registry. It will cost you £2 to find out who owns the freehold.
      NOTE: Steven Palmer BSc (Hons) MRICS MBEng is an official LandlordZONE Topic Expert and a Director of Davisons Palmer Lim Any advice given by Steven in this Forum is of a general nature only and should not be acted upon without first obtaining advice specific to your problem/situation from a professional.

Comment

Thanks for your help SteveP and tenant29. I looked at the lease and it looks like the freehold is owned by the management company and the original freeholder. I have asked my solicitor to make arrangements for me to buy the share in the company and find out the price.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Converting front garden into a driveway.
          by Section20z
          I think paving could be argued to be a normal use of a garden, (bearing in mind it will need to be permeable anyway for building regs) If the other 2 flats aren't going to complain then I'd be inclined to just do it.
          What's the worst that can happen.......
          31-03-2020, 21:39 PM
        • Converting front garden into a driveway.
          by ForumFirstTimer
          Hello,

I purchased my ground floor flat last year, its a converted house with 3 flats in. It has a small front garden which is 100% mine within the lease, but it is large enough that it would fit a car on it.

The 'Garden' right now it just patchy weeds.

My question...
          30-03-2020, 15:09 PM
        • Sole Director
          by Stacker
          Hope you are all healthy and safe!....our AOA state that a quorum is required. The sole director has appointed another director, without one shareholder knowing about the meeting my question is would the meeting have been quorate and could the company secretary act ( one they hire not a member) be part...
          29-03-2020, 10:41 AM
        • Reply to Sole Director
          by Stacker
          The articles clearly sate no decisions to be taken unless the meeting is quorate meaning directors - the board, the same for shareholder meetings. A sole director can impose his sole authority if he is the only shareholder however the company has AOA which clearly state all meetings are to be quorate...otherwise...
          31-03-2020, 12:55 PM
        • Reply to Sole Director
          by Stacker
          Sorry leaseholder 64 that is wrong...
          31-03-2020, 12:51 PM
          by Lawcruncher
          They may not "need" payment. It depends on what the lease says. There are three possibiities:

· The lease says nothing about making alterations or additions or. if it does, the changes you propose are not covered. In that case you can go ahead without asking the landlord....
          31-03-2020, 08:37 AM
        • Recourse for work we paid out based on freeholder's incorrect advice
          by eshroom
          When my mum bought her flat exactly 5 years ago, she discovered an issue with the buildings wast pipe, which was under her basement flat. It had been leaking and caused a foul smell.

She informed the freeholder of the urgent drain issue and they said it was not something for them to investigate...
          30-03-2020, 21:50 PM
          by ForumFirstTimer
          thanks for your reply.

What would they specifically need payment for? The fact that it's going to be used as a driveway or because I am changing the front garden from grass (solid and weeds) to paving?

thanks
          30-03-2020, 21:11 PM
          by nukecad
          You would need the freeholders permission for a start, and if they allow you then they will probably want payment for that.
          30-03-2020, 19:50 PM
        • Reply to Pansies before people
          by ram
          I have had to borrow money to keep afloat ( One does not use ones capital till it's all gone. one takes out loans, and keeps his capital - that's how I do it. )...
          30-03-2020, 17:48 PM
        Working...
        X