67 yrs unexpired- cost of extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

67 yrs unexpired- cost of extension

My partner and I have found a flat we are interested in buying.

The cost is £118,000 but the estate agent has said that there is 67 years of the lease left so they are asking for a further £8000.00 to extend it.

Can someone explain clearly to me what this means?

Thank you all again

Jim

1. UK leasehold property contracts ( The Leases) are written on unfair terms for the tenant whereby the property always belongs to the landlord /freeholder and the tenant just rents the property on a longterm basis and has to hand back the property upon expiry of the lease term. So the Lease is reallly just a longterm rental contract which is registered at Land Registry , secured by mortgage lending and title holder can be transferred to another party.

2. Whilst mortgage lenders are willing to lend on Leasehold property title , many companies seem reluctant to offer high percentage loans on property below 80 years due to a higher risk of falling values of the security backing the loan under poor market conditions. To overcome this problem, the law allows the tenant to obtain a 90 year extension of the lease at a peppercorn annual ground rent. The cost of the 90 year extension will include cost of remaining ground rent payable over 67 years calculated back to present value + half the gain in market value ( between a 67 year flat and 157 year flat). Some estate agents have Chartered Surveyors who can advise better on the cost of lease extension..

3. You need to get a written quote for lease extension as the offer may not be under the same conditions ( e.g asking higher ground rent )as the one which you can seek a value judged by the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal. Quite often , buyers may insist that the extension is obtained by the existing tenant as a condition inserted in the sale contract because of a legal requirement that the tenant must be a leaseholder for 2 years before applyoing for extension.

4. The "gain in value" between the 67 year lease and 157 year lease is called the "marriage value ". An organisation call CARL ( www.carl.org.uk) is campaigning to abolish marriage value and the Leasehold system and it should be supported by all leaseholders.
    Last edited by tenant29; 22-05-2006, 10:11 AM. Reason: Iten 4 added

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sole Director
      by Stacker
      Hope you are all healthy and safe!....our AOA state that a quorum is required. The sole director has appointed another director, without one shareholder knowing about the meeting my question is would the meeting have been quorate and could the company secretary act ( one they hire not a member) be part...
      29-03-2020, 10:41 AM
    • Reply to Sole Director
      by Stacker
      Thanks for that however I have just been trawling thro google and found that is not the case if the AOA states quorum required and mentions directors as in plural the sole director can not act for the company or the board as they are a sole director, so meeting needs to be quorate by bringing in a member...
      29-03-2020, 20:28 PM
    • Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
      by eshroom
      My mum has had her flat let out for some time, it is currently unoccupied and given COVID shall remain so for a few months.

The service charge was £20 per month more for her as it was rented. She wasn't happy but went along with it. She asked to have it dropped now that it is not rented...
      27-03-2020, 10:42 AM
    • Reply to Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
      by leaseholder64
      Leases often have clauses about not causing additional expenditure, particularly for insurance, so it might be possible to charge as administration charges, as well.
      29-03-2020, 11:23 AM
    • Reply to Sole Director
      by leaseholder64
      Most AoA allow a sole director to appoint other directors, even though otherwise inquorate. Generally the only other thing they can do is call a general meeting.

The company secretary does not count towards the quorum.

Many RMCs operate without a quorum, even though the director...
      29-03-2020, 11:16 AM
    • Rent Act restricting ground rent
      by Section20z
      One of my ground rent leases has a mechanism for the rent to rise on any assignment "......provided that such rent shall never exceed the amount which would bring this lease within the provisions of the Rent Act 1968 or any Act amending or re-enacting the same"
      The rent should be £650pa...
      27-03-2020, 09:44 AM
    • Reply to Rent Act restricting ground rent
      by Section20z
      Thanks , that makes complete sense and clears up why they would not want a long lease to be covered by the Rent Act.

Of course the buyer was aware of the new rent and should have adjusted premium accordingly. The novel feature here is that the ground rent increases with any "difference"...
      29-03-2020, 08:31 AM
      by sgclacy
      The Rent Acts referred to in the old lease precluded a premium being charged for the assignment of a lease and of course that is why there was a restriction in the old lease.

However the current issue with ground rents exceeding £250 outside of London is that some, but not all lawyers,...
      29-03-2020, 03:45 AM
    • Reply to Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
      by Macromia
      Unless the lease makes it clear that this "reasonable proportion" only applies to the service charges as a whole, it could be argued that flats with non-resident leaseholders could be charged a higher proportion of the managing agents fees - but only if they can justify this as reasonable,...
      29-03-2020, 03:13 AM
      by Macromia
      So, presumably, the part of the clause that you have not quoted allows the ground rent at each new assignment to be set as a percentage of the sale price?

This seems backwards to me (unless there is a more complicated formula used), because it means that the higher the sale price, the higher...
      29-03-2020, 02:46 AM
    Working...
    X