67 yrs unexpired- cost of extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

67 yrs unexpired- cost of extension

My partner and I have found a flat we are interested in buying.

The cost is £118,000 but the estate agent has said that there is 67 years of the lease left so they are asking for a further £8000.00 to extend it.

Can someone explain clearly to me what this means?

Thank you all again

Jim

1. UK leasehold property contracts ( The Leases) are written on unfair terms for the tenant whereby the property always belongs to the landlord /freeholder and the tenant just rents the property on a longterm basis and has to hand back the property upon expiry of the lease term. So the Lease is reallly just a longterm rental contract which is registered at Land Registry , secured by mortgage lending and title holder can be transferred to another party.

2. Whilst mortgage lenders are willing to lend on Leasehold property title , many companies seem reluctant to offer high percentage loans on property below 80 years due to a higher risk of falling values of the security backing the loan under poor market conditions. To overcome this problem, the law allows the tenant to obtain a 90 year extension of the lease at a peppercorn annual ground rent. The cost of the 90 year extension will include cost of remaining ground rent payable over 67 years calculated back to present value + half the gain in market value ( between a 67 year flat and 157 year flat). Some estate agents have Chartered Surveyors who can advise better on the cost of lease extension..

3. You need to get a written quote for lease extension as the offer may not be under the same conditions ( e.g asking higher ground rent )as the one which you can seek a value judged by the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal. Quite often , buyers may insist that the extension is obtained by the existing tenant as a condition inserted in the sale contract because of a legal requirement that the tenant must be a leaseholder for 2 years before applyoing for extension.

4. The "gain in value" between the 67 year lease and 157 year lease is called the "marriage value ". An organisation call CARL ( www.carl.org.uk) is campaigning to abolish marriage value and the Leasehold system and it should be supported by all leaseholders.
    Last edited by tenant29; 22-05-2006, 10:11 AM. Reason: Iten 4 added

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Solicitor & valuer advice
      by C@johnD
      Hi all,

I'm new to the site, so I hope I'm posting to the appropriate forum.

I am looking to extend my lease. I live in London SW14 (Mortlake/Barnes). I have 89 years left on the leasehold, and I've had the lease for 15 years. I'm recently married and ultimately want to put...
      27-03-2020, 19:07 PM
    • Reply to Solicitor & valuer advice
      by Tipper
      Are you the first leaseholder? Or did you buy the lease from a previous owner?
      28-03-2020, 10:58 AM
      by TruthLedger
      Best value is, probably, going to be if you do a look up on google since you'll get access to multiple sources with reviews. Then, there is whether you want to do it online versus physically going into a building. Personally, I prefer the online route because it's cheaper, more convenient and less hassle...
      28-03-2020, 10:45 AM
      by C@johnD
      Ok thanks! Apologies if I've been inappropriate, I just don't know where to turn for referrals as I don't know anyone who has ever been in my position.

As for local firms versus non-local, is the only real advantage proximity to show ID, etc? Cost of travel versus high fees may make it...
      28-03-2020, 08:42 AM
    • Coronavirus - Tenant demanding Deep clean of common areas & hand sanitiser installed
      by LeeMac
      Hi I wonder if anyone can provide any advice?

My tenant is demanding that l and/or the Freeholders deepclean the common areas of the building and install a hand sanitiser by the communal front door.

I have a share of the freehold and one of the flats in the converted building...
      20-03-2020, 23:32 PM
    • Reply to Coronavirus - Tenant demanding Deep clean of common areas & hand sanitiser installed
      by nukecad
      I never said that your link did contain that wording, because clearly it doesn't.

But neither does it contain the wording that it is 'no longer a highly infectious disease', which is what you were trying to have people believe by making just that assertion and then posting the link supposedly...
      27-03-2020, 23:11 PM
      by Section20z
      Hi John, I think it's frowned upon to name companies on this forum so post may get removed but I use Margaret Ilori of Capulet Solicitors, not far from you who gives a good personal service and is familiar with leasehold law.
      Advantage of a local firm is you may need to attend and show your ...
      27-03-2020, 22:31 PM
    • Rent Act restricting ground rent
      by Section20z
      One of my ground rent leases has a mechanism for the rent to rise on any assignment "......provided that such rent shall never exceed the amount which would bring this lease within the provisions of the Rent Act 1968 or any Act amending or re-enacting the same"
      The rent should be £650pa...
      27-03-2020, 09:44 AM
    • Reply to Rent Act restricting ground rent
      by Section20z
      My apologies for not being clearer, the lease doesn't allow the freeholder to pick a ground rent at random, it simply rises commensurate with sale price which is quite a common mechanism and in this case gives rise to a new ground rent of £650.
      The only query I have is in respect of the caveat...
      27-03-2020, 21:57 PM
    • Reply to Coronavirus - Tenant demanding Deep clean of common areas & hand sanitiser installed
      by Macromia
      You'll no doubt also be aware that what a lease (or other contract) doesn't say can be just as important.

What is it that you think you have to gain from refusing to accept that this virus is extremely contagious?

You really don't have an argument here, you're just making yourself...
      27-03-2020, 18:38 PM
    Working...
    X