Repairs carried out by a leaseholder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairs carried out by a leaseholder...

We recently bought the freehold of a small residential block; the sellers were administrators/receivers of a failed company, who, needless to say allowed the premises to deteriorate and didnt bother insuring, or collecting any rent, or addressing any repair issues whatsoever.

We have recently been out to tender to get the repairs organised and started to consult. One of the lessees has been in touch to say that prior to our involvement, he had some repairs carried out to the roof a section of which was leaking into his flat and is now hoping that we will collect contributions from the other lessees to reimburse him.

We have every sympathy with the lessee concerned, and would like to do what we can to assist but don't think we can enforce payments from others in this circumstance. Does the panel agree?

If the wording in the lease requires all flats to contribute to the roof repairs, then it is OK to charge the cost to the "building service charge account" and recover the share of cost from individual flats and to re-imburse the flat which arranged the repairs.
    But there is a time limit to comply -- the repair bill cannot go back more than 18 months as a valid expense under the service charge account.

Comment

repairs carried out on self help basis by lessee

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
      If the wording in the lease requires all flats to contribute to the roof repairs, then it is OK to charge the cost to the "building service charge account" and recover the share of cost from individual flats and to re-imburse the flat which arranged the repairs.
      But there is a time limit to comply -- the repair bill cannot go back more than 18 months as a valid expense under the service charge account.

GOOD POINT recoverable even if no s20 consultation took place? or would you say that the works were "urgent" and therefore no consultation was required to have taken place?

Comment

Originally posted by quarterday View Post
        GOOD POINT recoverable even if no s20 consultation took place? or would you say that the works were "urgent" and therefore no consultation was required to have taken place?
        Yes. He organised work to stop a clear breach of the building's fabric. That's urgent!
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
          by flyingfreehold
          Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
          21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
        • Reply to collective enfranchisement
          by sgclacy
          I think I have found the answer:-

Hague - Leasehold Enfranchisement (seventh edition) at 24-01

It is considered that to be a participating tenant, the lessee must be registered at the HM Land Registry as proprietor of the lease at the relevant date

The note...
          22-05-2022, 21:37 PM
        • Section 20
          by Anna1985
          So the lease allows for the property to be kept in good condition.
          Thus, the shared hall could be spruced up no problem, but there is an issue with driveway - partially it belongs to the freeholder, partially to the ground floor leaseholder - it is made out of the old paving stones, it looks...
          22-05-2022, 21:03 PM
        • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
          by jazzythumper
          Thanks, how would I do that, what evidence would I need to provide?...
          22-05-2022, 20:10 PM
        • Old managing agents accounts
          by jazzythumper
          Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
          20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
        • Building works & S20 process
          by RichA
          Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
          21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
        • Reply to Building works & S20 process
          by scot22
          What if something goes wrong ? You need a surveyor to safeguard your interests. There are some untrustworthy roofers, and other trades.
          It is better to follow standard procedures. From experience I would not follow informal routes. O.K when everyone reasonable and cooperative but things can...
          22-05-2022, 19:39 PM
        • Reply to Building works & S20 process
          by RichA
          If the work is 'contracted' by the leaseholders rather than the freeholder does that remove the requirement for a S20?

eg if the 4x leaseholders wish to accept a quote and get the works done (including making payment) does this avoid S20 consultation?
          22-05-2022, 18:51 PM
          by sgclacy
          I think the new lessee is unable to join because of the registration gap

https://www.birketts.co.uk/insights/...gistration-gap

the lessees predecessor who is holding the property on trust of course for the new lessee until the registration is complete...
          22-05-2022, 06:15 AM
          by flyingfreehold
          at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
          21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
        Working...
        X