Help with Section13 notice (Enfranchisement)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Section13 notice (Enfranchisement)

Dear all
    This is my first post on these forums so please go easy on me!

Myself and my wife own a property in a block of three purpose built flats. We live on the ground floor and own the freehold to the property as well as having a long lease on our flat. The two tenants above us (who both have long leases of over 150 years) have served a notice on us using the Leasehold Reform and Urban Development Act 1993 Section 13, stating their intention to purchase our freehold in it's entirety. They have also stated that they are willing afterward to negotiate cutting us in on a share for the freehold but that would be a separate process.

To be honest, we're gobsmacked that this is even possible but more to the point we are extremely reluctant to give up control of the freehold on principle. I have a few questions that I wondered if anyone can help me with....

1) We have sole use of our garden although there is a fire escape at the rear of the property which the leases of the above flats allow access to in the case of an emergency. Should they gain complete control of the freehold, would we potentially lose our right to exclusive use of the garden? Could they grant themselves access to it?

2) Is it legal that they can seize the freehold without offering us a share during the enfranchisement process? Like I said, we are leaseholders as well so I would have thought we were entitled to be offered this.

3) Our upstairs neighbour continues to use the terrace at the rear of his property (which is also our kitchen roof) for recreational activities such as barbeques, despite his lease stating that this area is for access only in the event of an emergency. When asked to remove furniture from this area and to cease using it as such, he flatly refused. This request was made verbally but there were witnesses to his refusal. He has also been observed sunbathing on our flat roof (including putting a sun lounger up there) when this area is not for this purpose. Can such behaviour be used as leverage in some way to derail this process?

4) We have been advised to seek a valuation of the freehold as in their notice they have offered a laughable amount of £350 for the entire freehold and it's associated premises (meaning the front and rear garden). We shall be doing this after our solicitor has checked that the notice served is valid. Are there any other processes and tactics we can employ to put up a struggle, delay and test their resolve? Our suspicion is that they may not have the stomach for a long fight nor wish to dig deeply into their pockets so we're looking for any angle that we can work to fight back.We intend to exercise every right we have which invokes costs on their part (legal or otherwise) whilst doing our best to run up a huge legal bill ourselves. Tips on such rights would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, my apologies if I come across as mean, that's not the intention. Since we bought the property, we have tried our best to accommodate the wishes of the leaseholders, to get on with them and be decent people but it seems we have been played somewhat. We thought we got on with our neighbours up until this point so we feel aggrieved at this sudden turn of events.

Many thanks for any advice on this matter

Ron

Just a quick amend...I meant whilst avoiding running up a huge legal bill ourselves....Didn't notice that one until just now.

Thanks

Ron

Comment

As the two are two-thirds of the total leaseholders, they have a statutory right to collective enfranchisement purchase; s.13 says so.
      BUT they have to pay V's fees (= yours) for a valuation and all conveyancing work.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi Jeffrey
        Thanks for replying. I know on the face of it that we have to yield to some degree, but any idea on the points I've mentioned, such as the garden and not offering us the opportunity for a share in the freehold from the outset?

Thanks

Ron

Comment

As they've serve a Notice, they're liable for your fees- so why not now instruct a solicitor (at their expense) to advise you more fully than LZ can?
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

If the garden is demised to your particular leasehold flat, then it will remain yours. If not, expect things to change if they are successful.

You definitely need a solicitor fully conversant with collective enfranchisement matters to represent you during this process. There are statutory time constraints for freeholders that you don’t want to miss.

You never know maybe they will not adhere to lessee statutory time constraints and/or run out of money and/or accept an offer from you to buy one of their flats.

Any railway tracks running through your property per chance?

The collective enfranchisement clock is ticking - employ a solicitor today.

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey and Poppy again for your replies.

We have indeed hired a solicitor who we are going to see tomorrow, bringing along with us of course all of the relevant paperwork.

The garden is listed in our lease for our use and is clearly marked as such in a drawn up plan. The same plan is used in the leases for the flats above us, with hatched boundaries showing access rights. The garden is clearly not included in these boundaries in their leases so hopefully that means we are safe....It has always been a given that the garden is for our use only.

Poppy, why do you mention railway tracks? Would it have any influence on the matter?

Thanks

Ron

Comment

Yes, properties that have railway tracks running through cannot be collectively enfranchised. Take a look at the Leasehold Advisory Service website.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Burchell View Post
                  Poppy, why do you mention railway tracks? Would it have any influence on the matter?
                  Because of s.4(5) of 1993 Act:

4(5). This Chapter does not apply to premises falling within section 3(1) if the freehold of the premises includes track of an operational railway; and for the purposes of this subsection:
                  (a) track includes any land or other property comprising the permanent way of a railway (whether or not it is also used for other purposes) and includes any bridge, tunnel, culvert, retaining wall or other structure used for the support of, or otherwise in connection with, track,
                  (b) operational means not disused, and
                  (c) railway has the same meaning as in any provision of Part 1 of the Railways Act 1993 (c. 43) for the purposes of which that term is stated to have its wider meaning.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                    by JK0
                    Do you have insurance for the contents? Maybe there is loss of rent cover included there.
                    18-05-2022, 06:11 AM
                  • Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                    by Ldawg
                    The flat I rent out has suffered from recurrent leaks from upstairs since I purchased it, 4 leaks in 4 years. It's caused me to lose one tenant already. I feel like there is no incentive for the owner upstairs to sort the problem (check the plumbing etc) as the cost is always covered by insurance and...
                    24-01-2022, 19:48 PM
                  • RTM director service charge arrears
                    by ARG
                    Hello, I am new here so please excuse me if this question has already been asked, but a search has drawn a blank.

I am a director of an RTM of a property with 25 flats. I would be very grateful if anyone here can advise whether a resident who is more than six months in arrears with his...
                    17-05-2022, 15:38 PM
                  • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
                    by fos333
                    This is the important question, what are the reasons for non payment?

Have demands been correctly served including the correct summaries of rights and obligations?

Are the landlord obligations under the lease being carried out?

Have service charge end of year accounts...
                    17-05-2022, 21:48 PM
                  • Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                    by Tony-Edwards
                    Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
                    17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
                  • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
                    by vmart
                    Is there a restrictive covenant in the title of the commercial-property owner (CPO) giving you and the other lessee a right of way over the land?

Is the CPO a freeholder or leaseholder of the land?

With regard to the point related to '20 years' you are referring to adverse...
                    17-05-2022, 21:06 PM
                  • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
                    by vmart
                    The RTM can make a money claim online but as this enquiry concerns service charges the lessee will have the right to have the service charges determined unless already agreed. Depending upon the lessee's response to the claim, the County Court may refer the claim to the FTT.

What are the...
                    17-05-2022, 20:54 PM
                  • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
                    by Ldawg
                    Thanks for your response.

All costs are being covered by the management company. So currently I'm not actually losing out so I'm not really sure what I'm claiming for! More just the stress of it all. And the potential loss of earning and making unrentable/saleable as you say. Yes the floor...
                    17-05-2022, 20:22 PM
                  • Lease Extension - Relativity
                    by comm1985
                    Hoping to get some clarification,

If a flat (Outside Greater London) with 60 years left is sold for £110,000 and comparable properties with longer leases attain £160,000

What is the relativity in this case?

Would it be £110000 less 5.5% (to estimate for no act...
                    17-05-2022, 15:12 PM
                  • Reply to Lease Extension - Relativity
                    by comm1985
                    I for one would appreciate a more stable approach in deriving the premium...

In this instance what would

1. The sensible premium be?

A)£32000 (based on the value the actual short lease was just sold for i.e Relativity 65%)
                    or
                    B)£20,000 (based on graph...
                    17-05-2022, 20:19 PM
                  Working...
                  X