Breach of lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breach of lease

Hi everyone, I live in a converted flat. There are 8 flats in the house. The owners also own a share of the freehold via a limited company. I am a director of the ltd company along with another leaseholder, Y, and together we manage the property. Y was only appointed recently following resignation of X. X owns the property upstairs from myself and he had removed his carpet and underlay and had laminate floors laid. The lease contains the usual clauses about keeping floors covered with carpet and underlay and not causing annoyance or nuisance to other neighbours. Over time the wooden floors caused tremendous noise nuisance and eventually I asked him to recarpet the floors which after a great deal of argument and upset, he did. However, he has since continued to cause noise nuisance by having his TV on full blast complete with surround sound and sub woofer, leaving his washing machine/dryer on and stomping on the floor (I can tell the difference between normal footfall and stomping) and on many occasions these noises have taken place 11pm to 7am, disturbing my sleep. My solicitor has written to him about the breach of the lease (although it is now remedied) and noise nuisance. In some ways, his actions now feel like low level harassment on the basis of 'I have done what you asked by recarpeting my floors, so I can make any other noise I wish'. I know that if the sound proofing is poor and the noises are part of day to day living, that I cannot complain, but I am specifically talking about loud noises especially at night and early in the morning. I have spent a long time thinking about my options and researching various case law/statute/etc, but one avenue, if the noise continues, will be to sue for civil nuisance for the time when the wooden floors were down and he caused a lot of inconvenience. Does anyone think that this is possible, given sufficient evidence?

Originally posted by Bolly View Post
    Hi everyone, I live in a converted flat. There are 8 flats in the house. The owners also own a share of the freehold via a limited company. I am a director of the ltd company along with another leaseholder, Y, and together we manage the property. Y was only appointed recently following resignation of X. X owns the property upstairs from myself and he had removed his carpet and underlay and had laminate floors laid. The lease contains the usual clauses about keeping floors covered with carpet and underlay and not causing annoyance or nuisance to other neighbours. Over time the wooden floors caused tremendous noise nuisance and eventually I asked him to recarpet the floors which after a great deal of argument and upset, he did. However, he has since continued to cause noise nuisance by having his TV on full blast complete with surround sound and sub woofer, leaving his washing machine/dryer on and stomping on the floor (I can tell the difference between normal footfall and stomping) and on many occasions these noises have taken place 11pm to 7am, disturbing my sleep. My solicitor has written to him about the breach of the lease (although it is now remedied) and noise nuisance. In some ways, his actions now feel like low level harassment on the basis of 'I have done what you asked by recarpeting my floors, so I can make any other noise I wish'. I know that if the sound proofing is poor and the noises are part of day to day living, that I cannot complain, but I am specifically talking about loud noises especially at night and early in the morning. I have spent a long time thinking about my options and researching various case law/statute/etc, but one avenue, if the noise continues, will be to sue for civil nuisance for the time when the wooden floors were down and he caused a lot of inconvenience. Does anyone think that this is possible, given sufficient evidence?
    Is this regarding the noise that was made or is still being made ?

Andy
    Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

I sympathise... Noise is notoriously difficult to resolve.

Read your lease carefully and document every breach. There may be a clause saying tv/radio must not be heard outside the flat or something similar. Often a neighbour like that will do other things in breach of lease to annoy. The usual defence to a noise action is that it's normal noise, so you need to show it's not. I suggest getting hold of a noise meter to measure the absolute db levels (£200+). Record the background level when the neighbours out, then add the readings to your log, especially late at night. I've never found any legislative documentation to back this up, but several environmental health websites mention 10db above the background noise level as being what they consider a nuisance.

Bear in mind that once you make a noise complaint, your flat becomes unsaleable, at least until the issue is resolved. It may be better to move...!
      I am not a solicitor, I am a lessee/shareholder in conflict with the management. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!

Comment

Tell your neighbour that if he doesn't pack up making a noise, you will move out and let your flat to West Indians with a bigger hifi than his!
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Breach of lease

Thanks Andy DD. My question is about ongoing noise really....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
            by flyingfreehold
            Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
            21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
          • Reply to collective enfranchisement
            by flyingfreehold
            at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
            21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
          • Building works & S20 process
            by RichA
            Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
            21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
          • Reply to Building works & S20 process
            by scot22
            It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
            21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
          • Reply to collective enfranchisement
            by Tipper
            Ask lease-advice.org
            21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
          • Reply to Levy
            by scot22
            Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
            21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
          • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
            by Macromia
            They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
            21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
          • Changes to lease wording
            by bigalxyz
            In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
            14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
          • Reply to Changes to lease wording
            by Lawcruncher
            If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
            21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
          • Reply to Levy
            by Macromia
            ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
            21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
          Working...
          X