F/r owner appoints Managing Agent- who pays fee?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    F/r owner appoints Managing Agent- who pays fee?

    Hi there

    I am a lessee for a flat within an old converted house. The house has been neglected and left unmanaged for several years. The Landlord's solicitor has finally sent round a Surveyor to do some assessments. He will also act as our Managing Agent should the solicitor appoint him. Just got some questions.

    1) Are we liable to pay for the costs of his assessments and reports?
    2) How does he earn his money? Is it as and when work is done he charges a fee?
    3) Can they charge Lessees for any letters they send you, eg £30?
    4) He has spoken about all sorts of things that need to be rectified with the house which I do not agree with eg trees coming down. Do we have a right to object to works?
    5) Do we have any say on how our money is spent?

    Would appreciate your answers.

    Thanks a lot

    1. It all depends on what the lease requires/permits. In particular, see its Service Charge scheme.
    2. Also see s.18-s.30 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, re what L has to do statutorily: http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/Home.aspx
    3. You and the other lessees can seize control by:
    a. Right To Manage; or
    b. Right To Enfranchise.
    Do a LandlordZONE search (on this Forum) for these schemes.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).


    Latest Activity