X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council own f/r to my flat; much noise from other flat

i am sorry if this is wrong forum but feel need some advice
    recently tenants who were living in the flat above me -moved
    had always problems with them..cos their children like running all day in their flat and floor they used was not carper
    complained to the council..they suggested counceling..tenat above refused...wasted my time..do they really care

2 weeks ago they moved
    also they left water tap running so leakage started in bathroom-had to call emergency repairs

then it was where i learnt before they moved they demolished the flat
    floor,walls,

now i experiencing noise from council who need to repair the flat from 7.30 in the morning
    it is just too much..can not sleep..just called them and report it
    also i was told they were using the floor that wasnt supposed to be used in council flats..

now
    1.what time can they start working
    2.do they need to inform before they start
    3.when i called them for emergency repair for water leakage-i didnt receive any feedback,so needed to go up to see what happened..can this be right?

What are my rights,because i am so fed up i want to move from here.
    thanks for help

Please clarify.
    1. Are you a long-leaseholder or only a short-term tenant?
    2. Were the upstairs flat's occupiers only short-term tenants of its long-leaseholder?
    3. Are the Council freeholders of the whole block?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Or.. to put Jeffrey's response into more lay friendly terms:

a. are you tenant? If so are you a private tenant or do you rent directly from the council or other social landlord?

b. or do you own your flat?

Comment

Please clarify.
        1. Are you a long-leaseholder or only a short-term tenant?
        2. Were the upstairs flat's occupiers only short-term tenants of its long-leaseholder?
        3. Are the Council freeholders of the whole block?
        ==============
        Thanks for fast reply

1.Yes,i bought the flat in 2002 so i am long leaseholder..
        2.People upstairs moved in 2004 and they were council tenants.Mother with 3 kids and husband or partner coming now and then.
        Making so much noise from day 1.Complained to council-all waste of time,.
        When they moved,one of council guys said..they were using the floor that is forbiden to be used in flats..
        That is why i could almost never sleep during the day or before 11.00pm..
        Thinking back..most probably benefit froud..cos they bought new car and ahd another one.
        Also learn that Apparently demolishing flat,when tenents leave is common thing!
        Council do nothing...but i know i will be the one paying for their neglience.
        I am really worried,that new tenants will be some scam again..
        3.Yes,they are...hounslow council,london to be precise

I wrote them email and called them..still no answer from them.
        But hey..if i am late with my service charge or council tax they are so quick to respond.
        Almost thinking to sue them and moving from here once for all.
        Paying too much for nothing really..Or paying for stress-if ,getting grey!
        Well thanks for any help and advice

Comment

So Council still own freehold reversion. Read your lease. Do they covenant to enforce the obligations of other lessees/tenants?
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• AGM cancelled.
            by Grumio
            Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
            26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
          • Reply to AGM cancelled.
            by eagle2
            Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
            26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
            by Grumio
            It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
            26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
          • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
            by sgclacy
            Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
            26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
          • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
            by Section20z
            You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
            freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
            26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
          • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by Section20z
            Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
            26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
          • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by Santa Fe
            Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
            24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
            by eagle2
            Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
            26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
          • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by eagle2
            I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
            26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
            by fos333
            Is this a Residence Association or Residents Management Company?

Had invitations to the AGM been sent out to all members? If invitations had been issued then no the AGM should not have been cancelled.

If the 2 directors are "good friends of the managing agent" they...
            26-01-2022, 10:00 AM
          Working...
          X