Over-55s' leasehold flat; T's son running business from it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over-55s' leasehold flat; T's son running business from it

Does anyone know the law on running a business from a leasehold property please.

The owner of the lease has a son who has moved in with his Mother. These properties are specifically for the over 55s...son in his 30s.

He has left his place of work with back problems and started a Computer business from the property.

There are a few other issues here but not for this thread.

The Mother moved in about 2 years ago, bringing 3 cats when animals aren't allowed!!

I am led to understand son is claiming benefits as is Mother plus she is also claiming the single occupancy council tax rebate.

Until recently this was a desirable area. Sadly like so many places its going downhill fast with people like this in our midst.

Bloomer

What is your involvement in this matter? Are you a lessee in the same block?

Sounds like the lease is being breached on multiple fronts. The lessee must comply with the lease at all times. If the lessee does not comply with the lease, the freeholder may take action leading to forfeiture.

Most residential leases prohibit running a business from the property. Read the lease. Does it prohibit running a business?
    Last edited by Editor; 15-09-2009, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Yes I am a neighbour and lessee also.

I don't actually have a copy of the lease, so best arrange to get one,,not actually sure where to get it tho.

I did ask one of the Directors who is also a neighbour but she doesn't have one and didn't seem to know where to get one.

I'll try the Solicitor on Monday.

Thank-you for your reply.

bloomer

Comment

This thread has been split. Part is now separate, entitled "Neighbour (leaseholder) uses house for selling icecream/cars".
        See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=22253.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder failure to maintain
          by Catastrophiser2020
          What to do about a freeholder that doesn't maintain property?
          Unfortunately right to manage is not an option
          There is damage to my property due to FH failure to repair...
          22-01-2022, 20:36 PM
        • Reply to New Government proposals re leasehold reform
          by sgclacy
          As I said earlier if a property is burdened with a ground rent of £300 - £500 per annum and it rises by the RPI or doubles every 20//25 or 33 years how is that the stuff of nightmares ?

We are regarded in a world stage to have a very advanced legal system and as seen as a safe place to...
          22-01-2022, 20:15 PM
        • New Government proposals re leasehold reform
          by perigee
          I see that there are proposals to simplify the extension/enfranchisement procedures and reduce the costs for lessees, including abolishing marriage values. I appreciate that these are early days but is there any guidance from professionals acting for landlords - as distinct from lessees - on these...
          12-01-2022, 17:53 PM
          by Lawcruncher
          A lease is the grant of an estate in land. The estate granted is a "term of years", a label which describes what is in the tin. Virtually all leases have conditions attached or implied, but the conditions are not essential. A lease may for convenience be regarded as the combined grant of a...
          22-01-2022, 19:51 PM
        • Who can view CCTV?
          by Luverlyjuberly
          I'm having a problem with someone spitting in the communal areas of our block of flats. The person is the boyfriend of a tenant. She has already been spoken to about the incidents but I think it likely that he denied it was him or claimed it was a accident (as he had a nasty cold when the spitting...
          22-01-2022, 19:30 PM
        • Reply to Section 61 and my Landlords rights for an order of possesion
          by sgclacy
          In 55 years time, you may be faced with the possibility that the freehold is able to buy your flat at its market value.

You undertook that exercise in 2008 so if you were just 21 then this "problem" would concern you when you are 90 - if freeholder can satisfy the court about...
          22-01-2022, 15:26 PM
        • Section 61 and my Landlords rights for an order of possesion
          by andyg1
          Hi All

I wonder if anyone can set my mind to rest, i am the leaseholder of the flat in question . In 2008 i employed a firm of solicitors to extend my Lease . It was a 99 year lease granted in 1978 and it was eventually extended for an additional 90 years . During negotiations...
          20-01-2022, 16:35 PM
          by sgclacy
          It is the financial burden that the ground rent imposes on the property that needs to be valued correctly.

The consumer credit act sought to value one financial product with another, by having the APR quoted to assist the purchaser make an informed choice. My proposal would be that the...
          22-01-2022, 15:09 PM
        • Reply to Neighbour’s automatic garden watering system
          by Section20z
          Seriously ??? If it's really the neighbours water then just dig a couple of meter deep trench along the boundary and put a French drain it.
          £80k ? Someone's having a laugh with you...
          22-01-2022, 14:03 PM
        • Neighbour’s automatic garden watering system
          by Joubert
          I am the director of a freehold company which has a number of flats in a purpose built mansion block.

One of the lower ground flats has a serious damp issue which has been addressed several times over the years at considerable cost by the building. The damp is coming through the floor...
          18-01-2022, 10:03 AM
        Working...
        X