who is liable for repairs to rented garages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who is liable for repairs to rented garages

hello, i hope someone can help me. we have a number of garages and sheds on the estate which tenants and leaseholders can rent from the council. Given these attract a separate rental income and there are not enough garages for everyone to benefit from renting one even if they wanted to do all residents on the estate have to pay towards new roof, rewiring and repairs to these rented garages and sheds through their service charges?

Many thanks

Originally posted by raytay View Post
    hello, i hope someone can help me. we have a number of garages and sheds on the estate which tenants and leaseholders can rent from the council. Given these attract a separate rental income and there are not enough garages for everyone to benefit from renting one even if they wanted to do all residents on the estate have to pay towards new roof, rewiring and repairs to these rented garages and sheds through their service charges?

Many thanks
    You need to refer to the lease and advise us what it states before any meaningful replies can be given

Comment

Are the garages held on long-lease, though? Local authorities usually let them out on weekly/monthly Tenancy Agreements only.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I don't think it is long lease, people rent and pay a weekly rate charged monthly from what i can tell although some have had the garage for years. I asked about renting one and it was a payment collected monthly to rent. The one that was free was not in the car park near the flat, all those being in use already, and the cost was prohibitive for the amount of protection it would have afforded the car so i decided against in the end.

Comment

So the Council (as L) are probably liable for all repairs, unless:
          a. necessitated by T's own damage; or
          b. the Tenancy Agreement says otherwise.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X