Neighbour (leaseholder) uses house for selling icecream/cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbour (leaseholder) uses house for selling icecream/cars

Does anyone know the law on running a business from a leasehold property please.

The owner of the lease has a son who has moved in with his Mother. These properties are specifically for the over 55s...son in his 30s.

He has left his place of work with back problems and started a Computer business from the property.

There are a few other issues here but not for this thread.

The Mother moved in about 2 years ago, bringing 3 cats when animals aren't allowed!!

I am led to understand son is claiming benefits as is Mother plus she is also claiming the single occupancy council tax rebate.

Until recently this was a desirable area. Sadly like so many places its going downhill fast with people like this in our midst.

Bloomer

What is your involvement in this matter? Are you a lessee in the same block?

Sounds like the lease is being beached on multiple fronts. The lessee must comply with the lease at all times. If the lessee does not comply with the lease, the freeholder may take action leading to forfeiture.

Most residential leases prohibit running a business from the property. Read the lease. Does it prohibit running a business?

Comment

Yes I am a neighbour and lessee also.

I don't actually have a copy of the lease, so best arrange to get one,,not actually sure where to get it tho.

I did ask one of the Directors who is also a neighbour but she doesn't have one and didn't seem to know where to get one.

I'll try the Solicitor on Monday.

Thank-you for your reply.

bloomer

Comment

This thread has been split. Part is now separate, entitled "Leasehold flat; T's son running business from it".
        See [url]http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=22359.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
          by Santa Fe
          Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
          24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
        • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
          by eagle2
          Surely the point here is that 3 leaseholders have agreed that the freeholder may decide what is "fair and reasonable" and the 4 joint freeholders decide what is "fair and reasonable" (at least for 3 leaseholders) each time a service charge demand is issued.

A leaseholder...
          28-01-2022, 07:33 AM
        • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
          by SouthernDave
          Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
          i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
          25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
        • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
          by Section20z
          But it will make him liable for freeholders costs, which for a low value extension are often disproportionate.
          Always exhaust Iinformal negotiations first....
          28-01-2022, 06:57 AM
        • 2 misconceived court claims and last minute back down by landlord
          by Starlane
          Over the last few years the current directors have made simple mistakes and brought court claim after court claim against me causing me stress, distress and lots of wasted time and energy. I have tried to be reasonable call meetings to discuss and collaborate and still they carry on and NO I cant remove...
          27-01-2022, 18:30 PM
        • Reply to 2 misconceived court claims and last minute back down by landlord
          by eagle2
          Welcome to the world of leasehold property where incompetent directors (and others who should know better) can mismanage buildings and leaseholders suffer. You will probably find that the sinking fund was raided in order to finance their wrongful legal action and now they are trying to replenish that...
          28-01-2022, 06:48 AM
        • AGM cancelled.
          by Grumio
          Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
          26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
        • Reply to AGM cancelled.
          by eagle2
          It does not make any difference in as much as you should comply with the Articles and current legislation....
          28-01-2022, 06:23 AM
          by eagle2
          it is not unusual for a member to need to be nominated by another member and for that member to need to indicate his willingness to be a director if he is appointed, There may be time limits for notifying the Company. Depending on which version of model Articles apply, Article 76 says just that, In...
          28-01-2022, 06:20 AM
          by fos333
          A lot of the sections of CA1985 were superceded by CA2006.

Look at Table A along with your own company articles. Not all sections will be mentioned in your articles, but they still apply, unless your articles state they do not apply.

Past shareholders/members appointed as directors...
          28-01-2022, 00:11 AM
        Working...
        X