House split into flats; who's responsible to remedy noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House split into flats; who's responsible to remedy noise?

We own a leasehold for a downstairs flat. The freeholder owns the other flat in this building and lets it to a family. It was originally built as one house but was split into two flats in the 70s. Little or no work/improvements have been done over the years.

Our ceiling / the floor upstairs is in very thin (since it wasn't meant as a flat divider) and we can hear everything they do up there (including actually hearing them talk when they're in their kitchen which is above our bedroom). Our neighbours are not noisy youngsters - they are just leading a normal un-noisy life! - so it's not them that is the problem; it is the ceiling / floor.

We have contacted the freeholder about this issue. We offered to pay half for the improvement work (which would be done when the current tenants move out at the end of this month to avoid any delay of the re-letting of the flat). We are under the impression that it actually is the freeholder's responsibility to pay and do the work as we as leaseholders are entitled to the "quite environment" of our flat, but we still offered to pay half as it would just make everyone's life easier (we get a quiet environment and the freeholder gets an improved flat to let to someone).

The freeholder has now said that we have to pay for everything ourselves. We would actually be willing to pay for everything ourselves as it's just us who really suffers from this problem and we would be willing to pay for just getting rid of it. The thing is, the freeholder is a very difficult person to deal with (never responds when we try to contact her, refuses to send us the copy of the insurance policy we pay half for, doesn't want to repaint the house despite it being in desperate need, etc, etc), and she has despite several emails from us still not approved that we can do this work to the upstairs flat. We initially contacted the freeholder three months ago! She uses a managment agent, which makes it all even more difficult as we can't contact her directly. We are so frustrated with her lack of cooporation that we want to have some legal meat on our bones for our final email (basically saying: make this happen (but we'll pay) or else!).

So. Can anyone help us with our legal rights here?:
    - Does the freeholder have any responsibility to sort out the noise problem?
    - Does the freeholder have to pay for this or should it be split?
    - If the freeholder has no responsibility for the lack of noise isolation, is our only option to complain about the neighbours (and not the flat!) to the council?
    - Does the freeholder have a legal obligation to send us the copy of the insurance policy when we pay half of the insurance?

Thank you anyone who can help out!

1. Start with the lease covenants imposed on each lessee. Neighbour (N) is presumably in breach.
    2. Turn to L's covenants. Does L covenant to enforce all lessees' covenants?
    3. If so, you complain (formally and in writing) to L; it must enforce against N.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If you have already decided that you are going to pay, and the freeholder will let you do the work, why threaten anything?

I live in a flat with the same situation (i.e. my bedroom is under the kitchen of the flat above). If I had the opportunity to rectify it, even if it would cost a few thousand pounds, I would jump at the chance.

Although there may be a way of forcing the freeholder to pay, this is likely to be a drawn out process that will probably ruin any relationship you currently have.

Also, properly research how to stop the sound travel. You need to think about impact as well as airborne sound. Any reasonably priced solution will not fix your problem, but it should make it better.

Research it, do it once and do it right!

Comment

We really are happy to pay for it as long as we get a quieter flat. The problem is that the freeholder never gets back to us with the permission to go ahead. And we obviously can't do anything without her permission. So in order to "force" her to act (ie give us the permission since it's obviously a fantastic deal for her) we are trying to make her understand the seriousness in the situation of not getting back to us. Ie if she doesn't say "sure go ahead" we will have to take legal actions about noise pollution. Surely she'd rather just have us pay for it???

Comment

Ahh – I see your point.

I realise my opinion below is slightly off topic, but it may assist you:

The problem is, she could well perceive this ‘deal’ to be far from perfect. What work are you proposing? New rubber / foam underlay on the floor – to stop impact sound? New insulation between the joists – to stop airborne noise?

This takes time as well as money to install – and will be a hassle for her, not a benefit – she just will not be able to hear you snoring when making her toast in the mornings!

Make sure you know that the solution you are proposing will work as well as it can. In addition, tell her the cost and the time it will take for a professional to install. That way she has all the fact to hand rather than just responding with questions.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by sgclacy
            So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
            28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
          • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
            by bigalxyz
            There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
            28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
          • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
            by bigalxyz
            Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
            There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
            28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
            by bigalxyz
            Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
            28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
            by Macromia
            What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
            28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
          • Reply to Licenced Garage
            by Pariah81
            We have around 5 individual garages and another garage with 3 parking spaces (I refer to that as the communal garage). Each parking space in the communal garage is allocated to a specific flat.

Whilst the document tries to convey it is assigned on licence, from the case law I have read,...
            28-01-2022, 20:41 PM
          • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by Macromia
            If three out of four leaseholders, where all four share the freehold, stand together in opposition against the fourth, that is by definition the three 'ganging up' against the fourth. The fact that the same system may have been in use previously, and may even have been willingly accepted by previous...
            28-01-2022, 20:39 PM
          • 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
            by pt888
            A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
            28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
            by Gordon999
            You need to inspect the bathroom and determine the cause of water ingress to flat below . If there is a shower head , the water spray may fall into the gap between the bath and wall. If there is no shower spray, the pipes under the bath may be loose .??

If the bath user forgets...
            28-01-2022, 20:22 PM
          • Reply to Who owns loft space when it is not stated in lease.
            by Babyspice
            vagabond does ur lease state to whom has the roof been demised to? Who is responsible for insuring/repairing and rebuilding (in case of fire)?

i am currently progressing a loft conversion application with the FH, and even though my lease does not specifically mention the loft space, since...
            28-01-2022, 18:27 PM
          Working...
          X