Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing flat with short lease- 51yrs. unexpired

Hi

I'm thinking about putting in an offer on a flat as a buy to let. The asking price is £107,500 which is well below the market value, however the lease is just 51 years. The current owners (a bank as it's a repossession) have informed the estate agents that it would cost me £17,500 to extend the lease to 99 years, plus £450 (+vat) legal costs. I'm happy with these figures.

I'm a bit confused though as I thought you needed to be the owner of a property for 2 years before you could extend a lease.

Also, if I can extend the lease at the time of purchase, can the costs be incorporated into my mortgage?

thanks in anticipation

hannah

1. The Bank's figure might or might not be accurate. Only L can decide if it's accepatable on sale of lease extension. Ask Bank how it arrived at that figure- it's own guess (or valuation) or decided by L?
    2. You need your own surveyor/valuer to advise you independently, too.
    3. Yes, the normal 'qualification' period is two years- but L may be willin to extend lease sooner.
    4. Are you to finance both purchases by mortgage advance? Your mortgagee might well not accept the 51-yr. lease as a satisfactory security.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I am in a similar position if anyone can help please!

Hello - I am in the latter stages of purchasing a flat in London for £165,000 with a 71 year lease. We should have exchanged contracts nearly 2 months ago but I have been waiting to hear how much a lease extension would be, as 71yrs is very low.

The freeholder has asked for £15,000 to extend the lease to 125 years.

I think this is high but it is only their first offer so may be deliberately high. My solicitor says my next step is to pay a surveyor to do a valuation on the property. This may cost, let's say, £200. But as Abbey the mortgage lenders did their own valuation, could they not simply re-value the property for me (with the lease extension) which would not cost anything?

What does the surveyor do that the Abbey valuation person can't?

But what happens once I have the new valuation?
      Does a surveyor then see through the whole process and negotiate with the freeholder?
      And how much could it all cost?!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comment

The answer (if your V has owned for at least two years) is that:
        a. V serves Notice of Claim on L, under s.42 of 1993 Act;
        b. in contract of sale, V is expressly made obliged to assign to you- on purchase completion- the Notice of Claim's benefit, by a separate Deed of Assignment;
        c. on completion, V does so;
        d. you then take-over V's rights to extend lease; and
        e. you (or your sol.) can thereafter serves on L:
        i. the usual Notice of Transfer (existing lease); plus
        ii. Notice of Assignment of the Notice of Claim's benefit.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by hannah11 View Post
          Hi

I'm thinking about putting in an offer on a flat as a buy to let. The asking price is £107,500 which is well below the market value, however the lease is just 51 years. The current owners (a bank as it's a repossession) have informed the estate agents that it would cost me £17,500 to extend the lease to 99 years, plus £450 (+vat) legal costs. I'm happy with these figures.

I'm a bit confused though as I thought you needed to be the owner of a property for 2 years before you could extend a lease.

Also, if I can extend the lease at the time of purchase, can the costs be incorporated into my mortgage?

thanks in anticipation
          hannah
          Assuming the ground rent is next to nothing I would suggest that if the property was outside london around £20k would be the premium for a 90year ext ie new 141 year lease with a peppercorn and nearer £25,000 in London. So the figures seem reasonable even allowing for the fact you get a 99 year lease asopposed to a 141 year lease.

However the problem is that the property is a repossession so it is highly unlikely that the current lessee is around to make the claim under Section 42. Thereofre you will have to negotiate outside of the Act . As you state you will have to wait 2 years before becoming eligible to make a statutory claim

Comment

Originally posted by Spud View Post
            Hello - I am in the latter stages of purchasing a flat in London for £165,000 with a 71 year lease. We should have exchanged contracts nearly 2 months ago but I have been waiting to hear how much a lease extension would be, as 71yrs is very low.

The freeholder has asked for £15,000 to extend the lease to 125 years.

I think this is high but it is only their first offer so may be deliberately high. My solicitor says my next step is to pay a surveyor to do a valuation on the property. This may cost, let's say, £200. But as Abbey the mortgage lenders did their own valuation, could they not simply re-value the property for me (with the lease extension) which would not cost anything?

What does the surveyor do that the Abbey valuation person can't?

But what happens once I have the new valuation?
            Does a surveyor then see through the whole process and negotiate with the freeholder?
            And how much could it all cost?!

Any help greatly appreciated!
            With regard to the premium based on the info provided I would estimate the premium to be around £10,000 for a new 161 year lease at a peppercorn.

A surveyor who values your property for mortgage purposes will not necessarily have the specilist knowledge for a lease extentsion. Although the formula and principals are in my opinion are not as complex as some would have you believe. You will need to instruct a seperate surveyor to help you. I am assuming in all this that teh current lessee will make teh Section 42 claim and assign it to you

Comment

Originally posted by sgclacy View Post
              A surveyor who values your property for mortgage purposes will not necessarily have the specilist knowledge for a lease extension.
              I agree. Distinguish between:
              a. valuer (mortgagee's only); and
              b. Chartered Surveyor (graduate, qualified, professional, under proper supervisory body's discipline, wth excellent indemnity insurance, and owing a duty to you only).

Comment

Thank you very much Jeffery and Sgclacy for your advice.
                I have phoned a chartered surveyor who says I should get a Desktop Valuation which will tell me what a fair price for the lease extension is. Then, as you say, I should get the current vendor to serve notice (I assume this is the Section 42 claim you talk about).
                The Desktop Valuation will cost £195+vat but in the long run it has to be worth it

Comment

Originally posted by Spud View Post
                  Thank you very much JeffREy and Sgclacy for your advice.
                  I have phoned a chartered surveyor who says I should get a Desktop Valuation which will tell me what a fair price for the lease extension is. Then, as you say, I should get the current vendor to serve notice (I assume this is the Section 42 claim you talk about).
                  The Desktop Valuation will cost £195+vat but in the long run it has to be worth it
                  Yes, the Notice of Claim is under s.42 of the 1993 Act.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                    by pt888
                    A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
                    28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
                  • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                    by L4NDLORD
                    If you have a solicitor ask him to download a copy of the lease from HM Land Registry, it will inform you of the rent payable etc. Costs about three quid, plus your solicitors time (ten minutes!)
                    29-01-2022, 00:57 AM
                  • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                    by L4NDLORD
                    The city will probably insist you served notice and that they obtain a valuation for which you will almost certainly have to pay. Even so with 87 years unexpired its still not going to cost very much, a few thousand pounds. The solution to your question is to ask the seller to serve the notice on the...
                    29-01-2022, 00:56 AM
                  • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                    by L4NDLORD
                    it is quite true that the professionals unnecessarily make a meal of this type of work. One of the planks of my submission to Professor Hophins was that the landlord's costs should be limited to 500 pounds. I also suggested that relativity be standardised nationally (accepting that there would be winners...
                    29-01-2022, 00:51 AM
                  • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                    by SouthernDave
                    Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
                    i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
                    25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
                  • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                    by sgclacy
                    So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
                    28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
                  • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                    by bigalxyz
                    Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
                    There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
                    28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
                  • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                    by bigalxyz
                    There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
                    28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
                    by bigalxyz
                    Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
                    28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
                    by Macromia
                    What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
                    28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
                  Working...
                  X