Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collective enfranchisement valuation?

Dear All,

Please can you provide advice on how to value the freehold of our property. The freehold is currently held by another, we are 1 of 3 leaseholders in the building

The average flat price is £450K

The ground rent is £250 per annum per flat

The leases are all between 99-105yrs

We believe there to be unreleased development potential within the property, although these areas areas are currently not demised to any of the 3 flats. The potential extensions are as follows (many similar extensions are present on the neigbouring properties).

1- Demise of front garden to ground floor flat would enable a front light well to be created. Excavation to the exisiting cellar space would create new habitable space at basement level. The cost of these works would be approx £100K, the added value to the property £180K, yielding a devlopment profit of £80k

2- Demise of the roof space to the top floor flat would enable a loft conversion. This would cost approx £50K to build, add £150K to the value of the top floor flat, yielding a development profit of £100K

How do we value the cost of the freehold? Are there any other factors which come in to play? How can we minimise the cost of the freehold?

Many Thanks

Bea

You can download a publication of freehold enfranchisement from
    www.lease-advice.org

Comment

Thanks Gordon, although that website does not provide much informaiton on how the development potential should be accounted for when valuing the freehold - can anyone advise?

Many thanks.

Comment

Development value which involeves having to make use of an existing lessees property is considered to be "hope vlaue" and is valued very lowly

Development which could take place without having to make use of an existing lessees property is valuable and will effect the value of the freehold

Comment

Many thanks sgclacy, this is good news as the potential does not exist without use of existing lessees properties.

When you say it is valued lowly, can you give any indication based on the above figures of how much the freehold would be worth?

Just to add to the above, the property is located in London.

I have tried to calculate this myself based on other posts in this forum, but without the table to calclate the years purchase I do not think it is possible.

Comment

The freehold value may well be of the order of:-

1) Capitilisation of the rent at 7.5% = £10,000

2) Value of the reversion of say £1,350,000 in say 102 years at 5% = 9,300

3) Hope value say £5k to £10k

Total value of the freehold £25 to £30k

Points 1 & 2 very confident to within £1500 either way

Point 3 you may pay that just to get rid of the problem, if you went to the LVT they may value it lower but then there are the costs

Comment

Thank you very very much sgclacy!

Comment

the Times ( December 17 2008 ) had a report headed " Landlords not entitled to hope value element " which was a decisionfrom the Cardogan v. Sporteilli Appeals.

You need to search for report ( speech by Lord Hoffman and others on 10 Dec 2008).

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                  the Times ( December 17 2008 ) had a report headed " Landlords not entitled to hope value element " which was a decisionfrom the Cardogan v. Sporteilli Appeals.

You need to search for report ( speech by Lord Hoffman and others on 10 Dec 2008).
                  The hope value is to deal with the possibilty of lease extentsion from non participators. The hope value of a lessee coming forward in the future to seek a variation is different and does apply although the amount is very modest

Comment

Here's a link to the LZ 'Sportelli' thread: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ight=sportelli
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by sgclacy View Post
                      The freehold value may well be of the order of:-

1) Capitilisation of the rent at 7.5% = £10,000

2) Value of the reversion of say £1,350,000 in say 102 years at 5% = 9,300

sgclacy - can you please explain: -

1.why these calculations do not take into account future date values (i.e. after escaltor rent increases or inflation)?

2. why the discount percentage for ground rent is 7.5% (I assume the 5% for the reversion value is per "Sportelli")

Many thanks in anticipation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to collective enfranchisement
                        by flyingfreehold
                        at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
                        21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
                      • collective enfranchisement
                        by flyingfreehold
                        Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
                        21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
                      • Reply to Building works & S20 process
                        by scot22
                        It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
                        21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
                      • Building works & S20 process
                        by RichA
                        Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
                        21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
                      • Reply to collective enfranchisement
                        by Tipper
                        Ask lease-advice.org
                        21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
                      • Reply to Levy
                        by scot22
                        Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
                        21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
                      • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                        by Macromia
                        They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
                        21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
                      • Changes to lease wording
                        by bigalxyz
                        In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
                        14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
                      • Reply to Changes to lease wording
                        by Lawcruncher
                        If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
                        21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
                      • Reply to Levy
                        by Macromia
                        ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
                        21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
                      Working...
                      X