Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I move forward on this?

Comment

A letter should be sent to L, from either you or your solicitor, explaining to him what I've explained to you.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you Jeffrey, I'll send a letter out today to him.

Comment

Did the previous freeholder confirm in writing you were fully paid up as of that date?

Comment

Hi Domonic
            We have nothing from the previous freeholder to say that we are fully paid up. (we thought he might sell the freehold at some point, but he didn't tell us that he had) I have my service charge demand from sept 08, and I sent chq's to cover the full amount of the demand. Which is why we presume we are covered until the end sept 09, is this not necassarily the case?

Comment

The reason for asking whether you had fully paid stems from s.45(2) of the Law of Property Act 1925, as below. A clear (= unqualified) receipt for rent connotes that there are no subsisting breaches of covenant. Service charge is often explicitly stated to be reserved 'as rent'.

Where land sold is held by lease (other than an under-lease), the purchaser shall assume, unless the contrary appears, that the lease was duly granted; and, on production of the receipt for the last payment due for rent under the lease before the date of actual completion of the purchase, he shall assume, unless the contrary appears, that all the covenants and provisions of the lease have been duly performed and observed up to the date of actual completion of the purchase.
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

I'm sorry, I don't understand. What does this mean in laymans terms?
                Should I see if the previous freeholder will issue me a receipt to say I'm fully paid, or does this mean that it automatically assumes that all leasees are fully paid up, unless it is stated by the old freeholder?

Comment

An unconditional rent receipt issued by L impliedly confirms that T has kept all leasehold covenants. It protects a purchaser from later problems.

Comment

Also, if your lease was granted after 1 January 1996, s.23 of the Landlord and Tenant (Covenants) Act 1995 may help you.

For all LL's demands for service charges which relate to any period prior to the date of assignment of the reversion to the new LL (i.e. the date when the new LL became your LL) - you as lessee are not liable to the new LL but instead the old LL.

Comment

Originally posted by wellsbourne View Post
                      Jeffrey
                      This is what I don't understand either. there really is nothing more to it!! honest!

We paid the previous freeholder a years service charge in advance including b.insurance in sept 08. so we assumed no more demands until sept 09.
                      But the new freeholder has put in a demand for 1 years worth of buildings insurance now, (well, the demand came through in late June, I've been questioning him about this ever since) plus a quartley service charge payment for 01/07-30/09 which also includes within it a payment for buildings insurance. I'm then presuming come the 01/10 we'll all recieve another demand for a quartley payment.
                      It feels like he's trying to store up money for next years buildings insurance.

It's driving us mad! he won't let us see the accounts this service charge is based on either, despite being asked 4 times (in letters) as he says there isn't any, to which I've asked him why there is a £100 cost for an audit in the service charge!
                      You are legally entitled to view the accounts and the paperwork (quite clearly something must exist) they can charge you a fee for copying etc but nothing to actually view the documents, I believe its an offence to not allow you, although i think the difficulty lies in what to do next if the landlord doesnt allow you to inspect them or just ignores you.

Request to inspect supporting 22 accounts &c
                      This section applies where a tenant, or the secretary of a recognised tenants’ association, has
                      obtained such a summary as is referred to in section 21(1) (summary of relevant costs),
                      whether in pursuance of that section or otherwise.
                      (1)
                      The tenant, or the secretary with the consent of the tenant, may within six months of obtaining
                      the summary require the landlord in writing to afford him reasonable facilities—
                      (2)
                      for inspecting the accounts, receipts and other documents supporting the summary,
                      and
                      (a)
                      (b) for taking copies or extracts from them.
                      (3) A request under this section is duly served on the landlord if it is served on—
                      (a) an agent of the landlord named as such in the rent book or similar document, or
                      (b) the person who receives the rent of behalf of the landlord;
                      The landlord shall make such facilities available to the tenant or secretary for a period of two
                      months beginning not later than one month after the request is made.
                      (4)
                      [F1(5) The landlord shall—
                      where such facilities are for the inspection of any documents, make them so available
                      free of charge;
                      (a)
                      where such facilities are for the taking of copies or extracts, be entitled to make them
                      so available on payment of such reasonable charge as he may determine.
                      (b)
                      The requirement imposed on the landlord by subsection (5)(a) to make any facilities available
                      to a person free of charge shall not be construed as precluding the landlord from treating as
                      part of his costs of management
                      Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                        by sgclacy
                        So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
                        28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
                      • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                        by bigalxyz
                        There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
                        28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
                      • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                        by bigalxyz
                        Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
                        There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
                        28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
                        by bigalxyz
                        Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
                        28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
                        by Macromia
                        What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
                        28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
                      • Reply to Licenced Garage
                        by Pariah81
                        We have around 5 individual garages and another garage with 3 parking spaces (I refer to that as the communal garage). Each parking space in the communal garage is allocated to a specific flat.

Whilst the document tries to convey it is assigned on licence, from the case law I have read,...
                        28-01-2022, 20:41 PM
                      • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                        by Macromia
                        If three out of four leaseholders, where all four share the freehold, stand together in opposition against the fourth, that is by definition the three 'ganging up' against the fourth. The fact that the same system may have been in use previously, and may even have been willingly accepted by previous...
                        28-01-2022, 20:39 PM
                      • 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                        by pt888
                        A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
                        28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
                        by Gordon999
                        You need to inspect the bathroom and determine the cause of water ingress to flat below . If there is a shower head , the water spray may fall into the gap between the bath and wall. If there is no shower spray, the pipes under the bath may be loose .??

If the bath user forgets...
                        28-01-2022, 20:22 PM
                      • Who owns loft space when it is not stated in lease.
                        by vagabond
                        Hi, I own a top floor maisonette and share the freehold 50/50 with the ground floor maisonette. I would like to build a loft conversion and after checking my lease I'm unsure who the loft space belongs to. All I can see in my lease is "the right for the lessor/owner/occupier of lower maisonette...
                        21-01-2022, 14:45 PM
                      Working...
                      X