New freeholder: wrongly over-collecting service charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New freeholder: wrongly over-collecting service charge

My block of flats has a new freeholder that is demanding service charge payments.
    All the flats have paid up in full to the previous freeholder until the end of september 09, but the new freeholder is insisting that we all start paying to him from the start of July 09, even though he's had all the proof to show we are all paid up.
    The previous freeholder left the accounts a little messy, as he hadn't been collecting reserve fund money from us, so as far as we are concerned, this is the only outstanding amount, which the new freeholder has decided not to collect this owed money.
    But he is looking for double payments on the buildings insurance, 1 years worth in advance to be paid now, and then 1/4 payments, with oct being the first payment.
    The lease states that the accounts should be made up at the end of January, which the previous freeholder didn't stick to, and it appears this freeholder doesn't want to either.
    My question is can he demand money now if we all feel that we're paid up until the end of september? and how can we make him do the accounts at the proper time?
    Is there anything I can put in a letter to him to stop him from harrassing me for money?
    Any responses are much apreciated.

Originally posted by wellsbourne View Post
    My block of flats has a new freeholder that is demanding service charge payments.
    All the flats have paid up in full to the previous freeholder until the end of september 09, but the new freeholder is insisting that we all start paying to him from the start of July 09, even though he's had all the proof to show we are all paid up.
    The previous freeholder left the accounts a little messy, as he hadn't been collecting reserve fund money from us, so as far as we are concerned, this is the only outstanding amount, which the new freeholder has decided not to collect this owed money.
    But he is looking for double payments on the buildings insurance, 1 years worth in advance to be paid now, and then 1/4 payments, with oct being the first payment.
    The lease states that the accounts should be made up at the end of January, which the previous freeholder didn't stick to, and it appears this freeholder doesn't want to either.
    My question is can he demand money now if we all feel that we're paid up until the end of september? and how can we make him do the accounts at the proper time?
    Is there anything I can put in a letter to him to stop him from harrassing me for money?
    Any responses are much apreciated.
    It looks like the answers to most of your questions should be within your lease, for example, does it oblige payment of service charges in advance ?

Andy
    Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Hi Andy
      I'm not sure? we've always paid the full years worth of service charge in advance. The lease does mention interim payments, do you know what that means?

Comment

I'm not sure? we've always paid the full years worth of service charge in advance. The lease does mention interim payments, do you know what that means?
        Interim payments are made on account (and in advance) of the current year's outgoings. After the year ends, they are adjusted:
        a. upwards, if there was an under-collection; or
        b. [more rarely!] downwards, if there was an over-collection.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi Andy
          As Jeffrey pointed out interim does indeed mean in advance, my landlord demanded interim payments too but on closer inspection the lease didnt oblige it, which in effect has meant that about 10 years of threats of foifeture not to mention admin charges and interest are all invalid.

Does your lease mention a reserve fund too ?

Andy
          Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

The lease does mention a reserve fund. Which I am happy to pay into.
            The first freeholder never collected anything into it, and the new freeholder wants to build up the reserve, but does not want any back dated payments from any of us.
            Could you clear something up for me about the interim payments please?
            If we've paid the full service charge in advance of the year, are we then obligued to pay quartly payments as well during the year, or should the full payment be all that's required for the year?
            thanks

Comment

You never have to pay more than 100% of the amount properly due and demanded. Why would L want:
              a. 100% in advance; PLUS
              b. quarterly payments too?
              Is there more to this than meets the eye?
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

just having a look at the lease it says:

"'interim service charge instalment' means a quartley payment on account of the final service charge which is £112.50 until the landlord gives the tenant the first service charge statement (mentioned below) and after that is a quarter of the final service charge on the latest service charge statement"

this confuses me, and further down the lease it says:

"on each day on which rent is due under this lease the tenant is to pay to the landlord an interium service charge instalment"

-which also confuses me!

(there are 4 properties that this lease applies to)

Comment

The £112.50 is presumably a first year estimate only.

Comment

Jeffrey
                    This is what I don't understand either. there really is nothing more to it!! honest!

We paid the previous freeholder a years service charge in advance including b.insurance in sept 08. so we assumed no more demands until sept 09.
                    But the new freeholder has put in a demand for 1 years worth of buildings insurance now, (well, the demand came through in late June, I've been questioning him about this ever since) plus a quartley service charge payment for 01/07-30/09 which also includes within it a payment for buildings insurance. I'm then presuming come the 01/10 we'll all recieve another demand for a quartley payment.
                    It feels like he's trying to store up money for next years buildings insurance.

It's driving us mad! he won't let us see the accounts this service charge is based on either, despite being asked 4 times (in letters) as he says there isn't any, to which I've asked him why there is a £100 cost for an audit in the service charge!

Comment

The £112.50 1st year thing makes sense.
                      I think he thinks that that cost is a continual quartley cost and we should still be paying it now, rather than basing it on true costs.
                      I honestly don't beleive he knows what he's doing, and has perhaps taken on more than he can deal with, and so, is trying to claw back money from the leases!

Comment

The £112.50 1st year thing makes sense.
                        I think he thinks that that cost is a continual quartley cost and we should still be paying it now, rather than basing it on true costs.
                        I honestly don't beleive he knows what he's doing, and has perhaps taken on more than he can deal with, and so, is trying to claw back money from the leases!
                        No, I think that- after year1- the £112.50 is irrelevant.

Comment

"'interim service charge instalment' means a quartley payment on account of the final service charge which is £112.50 until the landlord gives the tenant the first service charge statement (mentioned below) and after that is a quarter of the final service charge on the latest service charge statement"
                          Attempted re-write by guesswork:
                          1. In Year1, the service charge shall be £112.50 as an estimate.
                          2. In Year2, the service charge shall be a quarter of Year2's estimated service provision costs subject to an adjustment for Year1 to reflect any over-collection or under-collection by reference to the £112.50 demanded and payable in Year1 as against Year1's actual service provision costs.
                          3. In Year3, the service charge shall be a quarter of Year3's estimated service provision costs subject to an adjustment for Year2 to reflect any over-collection or under-collection by reference to the amount demanded and payable in Year2 as against Year2's actual service provision costs.

Comment

thank you for your help on this Jeffrey.
                            I have another letter to write to him yet again explaining why I'm not paying his july-sept service charge. Hopefully this breakdown will clear things up, but I'm not going to hold my breath! I just need something definitive to get him of my back about this service charge. It's been almost 2 months since we originally received the demand, and I'd like to put this to rest fairly so I'm not waiting on another letter from him.
                            -Incidently, we have offered him a quarter payment at the start of Oct, to cover the oct-jan period, which will take him up to the proper service charge due date (31st jan). we thought this fair, but he's ignored the offer of this money. The b.insurance is also due in sept, which I have offered to pay my full years proportion to him then for this, again, this offer has been ignored.
                            what can I do, I feel like I'm being reasonable, or am I not?

Comment

Yes, you are; but there is still not a meeting of minds over:
                              a. what the clause means; and
                              b. how it's supposed to work.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                                by pt888
                                A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
                                28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
                              • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                                by L4NDLORD
                                If you have a solicitor ask him to download a copy of the lease from HM Land Registry, it will inform you of the rent payable etc. Costs about three quid, plus your solicitors time (ten minutes!)
                                29-01-2022, 00:57 AM
                              • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                                by L4NDLORD
                                The city will probably insist you served notice and that they obtain a valuation for which you will almost certainly have to pay. Even so with 87 years unexpired its still not going to cost very much, a few thousand pounds. The solution to your question is to ask the seller to serve the notice on the...
                                29-01-2022, 00:56 AM
                              • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                                by SouthernDave
                                Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
                                i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
                                25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
                              • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                                by L4NDLORD
                                it is quite true that the professionals unnecessarily make a meal of this type of work. One of the planks of my submission to Professor Hophins was that the landlord's costs should be limited to 500 pounds. I also suggested that relativity be standardised nationally (accepting that there would be winners...
                                29-01-2022, 00:51 AM
                              • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                                by sgclacy
                                So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
                                28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
                              • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                                by bigalxyz
                                Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
                                There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
                                28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
                              • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                                by bigalxyz
                                There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
                                28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
                                by bigalxyz
                                Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
                                28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
                                by Macromia
                                What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
                                28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
                              Working...
                              X