Ground rent - is it profit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thevaliant View Post
    2. Service charge income and expenditure is NOT taxable, EXCEPT the interest earned on the service charge account IS, split amongst the leaseholders. This goes on their self assessed tax return.
    Again, no. Technically, and only so far as I recall:
    a. service charge is an income deriving from land; and
    b. it therefore should be seen as profit and so taxable (= the old "Schedule A"); but
    c. taxpayer company can of course offset against it all allowable outgoings (cost of providing the services); so
    d. by extra-statutory concession, HMRC will not levy tax provided that there is no element of profit in the level of service charge demanded and collected from the leaseholders served by it.

Yes, bank interest accruing (on money held by co., whether re ground rent or service charge) is taxable, though.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      No. A private company limited by guarantee and not formed as a trading entity is prohibited (by law, its Memorandum of Incorporation, or both) from declaring dividends to its guarantor members.
      Ture but (and we are getting far too technical):
      1. Not all RTE companies are limited by guarantee AND
      2. Even if no dividend were declared, the income is still taxable income for the company, which doesn't remove the need to file a CT return and pay tax on that profit. Indeed, dividend back to yourself (if limited by shares) would incur FURTHER tax if the lessee/member was a higher rate tax payer!
      3. If no dividends could be declared, how does this income get back to the members? (Yes, you can use it to pay 'salaries' I suppose, but that's more tax and more fun).

I suppose what I'm trying to drive at is the farcical setup an RTE company can place a person in (like me) if you play it by the book:

I am employed. I pay tax at the basic rate. All my income is under PAYE. I receive no interest on savings because I have no savings (and even if I did, I'm still a basic rate payer, so it would be swept up automatically by the bank). Therefore, I don't have any administrative tax burden on me. Then I bought a flat with a RTE company as landlord. Suddenly I go from being a PAYE employee with no need to file in a tax return to:
      1. Having to do so for the service charge earned interest that *I* pay in AND
      2. Having to complete CT600 forms for the ground rent the RTE company 'earns from it's sub tenants AKA the landlords?'.

Comment

Again, no. Technically, and only so far as I recall:
        a. service charge is an income deriving from land; and
        b. it therefore should be seen as profit and so taxable (= the old "Schedule A"); but
        c. taxpayer company can of course offset against it all allowable outgoings (cost of providing the services); so
        d. by extra-statutory concession, HMRC will not levy tax provided that there is no element of profit in the level of service charge demanded and collected from the leaseholders served by it.

Yes, bank interest accruing (on money held by co., whether re ground rent or service charge) is taxable, though.
        Agree completely with the above. I did mean the bank interest earned is taxable, not the service charge income itself. Sorry.

Comment

further two queries

I am self-employed, so do I put the "dividend" income on my own tax return as well even though the Freehold company has already paid the tax on it?

Finally, will our Freehold Company need to file a Corporation Tax Return?
          What is Corporation Tax?

Pearls

Comment

Originally posted by Pearls View Post
            I am self-employed, so do I put the "dividend" income on my own tax return as well even though the Freehold company has already paid the tax on it?

Finally, will our Freehold Company need to file a Corporation Tax Return?
            What is Corporation Tax?
            Deep down, you don't really want to play it by the book. But this depends on how much is a 'small' profit (from Post #1):

The COMPANY has made a profit, of the ground rent collected. Let us say it is £1 per year. You have seventeen flats, and ten shareholders.

Company Income - £17
            Corporation tax return to complete - Form CT600 - Download it from:
            http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ctsa/ct600-short-2007.pdf

Tax to pay @ 21% (small companies rate) = £3.57

Balance remaining: £13.43
            Dividend to ten members = £1.34 each (THIS IS WHAT YOU PAY YOURSELF) (now, there is an associated tax credit given... 10%- Various forms from Company need to be completed and passed to members) - Figure grossed up by 10% to £1.47.
            Put THAT £1.47 on your PERSONAL self assessment tax return and pay tax at 32.5% (net impact is 25%, but HMRC can't *SAY* that, it'd put us accountants out of a job - why make life simple, when it can be made HARD!).

Tax to pay personally therefore £0.48.

So let's put this in perspective:
            Lessees pay in £17 for ground rent.
            HMRC take £3.57 for Corporation Tax AND
            £4.80 for Dividend tax (though this may vary depending on tax banding of 'shareholders' - might be £nil)

Balance left to TEN members who paid in £10 = £8.63
            You actually LOSE money!

This is why I have realised owning a lease on a flat where f/r is held by members management company is actually perverse. You end up paying government for privalege of living in a flat which would not be true if you owned a house.

Comment

Originally posted by thevaliant View Post
              This is why I have realised owning a lease on a flat where f/r is held by members management company is actually perverse. You end up paying government for privalege of living in a flat which would not be true if you owned a house.
              Not if the rent is a peppercorn. Al it takes is one Deed per flat, which can usefully also increase term length and tidy-up covenants.
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Not if the rent is a peppercorn. Al it takes is one Deed per flat, which can usefully also increase term length and tidy-up covenants.
                Agreed! Though I doubt my fellow lessees even know about our problem and certainly none would be willing to pay a solicitor to draw up this deed. £1 per year for seven flats. I take the risk... I don't tell the Revenue! -Prison for me

Comment

But it's worth the cost of new (replcement) leases if:
                  a. the terms ned extending anyway; or
                  b. the covenants need updating (esp. so as to oblige L to enforce lessees' covenants).
                  As the freehold reversipon is effectively owned by only ten of the seventeen flats' leaseholders, the dissident seven would have to pay a premium for leasehold extensions- which would alleviate the unpopularity of the legal fees- and the f/r co. would not pay any fees itself as all lessees participating would pay equal shares of the global costs.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                    by L4NDLORD
                    If you have a solicitor ask him to download a copy of the lease from HM Land Registry, it will inform you of the rent payable etc. Costs about three quid, plus your solicitors time (ten minutes!)
                    29-01-2022, 00:57 AM
                  • 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                    by pt888
                    A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
                    28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
                  • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                    by L4NDLORD
                    The city will probably insist you served notice and that they obtain a valuation for which you will almost certainly have to pay. Even so with 87 years unexpired its still not going to cost very much, a few thousand pounds. The solution to your question is to ask the seller to serve the notice on the...
                    29-01-2022, 00:56 AM
                  • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                    by SouthernDave
                    Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
                    i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
                    25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
                  • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                    by L4NDLORD
                    it is quite true that the professionals unnecessarily make a meal of this type of work. One of the planks of my submission to Professor Hophins was that the landlord's costs should be limited to 500 pounds. I also suggested that relativity be standardised nationally (accepting that there would be winners...
                    29-01-2022, 00:51 AM
                  • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                    by sgclacy
                    So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
                    28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
                  • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                    by bigalxyz
                    There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
                    28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
                  • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                    by bigalxyz
                    Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
                    There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
                    28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
                    by bigalxyz
                    Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
                    28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
                    by Macromia
                    What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
                    28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
                  Working...
                  X