Injunction advice needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injunction advice needed please

Hello this is my first post on this forum.

My wife and I have a big problem as follows

We live in a mortgaged flat with 992 year lease and share of freehold. I bought the place about 11 years ago, met my wife about 8 years ago and she has lived here since then. The flat is worth around £200,000

There is a mangement company (set up as a limited company, but is essentially a residents association) it comprises one chairman and 4 directors and that really is the problem.

We have had major problems with the chairman (since about 2003) and and very recently one of the directors. Most are old guys who are either retired or unemployed. They are very cliquey. The chairman is not married and has no children.

The chairman started off by sending a forfeiture of lease notice back in 2003 due to our supposed noise. He had to apologize when we proved we weren't even in the country when the noise was reported.

Since then the same chairman has dumped filthy rubbish from the bin area outside our front door (as well as other families) on many occasions whenever he feels like it.

He has even thrown our pram as well as our neighbour's into the bin area which he knows full well has rat poison laid down.

What really annoys him is anyone who has children. We have a 4 year old who is very well behaved. He goes out of his way to antagonize anyone with children in the complex. He constantly makes up false accusations about people to try and essentially turn the place into an old folk's home with no kids to be seen. I also feel but can't prove he has racist tendencies, my wife is black and all his victims appear to be non white

We have reported him to the the general management company who collect our service charges and they have said they will speak to him. We have also called the local community police and they have paid him a visit on more than one occasion.

The matters came to a head recently when another director's teenage children came around and were kicking a ball at our window, my wife confronted them and was suffered a torrent of vile obscene abuse. We told them to get away from our property only to have them come back later stating they had the chairman's approval. My wife sent a strongly worded email the same to the director to sort this out or we would call the main police (we then called the community police officer again) These teenagers have been intimidating all the children in the area that we know of. We feel the chairman approves their behaviour.

The strange thing is the that the community police officer informed us a few days ago he spoke to the Director and chairman the day after the incident and they said they had no problems at all with my wife

My wife received a solicitor's letter some days after the incident stating she had libeled the director and chairman in the email. We politely responded and stated there was no libel and that they had harassed us.

About a week later I received another solicitor's letter stating that from the previous letter my wife had continually harassed the directors and other residents and that the management company are now seriously considering forfeiting our lease. This is a complete lie as my wife had no contact with any of the directors in any way and gets on well with all our neighbours.

We contacted an online injunction company and got them to send an LBA letter to both the chairman and director asking them to retract this lie and essentially keep away from our property (100 yards). They both live some about 200 and 300 yards from our flat.

They haven't responded to our LBAs within the 14 days and we will now get the local court to grant the injunction, we will also be asking for costs.

The question is who should we make the defendants ? Should we go after the directors as individuals or the management company as they the letters they sent to us, appear that they are acting on behalf of the company. We have plenty of witnesses and many neighbours who want to appear on our behalf at court.

Sorry about the long description.

I think you are best speaking to a solicitor. Your question isn't related to leasehold matters at all, you have a good grasp of that already.

Your question actually relates to libel, harrasment and technicalities of directors duties under the Companies Act, something I doubt the board has massive experience with.

I would suggest solicitor experienced in all the above would be a better start.

Comment

How many flats in the block ? if the other flat owners are willing to support you, you could change the chairman. If not, then better to sell and move away .

Comment

Hi there are 51 flats and all bar 2 has one share in the freehold. We are unfortunately not in a position to move right now, when we move we want to move to a three bed house (at least) in the area . The starter price round here for a 3 bed is about £300,000. The truth is this chairman is about 90 at least. It is hard to believe someone at that age could cause so much distress. I am starting to think he may be even going senile.

However he exceeded himself today - my wife and I had to chase after our son today leaving our front door open. When we got back a few minutes later we noticed a typical leaflet was left by him in our hallway in such a way that he had to come right into our property. We saw him shortly
        afterwards leering through our back window leaflets in hand. We have called the police again on him and they advised they will pay him a visit.

The other problem director is unemployed but drives a brand new SAAB Aero with personalised number plates. He has informed some of the neighbours he is on benefit - eventhough his wife works. I can't believe we have this type of scum as directors.

From speaking to our neighbours who have been harassed they have all one thing in common they have children - something he loathes. They have advised they would to testify in court. I believe we could get the landlords together but this will take time and some effort as the landlords work through letting agents. We are currently reading up to see if we can issue the injunction against a private LTD company that obviously we are part of.

Comment

The alternative way is:

1. Section 303 of the Companies Act 2006
          You require 10% of votes (so 6 flats or more) to call an EGM.
          Propose the removal of the existing directors and to propose new ones to run the block (YES, you do need to volunteer to do this!)

The existing directors have 21 days to convene the meeting. IF THEY DO NOT, then you may do so on authority of the members. You MUST give 21 days clear notice (either side - ie day of EGM and day sending out notice do not count - so 23 days really!) as it involves removal of directors.

You can get flat owners details, at £3 per flat, from land registry online.
          Failing that, as a member(!) you are allowed to inspect the company records, which should include names and addresses of all other members (Flat owners). The company CANNOT charge you, nor refuse you, this privelege though it may charge for photocopying if you want to copy the name (take pad and paper).

Comment

Thank you all for your helpful advice- much appreciated...

Comment

Originally posted by thevaliant View Post
              You can get flat owners details, at £3 per flat, from land registry online.
              HMLR online copies are now at least £4, as from July. It's more if you want copies of documents or 'hard' (not downloaded) copy entries.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                by pt888
                A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
                28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
              • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                by L4NDLORD
                If you have a solicitor ask him to download a copy of the lease from HM Land Registry, it will inform you of the rent payable etc. Costs about three quid, plus your solicitors time (ten minutes!)
                29-01-2022, 00:57 AM
              • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                by L4NDLORD
                The city will probably insist you served notice and that they obtain a valuation for which you will almost certainly have to pay. Even so with 87 years unexpired its still not going to cost very much, a few thousand pounds. The solution to your question is to ask the seller to serve the notice on the...
                29-01-2022, 00:56 AM
              • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                by SouthernDave
                Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
                i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
                25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
              • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                by L4NDLORD
                it is quite true that the professionals unnecessarily make a meal of this type of work. One of the planks of my submission to Professor Hophins was that the landlord's costs should be limited to 500 pounds. I also suggested that relativity be standardised nationally (accepting that there would be winners...
                29-01-2022, 00:51 AM
              • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                by sgclacy
                So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
                28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
              • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                by bigalxyz
                Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
                There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
                28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
              • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                by bigalxyz
                There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
                28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
                by bigalxyz
                Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
                28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
                by Macromia
                What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
                28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
              Working...
              X