Enfranchising underleasehold house (one reversioner missing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enfranchising underleasehold house (one reversioner missing)

My house is leasehold with over 900 years left on its sublease. The freehold and leasehold are owned by 2 different companies and cover over 70 houses (located my street and the next). I pay a ground rent of £2.75 (twice yearly).

I am currently planning on buying both reversions on my property. I first thought of doing so 2 years ago, but due to personal issues had to but it on hold until now. I have recently requested a quote from both the freeholder and the leaseholder - for the leasehold reversion via the leaseholder's agent. The freeholder came back with a quote of £550 (inclusive of their costs and I would just have to pay for the title to transferred into my name). I got their quote after just a week. However, one and a half months later I still have received no reply from the leaseholder - their agent says the leaseholder lives out of the country and they've passed on the request.

My questions (for which I'd be very grateful for any answers to) are: -

1) Does £550 seem abit pricey as I thought a more reasonable value would be £425-£450?

2) They say they'll prepare the legal documentation and send it out for my signature (One of my neighbours has done it this way). Are there any pitfalls in doing it through their solicitors? I mean does it really matter as long as the freehold ends up in my name?

3) If I only bought the freehold and not the leasehold,
    (i) Am I still legally bounded by any leasehold covenants?
    (ii) Would the leasehold on my property become worthless to the leasehold reversioner?

1. Don't know, but you should be looking at a single (tripartite) transaction to acquire both reversions in one go.
    2. No, you really should instruct your own solicitor in a messy case like this.
    3. Acquiring one reversion only is pointless. You remain a leaseholder, the covenants remain in operation, and you pay two lots of HMLR fees.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Jeffrey thanks for your comments. Responding to your answers: -

1. I thought a price of £425 - £450 for the freehold is reasonable based on a price of (10 - 20) * £5.50 on the yearly ground rent and £300+ covering their costs.

2. Is this a messy situation due to slow/lack of response from leaseholder or for the fact of acquiring both reversions?

3. I remain a leaseholder even though I acquire the freehold?
      If I Own the freehold then who could enforce any covenants?

Comment

1. Yes.
        2. Messy due to potential for conflict of interest and the split of reversions.
        3. If you (as underlessee) buy ONLY the freehold reversion, the intermediate leasehold reversioner (X) can still enforce underlease covenants against you. X would remain lessor of the underlease. That's why you need to acquire both reverions.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Jeffrey, thanks for the clarification.

I have now made an offer to both parties so will wait afew weeks for a response before I proceed - sent offer direct to Leaseholder cos not sure their agent is informing them of my interest in buying their reversion on my house.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by sgclacy
            So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
            28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
          • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
            by bigalxyz
            There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
            28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
          • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
            by bigalxyz
            Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
            There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
            28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
            by bigalxyz
            Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
            28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
            by Macromia
            What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
            28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
          • Reply to Licenced Garage
            by Pariah81
            We have around 5 individual garages and another garage with 3 parking spaces (I refer to that as the communal garage). Each parking space in the communal garage is allocated to a specific flat.

Whilst the document tries to convey it is assigned on licence, from the case law I have read,...
            28-01-2022, 20:41 PM
          • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by Macromia
            If three out of four leaseholders, where all four share the freehold, stand together in opposition against the fourth, that is by definition the three 'ganging up' against the fourth. The fact that the same system may have been in use previously, and may even have been willingly accepted by previous...
            28-01-2022, 20:39 PM
          • 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
            by pt888
            A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
            28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
            by Gordon999
            You need to inspect the bathroom and determine the cause of water ingress to flat below . If there is a shower head , the water spray may fall into the gap between the bath and wall. If there is no shower spray, the pipes under the bath may be loose .??

If the bath user forgets...
            28-01-2022, 20:22 PM
          • Reply to Who owns loft space when it is not stated in lease.
            by Babyspice
            vagabond does ur lease state to whom has the roof been demised to? Who is responsible for insuring/repairing and rebuilding (in case of fire)?

i am currently progressing a loft conversion application with the FH, and even though my lease does not specifically mention the loft space, since...
            28-01-2022, 18:27 PM
          Working...
          X