Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Rent demands- s.166 of 2002 Act- Shenstone

Hi all,

The company who i pay my ground rent to forgot to send me a bill last year and to be honest, i never noticed (probably due to the fact that i had a baby last year and had more pressing matters!). For whatever reasons, they never chased it.
    I received a bill off them a few weeks ago for two years worth of rent. I sent them a cheque straight away. I have just received a letter off them saying that the payment was received outside the time scale and that they had sent me a warning letter (i never received it). They say they started action to recover the debt and costs have been occured. The costs are not a huge amount, but thats not really the point to me.
    They say at the bottom of the letter "For your information, our administration and recovery costs are allowed for in Section 146 (3&5) of thr Law or Property Act".
    I have tried to do a bit of research into this, but to no avail. Is this correct? I have not received any kind of letters from their Solicitors or debt companies etc. It appears it has simply been passed to the debt recovery team of the same company. Is this enough for them to chanrge me admin costs?
    I am keen to ring them on Monday and play merry hell as i have never received any other letter from them and it appears it has taken them over a year to realise i had not paid last years rent! But i would like to be able to at the very least sound like i know what im talking about.
    Any help would be greatfully received. If im in the wrong, please do tell me and i'll bite the bullet and pay it.

CPM ( previously part of Erinaceous ) used to play this trick of using a debt collector for unpaid service charges.

Simarc is another company that failed send out ground rent demands and then later will slap a huge fee for recovery charges.

Whats the name of your managing agent and freeholder company ?

Comment

Shenstone Properties

Comment

Originally posted by frankie3520 View Post
        Shenstone Properties
        Unless the ground rent demand folowed the format specified in s.166 of the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002, and all dates in it (and its date of service) complied with that sectiont, the demand is VOID.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Many thanks Jeffrey. Is there a particular part i should be looking at or is it generally the whole thing? Im currently looking at this page:

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/legResu...=1&SortAlpha=0

Comment

Besides s.166 itself, there's also a prescribed form of Notice: see SI 2004, no. 3096: http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/legResu...=1&SortAlpha=0
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Ok, i have checked and it appears they have complied so far as the correct info on the form is concerned. The only thing i have noticed is that they have quoted "Landlord and Tennant Act 1987". Not sure if this is the right date because everything im looking at from your attachments is from the 2004 act.

Comment

The prescribed Notice under the Commonhold & Leasehold Reform Act 2002 commence in Feb 2005 , so what kind of demands did you get for 2005 and 2006 and 2007 ?

This Notice starting from Feb 2005 was introduced to stop dishonest managing agents claiming extortionate recovery charges for deliberately creating rent arrears situations by not sending out demands

Have you always used the same address for receiving ground rent demands in 2005-2007 ? If so I think you could confirm the ground rent for last year was never posted to you.

Comment

i can see your point gordon, but they arent charging me the admin charge for last years rent being late. They are saying that the cheque i sent them covering the last two years rent was received out of date (ie, more than 28 days after they billed me this year).

Either they are lying and have been holding onto my cheque on purpose, or the cheque was lost in the post for some time and reached them after the 28 day limit. Either way, they have added on an admin charge saying that because the chq was received late, they have had to commence action to recover the costs. I cannot see what they have done, other than pass it to a female who deals with debts (who works for the same company) and she has sent out 1 further letter, which i have never received. There is no way i can ever prove they never sent that letter out. I suspect they will either say that i am lying and did actually receive it, or it was lost in the post (!).

I think my only argument can be is to ask how on earth they can justify the admin charges for one letter, because it appears they have not got solicitors involved in any way.

Comment

After a blazing row with the company this morning, they wont budge.
                    Is it right that they dont actually have to send any reminders for rent out? That it is our responsibility to pay the rent even without a letter saying it is due and how much it is?
                    I am so livid at the way this woman has just spoken to me - right from the moment she picked up the phone she was abusive, sarcastic and downright rude!

Comment

Re-read s.166 (and it's the 2002 Act, not any 2004 Act nor the 1987 Act, that's relevant). No, you need not pay any ground rent at all unless and until a demand in accordance with s.166 is sent to you.

Comment

Absent freeholder turns up out of the blue

and demands seven years worth of ground rent. However there are repairs required to the exterior of the house which is common to several flats (gutter/drainpipe etc). Am I right to withhold payment until the repairs are carried out. Cheers

Comment

Maximum arrears claim (if suing) is six years: see Limitation Act 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by sammy cook View Post
                            and demands seven years worth of ground rent. However there are repairs required to the exterior of the house which is common to several flats (gutter/drainpipe etc). Am I right to withhold payment until the repairs are carried out. Cheers
                            Ground rent is due and payable for BEING a leaseholder. Non-payment exposes you to forfeiture and often the mortgage lender would prefer to pay and charge everything to your account. Don't withhold ground rent.

Repairs to building is a separate issue and comes under service charge administration and depends on what your lease wording says. Service charge demand is a matter you can refuse to pay and raise the problem before the LVT.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                              Ground rent is due and payable for BEING a leaseholder. Non-payment exposes you to forfeiture and often the mortgage lender would prefer to pay and charge everything to your account. Don't withhold ground rent.

Repairs to building is a separate issue and comes under service charge administration and depends on what your lease wording says. Service charge demand is a matter you can refuse to pay and raise the problem before the LVT.
                              I believe I'm correct in adding that forfeiture cant be considered unless the amount owing is more than £350 or is more than 3 years in arrears.

I agree with 'dont withhold it', unlike service charges it cant be questioned or challanged, although personally I find myself in the position of being overcharged ground rent for 14 years !

Andy
                              Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S146 manipulation
                                by eagle2
                                The story is not unusual, although there may be variants to the theme. It could become worse, the leaseholder could apply to the FTT, the agent and solicitors would rack up further costs and as you would expect the FTT is likely to decide that the costs are unreasonable. Unfortunately the FTT does...
                                14-08-2022, 05:08 AM
                              • S146 manipulation
                                by Granger
                                Interested to get thoughts on this issue.
                                Managing Agent A has ties to solicitor B. Block Company C has a flat owner D who was in arrears of, say, £1500.
                                A advises C that D must be taken to court. B runs up costs of say £8000 preparing case and in anticipation of S146 follow through....
                                13-08-2022, 15:25 PM
                                by eagle2
                                The SRA is unlikely to assist
                                14-08-2022, 04:56 AM
                              • Reply to Freehold shared parking question
                                by Neeeeeeeeeek10
                                Hi, many thanks for looking at this, it's much appreciated. The wording is exactly as in the deeds, "To use forecourt for access for parking not more than one vehicle there on" is exactly as written. It's a 100 year plus building which was converted in the sixtys? Maybe? Not sure if that helps!...
                                13-08-2022, 19:13 PM
                              • Freehold shared parking question
                                by Neeeeeeeeeek10
                                We have bought a freehold flat which is one of the few flats in the building that has parking permission in the deeds. There are only a few spaces so it isn't allocated and only the flats that have it in the deeds can park in them. The person who owns the freehold to the shared areas and I assume the...
                                08-08-2022, 17:51 PM
                              • Buying freehold from absent foreign freeholder
                                by Dan350
                                We live in a small block of flats where all the leases have about 90 years left to run. All the leaseholders now want to join together to buy the freehold, but this is difficult because it is owned by a foreign company. The latter’s UK lawyer died a few years ago, and no one has been appointed to...
                                12-08-2022, 16:44 PM
                              • Reply to Buying freehold from absent foreign freeholder
                                by Dan350
                                Ok many thanks, that will be much easier to accomplish!...
                                13-08-2022, 17:19 PM
                                by AndrewDod
                                If a freeholder incurs costs that a court does not say are recoverable from D, nor are they recoverable under the lease, then FH bears those costs out of their own pocket, or claims them from the "crook" (D). No reason other lessees should pay.

FTT would not be the first port...
                                13-08-2022, 16:49 PM
                                by Gordon999
                                C should make a complaint against B to the SRA ( Solicitors Regulation Authority )....
                                13-08-2022, 16:37 PM
                              • Reply to Buying freehold from absent foreign freeholder
                                by Gordon999
                                I was suggesting placing the ad for 3 weeks in the local newspaper of town , where the property is located. I was not suggesting placing an ad in a foreign country....
                                13-08-2022, 16:25 PM
                              Working...
                              X