For what is Management Company responsible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what is Management Company responsible?

Hi

I dont know if this is the right place to post but here goes:

I own a flat which is tenanted. The flat is not in the main block but in the grounds, standing on its own, it used to be a steam house or something and now converted. I pay maintenance charges of about £70 a month which includes life maintenance, cleaning, and electricity of the main block, which obviously isnt used by my tenant. I have recently recieved complaints from the tenant that the flat is cold and therefore had it surveyed to find I needed it cavity filled, loft isulation and main door double glazing. I have gone through heat project and got it all costed. My question is, would the management company not be responsilbe for the block insulation and external doors, therefore should they not also be responsible for the inslation of this flat?

Regards

I own a few flats in similar circumstances. There should be an official document regarding the management company's obligations regarding the upkeep of the flats, as by paying a fee each month you have entered into a contract with them. This document is usually given to you when you purchase the flat, if you don't seem to have it amongst your purchase documents (ie provided by your solicitor at the time) then ask the management company for a copy. You need to know exactly what you are paying for!
    The document is usually quite specific, eg mine details how often the building should be painted, woodwork be painted, windows cleaned. garden upkeep etc. There is no correct 'general opinion' or point of law which will cover your query - you are paying for a specific service, the details of which will be documented somewhere......the trick is getting hold of the paperwork and making sense of the clauses which relate to your particular problem. Be warned - often management companies have an obligation to 'maintain' but not to 'improve' - this may be where you come unstuck.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
      by Flashback1966
      I am a Freeholder. Have a flat there too. I have received an email from the leaseholder's soclitors acting for Mr A. They are doing a 2-1 transfer from the names of Mr A and Ms B to just Mr.

The solicitors want to know the requirements on completion.

Is is just a notice of...
      26-05-2022, 18:46 PM
    • Reply to 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
      by AndrewDod
      On what exact basis is the "fee" - what does lease say? Since you are doing it yourself, if a fee is allowed, would have thought "reasonable" might be about £5 for 10 minutes
      26-05-2022, 21:34 PM
    • Reply to Section 20
      by Anna1985
      Macromia , yes part of driveway demised to LL and part not demised to anyone.

According to lease the LL should his part to keep and maintain the said area edged bla in a neat and tidy condition and further to keep and maintain the fences belonging thereto in a good state of repair....
      26-05-2022, 20:46 PM
    • Section 20
      by Anna1985
      So the lease allows for the property to be kept in good condition.
      Thus, the shared hall could be spruced up no problem, but there is an issue with driveway - partially it belongs to the freeholder, partially to the ground floor leaseholder - it is made out of the old paving stones, it looks...
      22-05-2022, 21:03 PM
      by sgclacy
      In addition to the notices sometime the lease may require a deed of covenant and therefore you may need to prepare a deed of Covenant

If there are any arrears these must be settled on completion...
      26-05-2022, 20:27 PM
      by Lawcruncher
      What does the lease say?

You do not need confirmation from Mrs B.
      26-05-2022, 20:27 PM
    • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
      by Flashback1966
      The other flats are demanding I pay 38% of costs to extend leases when the freehold itself, a very comparable legal procedure, was calculated on an equal third share.

Confused. Did you extend the lease or buy the Frehold?

In my opinion, if the Freehold was purchased, it should...
      26-05-2022, 17:49 PM
    • Share of feehold/shared service charges?
      by Stu1020
      Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
      20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
    • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
      by Gordon999
      If the review is just between 2 flats, calling a meeting with upstairs leaseholder , to review quotations and decide which one to accept will be quicker than waiting for 30 days. With inflation around 10% p.a , the parties at the meeting could choose to accept a quotation at 2.5% higher than a...
      26-05-2022, 14:20 PM
    • Old managing agents accounts
      by jazzythumper
      Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
      20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
    Working...
    X