My garages are demised to adjoining house- sue lessees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is fun by the way

Comment

Originally posted by dominic View Post
      “dwelling” means a building or part of a building occupied or intended to be occupied as a separate dwelling together with any yard, garden, outhouses and appurtenances belonging to it or usually enjoyed with it;

My emphasis added.
      I agree. "Dwelling" means either a building or part-building, with or without appurtenances. However, this pre-supposes that T has a lease of dwelling with garage. He doesn't, here- only a lease of garage. No matter what you say, a garage isn't a dwelling.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Where in the LTA 1985 or elsewhere is this pre-supposition?

Comment

Where in the LTA 1985 or elsewhere is this pre-supposition?
          It follows from logic.
          Let A = residence and B = appurtenaces.
          Dwelling = A together with any B.
          So dwelling can be:
          i. A on its own; or
          ii. A + B.
          Dwelling cannot be B on its own.
          Proof: what if A (residence) were to be freehold? Where then stands your argument?
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

What about this logic:

18. Meaning of “service charge” and “relevant costs”.

(1) In the following provisions of this Act “service charge” means an amount payable by a tenant of a dwelling as part of or in addition to the rent:
            (a) which is payable, directly or indirectly, for services, repairs, maintenance or insurance or the landlord’s costs of management, and
            (b) the whole or part of which varies or may vary according to the relevant costs.

So the test is:

a. Is the house together with the garage a dwelling under the LTA 1985?(there is no requirement in the definition that these have to be under the same title, or indeed that if more than one title, all titles must be a leasehold interest. The garage simply has to "belong to the house" or be "usually enjoyed by it"). Yes

b. Is there a service charge payable in realtion to that dwelling? Yes

c. Is that service charge payable by a tenant of that dwelling? Yes.
            Last edited by dominic; 09-07-2009, 14:37 PM. Reason: for sense.

Comment

What about this logic:

18. Meaning of “service charge” and “relevant costs”.

(1) In the following provisions of this Act “service charge” means an amount payable by a tenant of a dwelling as part of or in addition to the rent:
              (a) which is payable, directly or indirectly, for services, repairs, maintenance or insurance or the landlord’s costs of management, and
              (b) the whole or part of which varies or may vary according to the relevant costs.

So the test is:

a. Is the house together with the garage a dwelling under the LTA 1985?(there is no requirement in the definition that these have to be under the same title, or indeed that if more than one title, all titles must be a leasehold interest. The garage simply has to "belong to the house" or be "usually enjoyed by it"). Yes

b. Is there a service charge payable in realtion to that dwelling? Yes

c. Is that service charge payable by a tenant of that dwelling? Yes.
              Jeffrey - you're right. Point c does not pass.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                by pt888
                A property recently came back onto the market for the reason being that the previous buyer was unable to lend money from his bank due to the lease only having 87 years remaining, the estate agent therefore said that going forward only cash-buyers would be considered. Out of those cash buyers i was selected....
                28-01-2022, 20:38 PM
              • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                by L4NDLORD
                If you have a solicitor ask him to download a copy of the lease from HM Land Registry, it will inform you of the rent payable etc. Costs about three quid, plus your solicitors time (ten minutes!)
                29-01-2022, 00:57 AM
              • Reply to 87 Years left on Lease - Cant buy freehold until 2 years?
                by L4NDLORD
                The city will probably insist you served notice and that they obtain a valuation for which you will almost certainly have to pay. Even so with 87 years unexpired its still not going to cost very much, a few thousand pounds. The solution to your question is to ask the seller to serve the notice on the...
                29-01-2022, 00:56 AM
              • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                by L4NDLORD
                it is quite true that the professionals unnecessarily make a meal of this type of work. One of the planks of my submission to Professor Hophins was that the landlord's costs should be limited to 500 pounds. I also suggested that relativity be standardised nationally (accepting that there would be winners...
                29-01-2022, 00:51 AM
              • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                by SouthernDave
                Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
                i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
                25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
              • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
                by sgclacy
                So the new lessee who wishes to challenge the proportion would have seen BEFORE he purchased the flat what percentage he was to pay - the unfairness of the bargain was patently clear BEFORE he purchased and may we’ll have been reflected in the price paid for the flat. So notwithstanding all of that...
                28-01-2022, 22:45 PM
              • Reply to Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                by bigalxyz
                There's no single cause - there have been multiple leaks - each time a different cause. Blocked bath overflow, leaking washing machine hose, leaking toilet cistern inlet, failed balloon valve in toilet, shower screen not fitted properly...all kinds of things. Just general neglect. Owner's never there,...
                28-01-2022, 22:32 PM
              • Water Leaks Again and Again and Again...
                by bigalxyz
                Director of RMC - 11 flats in London
                There seems to be a long standing problem with the plumbing in the bathroom of one of the flats. 4 water leaks in the last 18 months, causing damage to the flat below.

Is there anything the RMC can do to compel the leaseholder of the problem flat...
                28-01-2022, 16:05 PM
                by bigalxyz
                Thank you.

I plan to leaf through the lease at the weekend - there may well be clauses along the lines that you suggest (it does ring a bell). Also I do know that there's a clause along the lines of "leaseholders mustn't do anything to mess up the insurance of the building, and are...
                28-01-2022, 22:30 PM
                by Macromia
                What it says in the lease is mostly what you have to rely on. I would be looking for any clauses that the flat needs to be kept in a good state of repair, and in particular anything that mentions keeping the pipes that serve the flat in a good state of repair and replaced when necessary and anything...
                28-01-2022, 20:53 PM
              Working...
              X