Can lessee buy-into f/r like the other lessees did?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can lessee buy-into f/r like the other lessees did?

pleeese can you help me.
    some years ago a number of residents (most) bought the collective freehold,
    from the builder. I think they paid about 3 0r 5000.00 at that time each.
    Its two large blocks.
    If they are prepared to sell me a share how much might it cost, where could
    I find this out.
    Is this likley to be less than extending my 74 yr lease, which I understand could cost me about 8-10000
    thank you kindly
    oh, and please does anyone know how long it might take if they agree?

Have you spoken to your freeholder? Is the freehold owned by a management company? Simply politely ask if you can buy in to their company (or write a letter) and gauge their response.

Comment

Buying-in to the f/r company should cost the same (approx.) as a simple lease extension. The latter is necessary, come what may.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

thank you Poppy,
        there is a very nice 80 year old resident who is the most experienced owner/
        director of the freehold, and there are two newer resident directors.
        The freehold is owned by the majority of residents, and the directors have appointed a managment company. The rest of the owners are still leashold
        The nice 80year old man said that he doesent know enough about it to give me permission or a price, and the managing agent said its not up to him its up to the directors.
        I will take your advice and write to the directors to ask, but I think they
        only meet four times a year! and I need to know now.
        thanx again

Comment

Originally posted by cindy View Post
          The freehold is owned by the majority of residents, and the directors have appointed a managment company. The rest of the owners are still leasehold.
          Not quite. All the flats remain leasehold in the hands of individual owners. They (or a majority of them) also collectively own the entire f/r.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

thanx jeffrey your advice is appreciated

Comment

ahhh THE PENNY HAS JUST DROPPERD, i THINK...

so if they allow me to I could buy a share of the freehold company, but my
              flat still remains leasehold and they extend my lease at the same time,
              otherwise if they didnt sell me a share, they would have to extend my lease for a cost, but both things costing about the same, I imagine the former
              would be the better way if I can do it?

thanx

Comment

Originally posted by cindy View Post
                ahhh THE PENNY HAS JUST DROPPERD, i THINK...

so if they allow me to I could buy a share of the freehold company, but my
                flat still remains leasehold and they extend my lease at the same time,
                otherwise if they didnt sell me a share, they would have to extend my lease for a cost, but both things costing about the same, I imagine the former
                would be the better way if I can do it?
                Yes. It's better to be a joint f/r owner (i.e. a member of the company collectively owned) so that you have more input into decision-making (as such) to accompany the shared responsibility of funding the service charge expense (as lessee).

Comment

Jeffrey and Poppy

Thank you soooo much for your kind and free help, this all came at a difficult time for me. I am very, very greatful

I am hoping to sell and I just rung my solicitor who said he can run the lease
                  extention alongside the sale, so now hopfully no reason for anyone to be put off by my 74 years unexpired, nor do I have to find the imiidiate cash well prior to sale,

thanx againxx

Comment

If you had said from the outset you were considering selling, my answer would have been different.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                      by Flatman78
                      Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
                      Thanks for taking time to reply though....
                      23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
                    • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                      by Flatman78
                      Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
                      with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
                      23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
                    • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                      by Flatman78
                      Thanks Macromia, I'm hoping not to have to request quotes to include extra 'contingency' as I know some building materials literally jumped by up to 80% pretty much overnight and so I / we could end up paying a hell of a lot more than we have to go with a 'protective' quote.

It's only me...
                      23-05-2022, 20:27 PM
                    • RTM Hand Over Issues
                      by martin15
                      RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
                      Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
                      23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
                    • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
                      by ash72
                      You could sue the other company for the money owed.
                      23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
                    • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
                      by Hudson01
                      I am clearly no expert but i think this statement from the all knowing WWW appears to fit the bill for what has happened to you.................

'' Fraud can be broadly defined as the deliberate use of deception or dishonesty to disadvantage or cause loss (usually financial) to another...
                      23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
                    • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                      by Gordon999
                      You could show the last service charge demanded by previous managing agent . There should be a final summary of the service charge account.to show the unspent funds.
                      23-05-2022, 18:26 PM
                    • Old managing agents accounts
                      by jazzythumper
                      Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                      20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
                    • Reply to Building works & S20 process
                      by Macromia
                      Good questions.
                      The fact that the cost of work means that Section 20 consultation is required doesn't necessarily mean that it is major work that will require a project manager and, although most leases will contain clauses that allow the cost of project management to be recovered from leaseholders,...
                      23-05-2022, 18:23 PM
                    • Building works & S20 process
                      by RichA
                      Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
                      21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
                    Working...
                    X