Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease extension- letter of consent from F's mortgagee

Hello everyone!

I was hoping for a word of advice about the process of extending a lease when the freeholder owns the freehold under the encumbrance of a mortgage. If I understand it correctly, the freeholder's lender needs to provide a letter of consent which confirms that they (the lender) agree to the extension.

My question then is this: when do we need to receive the letter of consent? Do we need to get this letter of consent before we sign the Deed of Variation and transfer the premium to the freeholder's solicitor? Alternatively, is it acceptable practice to sign and pay (taking the word of the freeholder's solicitor that the lender's letter of consent will be provided later, along with the Deed)?

Huge thanks for your advice!

Cam

Freeholder's solicitor could give undertaking to provide consent from mortgagee. Solicitor's undertakings are easily enforceable with the threat of SRA action, so no solicitor would give one unless he is certain that he can carry it out.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Thank you!

What a wonderfully clear answer. Thank you!

Cam

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Webster View Post
        Freeholder's solicitor could give undertaking to provide consent from mortgagee. Solicitor's undertakings are easily enforceable with the threat of SRA action, so no solicitor would give one unless he is certain that he can carry it out.
        But is OP using a solicitor at all? If F's solicitor gives an undertaking, only another solicitor can enforce it.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Surely if a solicitor gave a private individual an undertaking then that individual could still complain to the SRA about non-compliance and they would be in touch with the recalcitrant solicitor pretty quickly wouldn't they?
          RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Webster View Post
            Surely if a solicitor gave a private individual an undertaking then that individual could still complain to the SRA about non-compliance and they would be in touch with the recalcitrant solicitor pretty quickly wouldn't they?
            Yes. I have re-read rules 1.05 and 24 in the Code of Conduct 2007; these bear-out what you say.
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Actually, as leaseholders, we don't plan to use a solicitor in this case. Your discussion immediately above thus gives us extra comfort that we can have some faith in the assurances provided (in writing) by the Freeholder's solicitor.

Again, many thanks!

Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camngnp223 View Post
                Actually, as leaseholders, we don't plan to use a solicitor in this case. Your discussion immediately above thus gives us extra comfort that we can have some faith in the assurances provided (in writing) by the Freeholder's solicitor.

Again, many thanks!

Cam
                I'd recommend you to use a solicitor in a complex case like this. V's solicitor is acting in the interests of V only and has no duty to you as P.

Comment

I'd recommend you to use a solicitor in a complex case like this. V's solicitor is acting in the interests of V only and has no duty to you as P.
                  I agree.

Freeholders' solicitor often try to slip a few extra nasty clauses in when doing a lease extension so you need someone to check this kind of thing and advise you on it.
                  RICHARD WEBSTER

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                    by eagle2
                    I suggest that you apply to or take action against the freeholder directly, the agent is only acting on behalf of the freeholder. If you think that the freeholder is likely to supply information, you can ask him to volunteer it otherwise you will apply to the Tribunal. If he is unlikely to volunteer...
                    26-05-2022, 05:38 AM
                  • Old managing agents accounts
                    by jazzythumper
                    Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                    20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
                    by jazzythumper
                    would this be a good starting point?

https://www.lease-advice.org/faq/how...eing-used-for/...
                    25-05-2022, 15:37 PM
                    by jazzythumper
                    As in a simple application to the old managing agent Or freeholder? Which one?

To provide all accounts and payments based on the fact that we disagree with the charges? How far back can we go? And does having paid the service charges mean we have agreed to these?

Thanks for...
                    25-05-2022, 15:31 PM
                  • Reply to Freehold confusion
                    by Section20z
                    It's never advisable , it can cause serious issues if you have a claim affecting communal areas. For buildings insurance the whole property should be covered and the cost split between the two flats.
                    The only problem with an absent freeholder is that when selling the flat a pernickity solicitor...
                    25-05-2022, 10:02 AM
                  • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                    by Stu1020
                    eagle2,

Thank you for the response.
                    25-05-2022, 09:40 AM
                  • Reply to Freehold confusion
                    by AndrewDod
                    There is no cast iron rule that the freehold "share" has to be transferred with any sale. You may need to purchase it from the friend (or his estate)....
                    25-05-2022, 09:22 AM
                  • Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                    by Stu1020
                    Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
                    20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
                  • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                    by eagle2
                    I suggest that you ask the other 2 leaseholders to explain why they consider that the current allocation is fair. The freeholder has the right to review the allocation from time to time. Unfortunately, a "fair proportion" means that several alternatives would be considered reasonable to a...
                    25-05-2022, 06:27 AM
                  • RTM Hand Over Issues
                    by martin15
                    RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
                    Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
                    23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
                  Working...
                  X