X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian_R View Post
    In these days of MPs’ expenses coming out in the open, I think you should disclose what each person is paying. My property management company deliberately attempted to overcharge me 20% of the service charge due for my first year. I actually paid that sum, but then checked account statements from previous years showing what each flat paid and that 15% was due for my flat.

Said management only backed down when confronted with this evidence and the threat of legal action for attempting to claim back 105% of service charges.
    Don't confuse:
    a. what % and £ should be paid per flat (irrelevant as long as total = 100%); and
    b. what £ has actually been paid by each flat.

Leave a comment:

• Ian_R
    replied
    Be open!

In these days of MPs’ expenses coming out in the open, I think you should disclose what each person is paying. My property management company deliberately attempted to overcharge me 20% of the service charge due for my first year. I actually paid that sum, but then checked account statements from previous years showing what each flat paid and that 15% was due for my flat.

Said management only backed down when confronted with this evidence and the threat of legal action for attempting to claim back 105% of service charges.

Leave a comment:

• andydd
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric7 View Post
    Hi Jeff or any other experts

Very basic question regarding the service charge. How do i dispute it, if it is way too high?

I have had a breakdown of the service charge fees for one of my apartments. It is an extortionate £2.70 per sq.ft. the average for the area is below £2.

How do i legally qery this?
    You should start your own thread with this query.

I would of thought that the calculation is within the lease which you agreed to when you bought the property and can't be changed.

You can challange excessive and unreasonable service charges but only the costs that make them up not how your individual share is calculated.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Eric7
    replied
    Hi Jeff or any other experts

Very basic question regarding the service charge. How do i dispute it, if it is way too high?

I have had a breakdown of the service charge fees for one of my apartments. It is an extortionate £2.70 per sq.ft. the average for the area is below £2.

How do i legally qery this?

Leave a comment:

• gins twin
    replied
    Originally posted by thevaliant View Post
    My feeling would be that each persons contribution is defined by their lease, which is NOT a public document (I think maybe you can get from Land Registry but this won't show you the value, merely the calculation).

I agree - Don't disclose ONLY disclose debtors at the year end if unpaid.

That's what I do and haven't had any complaints.
    Each individuals contribution is definitely defined in each persons lease.

I am certain its just a delay tactic. I am not prepared to release the numbers and have suggested if the resident would like to know that they email each resident individually and ask them!

Leave a comment:

• thevaliant
    replied
    My feeling would be that each persons contribution is defined by their lease, which is NOT a public document (I think maybe you can get from Land Registry but this won't show you the value, merely the calculation).

I agree - Don't disclose ONLY disclose debtors at the year end if unpaid.

That's what I do and haven't had any complaints.

Leave a comment:

• sgclacy
    replied
    As the charges are a debt on the property as opposed to a oersnal debt would it be a breach of the data protection act? Can any member shed light on this

Leave a comment:

• gins twin
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    After all, will the non-payer be happy about your company disclosing who he is (in the 'Debtors' part of the published Accounts)?

Funnily enough it almost came to that last year. But fortunately it was avoided as the resident finally paid. We would have had to disclose it in the accounts as the "debtor" is also a shareholder and therefore we are duty bound to disclose.

Oh the joys of managing a management co to save me and my fellow residents a few thousand pounds p.a !!

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by gins twin View Post
    The accounts are audited annually and definitely total 100 %.

Its so difficult when one runs a management co as well as being neighbours.

I appreciate the speedy reply , thanks very much.
    After all, will the non-payer be happy about your company disclosing who he is (in the 'Debtors' part of the published Accounts)?

Leave a comment:

• gins twin
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    If the Accounts are audited, and if all due contributions total 100%, the non-payer has no grounds of objection. Do not disclose.
    The accounts are audited annually and definitely total 100 %.

Its so difficult when one runs a management co as well as being neighbours.

I appreciate the speedy reply , thanks very much.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    If the Accounts are audited, and if all due contributions total 100%, the non-payer has no grounds of objection. Do not disclose.

Leave a comment:

• gins twin
    started a topic Disclosing residents service charges

Disclosing residents service charges

Hi

I and a small group of fellow residents manage our estate. it consists of 30 properties in total in approx 30 acres. Some are leasehold some are freehold but all contribute to the runnig costs of the estate.

The majority of properties pay differing service charges due to the costs being calculated by square footage. The accounts are audited annually and to date we have had only one problem receiving payment which following the threat of legal action was resolved.

The "late payer" is now refusing to pay the next installment due until we disclose what each and every persons payment is.

I fail to see how this benefits that individual and believe it is a tactic to withold / delay payment. However the accounts are as per the covenants and are independantly checked by 2 directors and sent for auditing.

Should we disclose the other 29 peoples fees or will we fall foul of data protection?

Thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder Premium to consent
    by Limply
    Hi all,

I am looking at extending my leasehold flat by adding a newbuild next to the loft (will be erected on top of the first floor). I have just asked my freeholder for the process to follow. In the past they have asked me to pay a "Landlord’s premium for the consent to be established
    11-08-2022, 16:20 PM
  • Reply to Freeholder Premium to consent
    by Lawcruncher
    I was interrupted while writing post 12 and posted it before reading posts 10 and 11.

Of course if any improvement involves extending into an area not included in the demise the landlord can demand a premium for extending the area of the demise. Any discussion about how the premium should...
    12-08-2022, 11:12 AM
    by Lawcruncher
    "...not to be unreasonably withheld or delayed" does indeed indicate there is no absolute prohibition. No premium can be charged, only legal or other expenses properly incurred in connection with the consent. If the landlord comes up with silly figures or wants a fee to consider whether he...
    12-08-2022, 11:01 AM
    by AndrewDod
    Not sure I am following your answer here Lawcruncher
    In this case the proposal is to build outside of their demise.
    Certainly there is no computed entitlement, but if agreed the premium is likely to be at least half the added value. So it falls into your (1) with that as a typical premium....
    12-08-2022, 10:57 AM
    by Section20z
    The OP appears to want to extend his demise upwards into land he does not own and has no rights over. In these circumstances I would certainly be charging a large premium, strikes me as no different to granting previously undemised loft space.
    I know many canny freeholders have already granted...
    12-08-2022, 10:47 AM
    by Lawcruncher
    The notion that a landlord is entitled to an uplift if the tenant improves is widespread but entirely misconceived. When a long lease is granted at a full premium and ground rent the value in the bricks and mortar shifts so that it becomes tenant's percentage = very high and landlord's percentage =...
    12-08-2022, 10:01 AM
    by AndrewDod
    Those are all good points on the semantics. I suppose the practical issue is getting through the heads of purchasers of a lease that in a sense they are purchasing a contract, not a property - without overcomplicating it by telling them that everyone has a contract. Because the general public doesn't...
    12-08-2022, 09:42 AM
    by Lawcruncher
    Please see this thread: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...leasehold-flat....
    12-08-2022, 09:25 AM
  • Water leak. Who's responsible
    by Al123
    Not sure what the appropriate subtopic is, so decided to post this here.

A leak happened during the tenancy, and the management company is now forcing me to pay for the repairs to the flat below. All of my appliances and pipework have been thoroughly checked and tested by an independent...
    12-08-2022, 08:08 AM
  • Reply to Water leak. Who's responsible
    by jpkeates
    Unless there's something in the lease, which would be unusual, the onus isn't on you to prove that there wasn't a leak from your flat.
    It's for the management company or the downstairs neighbour to show that there was a leak and that it was due to your (or your tenant or tradesmen's negligence)....
    12-08-2022, 09:11 AM
Working...
X