Service Charge- covering Health & Safety Survey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
    You'd possibly get such a reaction from a lessee who knows little or nothing about freeholder's responsibilities, certainly not a responding surveyor, solicitor, managing agent, responsible freeholder.

You need to start thinking with a freeholder mind over and above your lessee mind. I hope that you and your fellow freeholders will continue to do your utmost to effectively manage your building.
    Ha ha, ok, advice accepted. It will be interesting to see the reaction of the others if I suggest HSE survey & insurance valuation, seeing as they are all newly-crowned freeholders too. (ie. it may make sense, but they will be paying it too). As a freeholder, I suppose it is nice that you can cover your back, as it were, for free, because you can pass the cost on to your leaseholders. As a leaseholder though, it does seem a trifle unfair that landlords can do this - but I can't blame anyone but myself for signing the lease in the first place! Seriously though: I won't buy leasehold again, little did I know what a can of worms had I signed up for..

Comment

Local Councils seem to be keen on HSE surveys especially in older buildings to identify health hazards like asbestos , fire risk items left under stairways like leftover painting material and cleaning fluids , blocked drains, rats appearing in building common areas etc., non-closing fire doors . The directors of the management company would face prosecution for any such offences.

In our block , we had to fix ( keep closed - fire door) labels on fire doors and post a notice in case of fire arising in building , on where residents must wait for head count .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
        by flyingfreehold
        Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
        21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
      • Reply to collective enfranchisement
        by flyingfreehold
        at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
        21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
      • Building works & S20 process
        by RichA
        Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
        21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
      • Reply to Building works & S20 process
        by scot22
        It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
        21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
      • Reply to collective enfranchisement
        by Tipper
        Ask lease-advice.org
        21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
      • Reply to Levy
        by scot22
        Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
        21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
      • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
        by Macromia
        They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
        21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
      • Changes to lease wording
        by bigalxyz
        In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

ÔÇťAre there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
        14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
      • Reply to Changes to lease wording
        by Lawcruncher
        If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
        21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
      • Reply to Levy
        by Macromia
        ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
        21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
      Working...
      X