Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leasehold extension (I am the landlord)

Hi There,
    I own a property that contains mine and then the ground floor. The owners of the ground floor flat have informed me they wish to progress witha leasehold extension without serving formal notice.

I have done some calculations as to what the fee would be for this and i think I am fairly on the money but I have questions over how the fees should be handled.

I have been quoted 600 GBP for the legal fees and 300+ VAT for the Surveyor to visit the property and then give me a viw of the fee and negociating terms. ARe these prices acurate and would I then wrap these costs into the final sum I quote to the leaseholder? Or could I make her pay in advance my fee's? Im just a little hesitant as if I pay the fees for the solicitor and surveyor and then she does not extend I am left baring these costs!

Please help.

As lessee (T) is not using statutory procedure, there is no statutory obligation to pay your fees. If T is using own solicitors, better to ensure that they give a professional indertaking to yours. If same firm is acting for both you and T, ensure that T deposits required funds with them (and that they agree with you and T the future use of the funds) before valuing/conveyancing begins.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

thanks for the prompt reply.

In regards to getting the Surveyor to value the extension - is a desktop excersise good enough or would it wise to have a full site visit? Obviously the site visit is more expensive but not sure if really required?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by donniedarko View Post
        thanks for the prompt reply.

In regards to getting the Surveyor to value the extension - is a desktop excersise good enough or would it wise to have a full site visit? Obviously the site visit is more expensive but not sure if really required?

Thanks again.
        What do I know? Surely surveyor should be asked this!
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

hahaha thanks! Are there any Surveyors around please?

Comment

There are. Send me an email with details of where the property is and I will probably be able to recommend a local surveyor.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X