Freehold of flat over Commercial (restaurant) premises?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold of flat over Commercial (restaurant) premises?

We live in a split level flat above a restaurant.

The Freehold comprises ground floor double unit restaurant and two split level flats above.
    The restaurant is on a 20 year lease (about 12 to run), we have 78 years to run of 99 year lease. I believe the other flat has similar lease.

We want to sell and the only enquiries are all about extending the lease.

I wondered if another alternative might be to buy the freehold - if it is possible to buy the freehold interest of the flat in this sort of situation.

All advice / suggestions appreciated.

You would only ever want to have the freehold of the whole building and if there is restaurant paying a commercial rent below then the value of the right to receive that rent will be considerable. Therefore quite apart from the legal issues, it is not going to be a sensible thing to seek to do.

If you bought the freehold of just the flats then in my view that would render the flats unmortgageable!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Webster View Post
      You would only ever want to have the freehold of the whole building and if there is restaurant paying a commercial rent below then the value of the right to receive that rent will be considerable. Therefore quite apart from the legal issues, it is not going to be a sensible thing to seek to do.

If you bought the freehold of just the flats then in my view that would render the flats unmortgageable!
      I agree with Richard.
      Jackieh- even without the f/r, you can extend existing lease by 90 yrs. once you've owned it for more than 2 yrs. See s.42 of 1993 Act.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Richard, Jeffrey, why would you think that the purchase of the freehold on just the flat might render the flats unmortgageable ?
        Many tks

Comment

This is all about the fact that you cannot enforce positive covenants (e.g. to maintain and insure a property) against a neighbouring freeholder (i.e. the owner of the part of the building above or below you) just because he happens to own that property - there must be a direct covenant entered into between you - so every time a freehold flat changes hands the new flat owner would have to enter into a deed of covenant with all the other flat/shop owners in the building (who would all have to sign) - this makes it completely unworkable.

If the property is leasehold then the landlord/lessor can enforce such covenants against the lessees.
          RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

very interesting Richard - tks for that
            But what is the difference between this situation (purchasing the freehold on the flats and leaving that of the restaurant to the current freeholder)and having a share of freehold in terms of enforcing positive convenants ? is it the fact that share of freehold only works if it refers to the whole building ?
            Tks

Comment

Share of freehold is not a separate type of title - leaseholdanswers is trying to find the person who invented the term to do nasty things to him because it causes so much confusion.

If 3 or 4 people have separate leasehold flats in a building and then those same people own the freehold of the whole building together they constitute the freeholder and it is no different from an outside freeholder - it is a collective ownership (and collective decision making as freeholder). No person can say "I have this part of the building as my part of the freehold..."
              RICHARD WEBSTER

Comment

Share of freehold is not a seperate title
                I have just read a Deed of Variation Draft
                with the words Freehold Title DT123456 Leasehold title DT 7891011
                This document was prepared by a local Solicitor
                I have a flat which is decribed as a freehold share or other words
                I hold a share of the freehold
                any comments
                Many Thanks to you guys for the site

Comment

which means there is still a ONE freeholder (which is a company where ppl are together directors) as opposed to TWO in the situation described above - Richard this is very clair and insightful - many thanks !

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
                    by Andrea Cunningham
                    Call an EGM. Make sure you give proper notice and that it is legal (download a boilerplate notice off the internet). In that EGM you can vote new directors in, or even vote the old directors out.
                    26-01-2022, 07:14 AM
                  • AGM cancelled.
                    by Grumio
                    Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                    26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
                  • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                    by SouthernDave
                    Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
                    i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
                    25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
                  • Reply to What can I do about my right of way.
                    by Trevor62

This is the ROW as it is in the land registry.

Can I ask another question?

As you can read it says Boundary determined by edge of pavings. Before the other party moved out they built a fence along the boundary though they build it on my side of the...
                    25-01-2022, 20:58 PM
                  • What can I do about my right of way.
                    by Trevor62
                    I live in the upper flat of a maisonette, I have a right of way that goes around the back of the building from the side entrance, there are only two flats in the building.

Anyway for years there has been a gate with a lock to go through the right of way, now for the past year the flat has...
                    23-01-2022, 23:01 PM
                  • Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                    by Andrea Cunningham
                    The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
                    04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
                  • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                    by Andrea Cunningham
                    As I said right at the beginning, there are some very sound reasons to do this which I wasn't going to go into. Suffice it to say that the current situation is one where the building I live in suffers under the tyranny of the majority of the larger building. So what is being sought is genuine control...
                    25-01-2022, 20:24 PM
                    by Andrea Cunningham
                    There is already no ground rent collected - so as I understand it the value of the freehold might be quite low anyway.

If this is all done by negotiation then it is a moot point regardless, and it brings me back to what I was actually asking about, which is how to fairly and equitably split...
                    25-01-2022, 20:10 PM
                    by Macromia
                    That potentially raises an interesting question about what happens to any money that needs to be paid for the enfranchisement.
                    At the moment payment is handed over, all those in the block being enfranchised would presumably cease to be members of the company - so wouldn't be entitled to any share...
                    25-01-2022, 19:40 PM
                    by Macromia
                    That may not be your intention, but it definitely seems like you haven't given proper consideration to what enfranchisement would involve.

What do the leases specifically say about what is included within service charge/maintenance costs and how service charge costs are to be split?...
                    25-01-2022, 19:25 PM
                  Working...
                  X