Sequence of events in enforcing covenants in lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sequence of events in enforcing covenants in lease?

Hi all -

I posted here some months ago about recovering unpaid money from a long leaseholder of our block of 8 flats, which we were successful in doing largely due to the very helpful advice I received from people in this forum, for which I am very grateful. I am the secretary of our management company, which looks after 8 flats, the one mentioned above is the only non- shareholder and is the source of all our problems. I have no legal background (I'm an illustrator) but when problems come up, it's me that gets the inevitable ring on the doorbell! (directors are 2 elderly ladies and next to useless)

I would be very grateful for any advice anyone can give regarding the same individual. His (downstairs) flat is in a poor state of repair and the back garden area is full of junk (old fridge, rusty radiator, household items etc), his grass uncut all year, his low front garden wall breaking down and back window frames quite rotten. This is all in breach of the terms of his lease which essentially require him to keep everything tidy and in good repair. Understandably, the owner of the upstairs flat (there are only 2 floors) wants this sorted and has asked what the management co. can do to help.

I know in the first instance we can write a strong letter to the individual detailing the breaches, what has to be done to rectify them and by what date, but if (when) this doesn't happen, what can we do next? How do we get these things fixed and who else do we have to write to, to legally enforce the lease and make the person get the things done? We have the details of both his (sub-prime) mortgage lenders, one of which paid up pronto the last time we approached them for outstanding money.

I realise the ultimate action is to apply to forfeit his lease, but there is a long road to get there. We are a very small non-profit management co and we would like to keep our costs low unless it becomes unavoidable to get professional help. I am happy to write letters to whoever myself, if I know the correct way of doing things!

Any suggestions or advice would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks -

Deb.

1. Write to his mortgagee (lender) warning of proceedings unless he rectifies.
    2. (If that fails) Serve Notices under:
    a. section 146 of Law of Property Act 1925; and
    b. Leasehold Property (Repairs) Act 1938.
    3. (If that fails) Apply to County Court for forfeiture.
    4. Lessee has a right of relief against forfeiture, for a limited time, so this may propel him into action- or else he'll lose his lease entirely.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you Jeffrey - that is exactly what I needed to know, and very helpful. Much appreciated!

Kind regards

Deb.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
        by Flatman78
        Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
        Thanks for taking time to reply though....
        23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
      • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
        by Flatman78
        Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
        with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
        23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
      • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
        by Flatman78
        Thanks Macromia, I'm hoping not to have to request quotes to include extra 'contingency' as I know some building materials literally jumped by up to 80% pretty much overnight and so I / we could end up paying a hell of a lot more than we have to go with a 'protective' quote.

It's only me...
        23-05-2022, 20:27 PM
      • RTM Hand Over Issues
        by martin15
        RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
        Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
        23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
      • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
        by ash72
        You could sue the other company for the money owed.
        23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
      • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
        by Hudson01
        I am clearly no expert but i think this statement from the all knowing WWW appears to fit the bill for what has happened to you.................

'' Fraud can be broadly defined as the deliberate use of deception or dishonesty to disadvantage or cause loss (usually financial) to another...
        23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
      • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
        by Gordon999
        You could show the last service charge demanded by previous managing agent . There should be a final summary of the service charge account.to show the unspent funds.
        23-05-2022, 18:26 PM
      • Old managing agents accounts
        by jazzythumper
        Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
        20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
      • Reply to Building works & S20 process
        by Macromia
        Good questions.
        The fact that the cost of work means that Section 20 consultation is required doesn't necessarily mean that it is major work that will require a project manager and, although most leases will contain clauses that allow the cost of project management to be recovered from leaseholders,...
        23-05-2022, 18:23 PM
      • Building works & S20 process
        by RichA
        Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
        21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
      Working...
      X