999 lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

999 lease

My hubby and I both pensioners live in a leasehold flat belonging to our daughters.
    It is a large house divided in two the freeholders living upstairs.
    The freehold is 999 years a peppercorn rent.
    How do they get to be freeholders to as they have to pay half of all the repairs etc and the guy upstairs is a tyrant and a bully who makes our life pretty miserable.
    We have a lease but it does not mention insurance for the building is he responsible for that and we pay half?? at the moment we pay for the building

Is there a code of conduct for freeholders that i can look at?
    Should he have presented us with a building maintenance program etc is that his responsibilty??

Your post is a bit garbled, but here goes. Is this analysis correct?

1. Your daughters (T) own a long lease.
    2. Their landlord (L):
    a. owns entire building's freehold; and
    b. lives upstairs.
    3. The lease must surely state that L or T has to insure. Usually, L insures whole and T pays service charge inc. share of insurance premium.
    4. The lease's service charge provisions normally cover other matters- e.g. repairs, maintenance,etc. of common parts.
    5. Whose is the building's structure (not only its ownership butalso the associated repairs/maintenance? Is it:
    a. part of the demised property (flat), as defined in lease; or
    b. not part of flat but just part of freehold?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

999yr lease

The freeholders have never presented us with a written agreement re the maintenance of the building the only contibutions we have been asked for and contributed to are the gardener and window cleaner...Quite frankly the place needs the roof overhauling and painting...
      The lease does say about us paying half of the repairs but should not the freeholder have with us a maintenance plan where we both pay into it and both have say for the work needed.
      The freeholders are letting the place go its devaluing the property...
      This is no mention in the lease re the insurance for the property but as you are aware you cannot get insurance for a leashold so we pay for the whole building.
      They wont answer my questions re their insurance so I dont know if both of us are paying or they are only paying for the upstairs flat.

Comment

Re the insurance - Usually you can't insure the whole building anyway, as you have no interest in the whole building. *IF* someone is letting you insure it, I suspect that if something ever happened, it would be very much grounds for them to then disallow the claim.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
          by Flatman78
          Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
          Thanks for taking time to reply though....
          23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
        • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
          by Flatman78
          Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
          with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
          23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
        • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
          by Flatman78
          Thanks Macromia, I'm hoping not to have to request quotes to include extra 'contingency' as I know some building materials literally jumped by up to 80% pretty much overnight and so I / we could end up paying a hell of a lot more than we have to go with a 'protective' quote.

It's only me...
          23-05-2022, 20:27 PM
        • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
          by ash72
          You could sue the other company for the money owed.
          23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
        • RTM Hand Over Issues
          by martin15
          RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
          Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
          23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
        • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
          by Hudson01
          I am clearly no expert but i think this statement from the all knowing WWW appears to fit the bill for what has happened to you.................

'' Fraud can be broadly defined as the deliberate use of deception or dishonesty to disadvantage or cause loss (usually financial) to another...
          23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
        • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
          by Gordon999
          You could show the last service charge demanded by previous managing agent . There should be a final summary of the service charge account.to show the unspent funds.
          23-05-2022, 18:26 PM
        • Old managing agents accounts
          by jazzythumper
          Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
          20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
        • Building works & S20 process
          by RichA
          Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
          21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
        • Reply to Building works & S20 process
          by Macromia
          Good questions.
          The fact that the cost of work means that Section 20 consultation is required doesn't necessarily mean that it is major work that will require a project manager and, although most leases will contain clauses that allow the cost of project management to be recovered from leaseholders,...
          23-05-2022, 18:23 PM
        Working...
        X