Asked to store all bins in flat (UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asked to store all bins in flat (UK)

Recently moved into a flat. When we moved in everyone stored their bins in the communal hallway, which wasn't ideal mess wise but generally I didn't mind. But someone has now complained to the council, with the council agreeing that there shouldn't be anything blocking a fire escape route. The estate agent has asked everyone to move their bins into their respective flats or own garden. This isn't so much an issue, they're not wheelie bins, but a recycling box, large food caddy and rubbish and paper recycling bags, but while some of the other flats have a garden they can store theirs in, I don't and can only store them in the flat. Was just wondering if the agency isn't required to provide some sort of a communal bin area instead? Thank you

Confused. Where are the black bins that the council actually tips into their trucks? They won't be in the flats.

If you are talking about your own private temporary bins on route to the council bins, then no, they can't be stored in the communal area.

Comment

Agree with above, in my kitchen i have bins for non recycling, paper and plastic..... they are then taken out to the big bins outside for the trucks to pick up ?? So as said, if they are the bins we all have in our homes then of course they need to stay in the flat.

Comment

Unfortunately councils who require waste to be separated into multiple bins (our council has 4) never consider how people who live in small flats are supposed to store this rubbish in separate containers between trips to the large bins from which the refuse workers collect. Are householders (some of whom may be elderly or disabled) supposed to make multiple trips downstairs to the large bins on a daily basis?

I imagine some householders in this position make ONE trip on their way out to work and dump it all (unseparated) into the nearest bin regardless of what is supposed to go into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Suleiman View Post
          .................and dump it all (unseparated) into the nearest bin regardless of what is supposed to go into it.
          Nope, i have a door in the kitchen (about the same size as an intergrated dishwasher door), which behind it has a cavity and a metal frame with 3 separate olastic bins, these are used to store the plastic, paper and non recyclable waste, then yes, once a day i go out to the main bins at the side of my house and empty them, i thought this was perfectly normal.

Comment

Does the lease have anything to say about refuse disposal?

Comment

The council in my area does not collect recycling from most blocks of flats (unless they have specifically be assessed as suitable to have recycling bins).
              I keep all recyclables inside my flat and periodically take them to recycling centres myself and don't consider this to be a problem.

Unless you lease says that the freeholder has to provide a communal area for all waste, including recycling, they almost certainly don't have to.

Comment

No there's no communal bins. All flats just have their own bins which we put out once a week and bring in again. I don't think there's anything in the contract regarding the bins so looks like it just needs to be stored in the flat. It is nice it's collected every week at least, my last place was fortnightly although that had access to outdoor stored bins.

Comment

There's no big communal or council bins to be clear. The bin truck people just grab the rubbish bags from the sacks and puts them in the truck, or the recycling bin people tip the recycling out of their individual (small) bins into the truck.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                    by divadee
                    Hi, I hope I can write this in a clear way that makes sense!

We bought a leaseholders flat in 2016, the next year we bought the limited company that held the freehold. This was done as no other leaseholder were interested in buying the freehold a few months prior to us buying our leasehold...
                    16-08-2022, 16:37 PM
                  • Reply to Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                    by sgclacy
                    It would appear to have claimed roll over relief on the statutory lease extension where £14k was received - unless you had bought a property to roll over the gain this may have been premature

so on a base cost of £18k you will have received £12k plus £14k a gain of £8k so corp tax...
                    16-08-2022, 19:53 PM
                  • Reply to Ground rent arrears from executor
                    by Martin448A
                    Ground rent is £75 year, don’t have lease details with me but around 150 years
                    16-08-2022, 19:51 PM
                  • Ground rent arrears from executor
                    by Martin448A
                    Hi,
                    received a letter out the blue from someone claiming to be the executor of the deceased freeholders of my leasehold maisonette. Have never receive ground rent request for payment for any of the years I have owned the property or has the other maisonette in my building.
                    They are now requesting...
                    16-08-2022, 00:30 AM
                  • Reply to Sale of Freehold - Tax to Pay
                    by Gordon999
                    Here is my rough understanding of your situation :

1. Your purchase of the limited company for £17K in 2017 was probably entered in the company's accounts as funded by a "director's personal loan".

2. The limited company received £14K for granting...
                    16-08-2022, 19:09 PM
                  • Right To Pass and Re-Pass (Not to Obstruct)
                    by LondonCalling
                    I am the owner/occupier of a leasehold first floor flat in a converted property consisting of two flats. The freeholder owns and is the occupier of the ground floor leasehold flat. There is a passageway/right of way from the road along the side of the building to my ground floor front door entrance....
                    16-08-2022, 16:26 PM
                  • Reply to What constitutes ‘development’ in a leasehold
                    by Gordon999
                    If the wording in the lease does not state the boiler belongs to the lessor ( freeholder), then you can replace it without seeking consent from freeholder. Sometimes replacing old boiler may be a necessity if spare parts are no longer sold.

If you believe consent is required for boiler...
                    16-08-2022, 16:07 PM
                  • What constitutes ‘development’ in a leasehold
                    by SouthernDave
                    I’ve seen this question come up before, but I couldn’t find a topic specific to this question;
                    we have bought a leasehold flat which needs major work. I have submitted drawings to the freeholder for their permission to put up a wall and make a new door way, BUT…
                    changing the kitchen...
                    15-08-2022, 16:50 PM
                  • Reply to Ground rent arrears from executor
                    by Gordon999
                    Ash72 is correct. Ground rent in arrears can only be recovered for last 6 years. The GR must be demanded and served with proper notice by the freeholder or agent or executor , otherwise payment is not due ( and you can refuse to pay interest) .

How many years remaining on the lease...
                    16-08-2022, 15:27 PM
                  • Reply to What constitutes ‘development’ in a leasehold
                    by Section20z
                    In 40 years I have never been asked for consent to move a boiler but if a new flue hole was being made I would expect to be asked...
                    16-08-2022, 13:23 PM
                  Working...
                  X